Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hipsters...Cool or not?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

Hipsterdom has to be the worst generational culture ever. Hippies, goths, punks, grunge people all had better styles and music than these people. Hipster music is as irritating as their style. The screechy guitars, the overuse of synth, the stupid mockney accents, the lyrics about the mundane things in life recast in a "philosophical" context. What litle switch turns on in someone's mind to look like this? The style is self evidently a fcking abomination. When will this hipster craze fck off and die? It's been around for too long already, like 12 twelve years. I hate it all.

Loving these two words, gonna start using these :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I'm sensing a lot of bootcut jeans in this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Hipsterdom has to be the worst generational culture ever. Hippies, goths, punks, grunge people all had better styles and music than these people. Hipster music is as irritating as their style. The screechy guitars, the overuse of synth, the stupid mockney accents, the lyrics about the mundane things in life recast in a "philosophical" context. What litle switch turns on in someone's mind to look like this? The style is self evidently a fcking abomination. When will this hipster craze fck off and die? It's been around for too long already, like 12 twelve years. I hate it all.

Just out of interest, what artists do you consider as hipster music?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

Hipster men? Cool.....if you like your comedy mobile and unaware of it's comedic apperance to the general population.otherwise,really,you intentionally dressed like that?should've gone to specsavers man,I think you DO REALLY need lenses in them specs......

Hipster women?eh,yeah,a lot seem to be quite hot imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

brummytom wrote: »
    Cunts

you forgot patronizing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

I used to be a hipster back in the day, had the VW van, suede jacket with tassles, a mad tshirt with psychdelic leanings, a bandanna and a long mane. I loved my vinyl until cassettes came along

Love was free back then too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Listening to records makes you a "hipster"? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

smokedeels wrote: »

Records? Yes. Unless you are 50 years old+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Listening to records on a portable record player at the pub makes you a hipster.

Na, Id love to be loaded and have my favourite albums on vinyl.. Anyways, I think they should be shot but at the same time, I'm glad they exist to make me feel genuine in my jeans and tshirt.

Fashion for ladies, good looking but appropriate clothing for men. If the occasion calls for it, wear it. Whether it be suits, jeans, shorts, hoodies, shirts etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

alphabeat wrote: »
    as a person who has to wear glasses

anyone who wears them with no lenses or clear glass, deserves to be beaten to death with their own face.

end of fcuking story

Aren't glasses mostly clear? So you can...I dunno...like SEE!
    Duggy747 wrote: »
    Hipsters, so non-conforming that you can instantly spot one and know they're a hipster :pac:

The clothes don't bother me, well, bar the awful skinny jeans............and the fake glasses.................and the pointy leather shoes that look like Wizard of Oz props.

What really grates me is how to some it's cool to wear glasses and that being a self-proclaimed nerd is so in right now.......................we're not talking about "upgrading to 8GB DDR3 RAM and overclocking my i5 2500k" nerd here, rather "I once played a Gameboy........I'm soooooo retro!!"

The psuedo-philosophical, idealogical pictures and quotes they usually lump around the place are cringe-worthy, too.

Really, I always get a sense that I'm not seeing the real person. More like a cartoon version of themselves while their real selves is buried under mounds of fake irony and sarcasm. Liking Spongebob Squarepants also seems to be mandatory to them :pac:

Leave Spongebob out of this :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

How did the Hipster burn his tongue?

He tried to drink his tea before it was cool.

Hipsters only drink coffee, if they like the taste of it or not :(:(:(:(

How much does a Hipster weigh?
    An Instagram!

Brilliance!

Doc wrote: »
    Listening to records on a portable record player at the pub makes you a hipster.

Good point.

I've seen worse,

A lad in the Workman's club smoking area reading a copy of Ulysses. It was about 1am and he had decided to move to the highest point in the smoking area to enjoy it better (or perhaps to be seen more clearly)

He looked to be no more than 10 pages in and gave up after some time.

Or enjoy the artwork, or want an album that hasn't been issued on CD.

Vinyl makes a better frisbee too.

Fashion for ladies, good looking but appropriate clothing for men. If the occasion calls for it, wear it. Whether it be suits, jeans, shorts, hoodies, shirts etc.

You sound like the Pub Landlord.

I'm no fashionista, but this attitude bothers me. It stinks of machismo, "MEN should only wear simple appropriate clothing and their hair cuts must be tight". It's a frankly boring way to approach clothing.

There's the other extreme, I'll grant you, when somebody looks like an E4 presenter, but sporting a pair of drainpipe jeans is hardly a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

I'm no fashionista, but this attitude bothers me. It stinks of machismo, "MEN should only wear simple appropriate clothing and their hair cuts must tight". It's a frankly boring way to approach clothing.

There's the other extreme, I'll grant you, when somebody looks like an E4 presenter, but sporting a pair of drainpipe jeans is hardly a big deal.

Unfortunately a large part of the population are still stuck in the 1950's, sad but true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Doc wrote: »

No it doesn't, it's makes you a fcuking eejit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Burt Lancaster

hipsters were cool, now they are so 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Good point.

I've seen worse,

A lad in the Workman's club smoking area reading a copy of Ulysses. It was about 1am and he had decided to move to the highest point in the smoking area to enjoy it better (or perhaps to be seen more clearly)

He looked to be no more than 10 pages in and gave up after some time.

Dear sweet Jesus....
    No it doesn't, it's makes you a fcuking eejit

What's the difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Looks like there are one or two hipsters in their Buddy Holly glasses and scratchy figure-hugging jumpers outing themselves on here.

It had to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

When will this hipster craze fck off and die? It's been around for too long already, like 12 twelve years. I hate it all.
    I was a hipster back in '97/ '98

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Good point.

I've seen worse,

What an eejit. Everyone knows Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man is the perfect Joyce novel for late bars & nightclubs.

I hope he felt suitably embarrassed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

hipsters were cool, now they are so 2007

but tthe actual thrend started in the 90's got mainstream ( oh the irony ) around 2004-2006 and well...

theirs Always someone cooler then you... standing in the corner acting like morrissey with the social talents of a carrot.

Personally I hate the word 'hipster'.

It's become way too popular in the past few years.

I preferred mocking people by calling them hipsters before it got all mainstream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I will let Penny demonstrate :D

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I'm a hipster, but only ironically.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Hipsters were so much better in the 50's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Although Im not a hipster, I actually find them very attractive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭weemcd

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Personally I hate the word 'hipster'.

He's right, lets simplify it down to ****, cúnts, and wanker cúnts for the absolute worst specimen

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

The hipster look is about as cool as Satan's nutsack and twice as ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

blacklilly wrote: »
    Although Im not a hipster, I actually find them very attractive

hipster_metal.jpg

340x_screen_shot_2010-09-10_at_2.03.02_pm.jpg

I'm no fashionista, but this attitude bothers me. It stinks of machismo, "MEN should only wear simple appropriate clothing and their hair cuts must be tight". It's a frankly boring way to approach clothing.

I didn't say simple.. I said appropriate. As in, I'll wear whatever it is that suits what I'm doin.

When I teach where parents will see me, I wear a brown leather white white face watch, a shirt and slacks. Parents like it.
    If it's just kids seeing me, I'll wear jeans, collar t-shirt and converse.
    If I'm going to the park, I'll wear shirts and flip-flops.
    If I'm going to the shop next door, I'll just wear a pair of shorts, usually not even a t-shirt or flip flops.
    If I'm getting pissed with the lads, I'll wear jeans/shorts and a t-shirt.
    If I'm going out with the girlfriend and her friends or meeting her parents, I'll wear somethin nicer and trim the beard.

I work with a hipster who comes into school with a fold-up bike.. He looks an absolute mess and the teachers/kids all thing he looks like a plank. He ended up in a party in my house dressed the exact same while everyone else is in shorts and bikinis . I met him in a nightclub, wearing the same thing sweating his bollucks off in his fully buttoned shirt and cardigan.

When I say fashion is for girls, they can have their styles for each occasion and usually mix things up.
    When I say fashion isn't for guys, it's because a guy like the above usually sticks to one style for every occasion. I'm a hipster / rocker etc.
    When I say appropriate clothing for guys, I mean someone like me who doesn't care much for keeping a certain fashion but just wears whatever it is that suits.

I work with a hipster who comes into school with a fold-up bike..

Does he take a train some of the way?
    I didn't say simple.. I said appropriate. As in, I'll wear whatever it is that suits what I'm doin.

When I teach where parents will see me, I wear a brown leather white white face watch, a shirt and slacks. Parents like it.
    If I'm going to the shop next door, I'll just wear a pair of shorts, usually not even a t-shirt or flip flops.
    If I'm going out with the girlfriend and her friends or meeting her parents, I'll wear somethin nicer and trim the beard.

I work with a hipster who comes into school with a fold-up bike.. He looks an absolute mess and the teachers/kids all thing he looks like a plank. He ended up in a party in my house dressed the exact same while everyone else is in shorts and bikinis . I met him in a nightclub, wearing the same thing sweating his bollucks off in his fully buttoned shirt and cardigan.

When I say fashion is for girls, they can have their styles for each occasion and usually mix things up.
    When I say fashion isn't for guys, it's because a guy like the above usually sticks to one style for every occasion. I'm a hipster / rocker etc.
    When I say appropriate clothing for guys, I mean someone like me who doesn't care much for keeping a certain fashion but just wears whatever it is that suits.

I think Irish people in general don't dress appropriately for the weather, it's not exclusively a hipster, goth, rocker thing.

You sound like you present an image that you feel comfortable projecting to the world, altering it based on context. I don't understand why you care about the clothing worn by others.

Additionally, I understand from your post that you have a beard, therefore I think my chances of besting you in a debate are slim :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Pdfile wrote: »
    but tthe actual thrend started in the 90's got mainstream ( oh the irony ) around 2004-2006 and well...

I was a hipster in the late 70's, now I wear a business suit and have nothing to do with these moth eaten wooly types.

Move with the times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

You must be taking the p!ss...

You sound like you present an image that you feel comfortable projecting to the world, altering it based on context. I don't understand why you care about the clothing worn by others.

Additionally, I understand from your post that you have a beard, therefore I think my chances of besting you in a debate are slim :)

I don't present any "image".. I just wear what's comfortable and when I have to present myself well, I do it. Like certain times teaching and when I'm with my girlfriend's friends/family.

This guy I work with wears his hipster clothes and wears his hipster personality everywhere embarrassing himself in the process.. No Vietnamese girl would ever bring him home to meet the family and it's very unlikely he'll get his job back back after the summer because of it. Already seen his job advertised.

When he got really drunk and I was chatting to him, his real personality came out and I actually liked him.. I don't have a problem with clothes in particular, I have a problem with someone adopting a whole new persona. It's fake and I could never be friends with someone who can't be themselves.

Birneybau wrote: »
    You must be taking the p!ss...

Nope. Explaining my logic step by step after someone called me up on it.. If ya actually read it, I'd say 90% of people are the same, I just put it in words. And they're not rules, just examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

But, the white faced watch, do people actually give a fcuk about kind of sh!te?

I should probably subscribe to GQ.

Currently living in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, birthplace of the modern hipster, and I find them fine, I walk around in shorts and a t-shirt (it's pretty hot), I don't bother them, they don't bother me.

Maybe it's different in Vietnam?

Birneybau wrote: »
    But, the white faced watch, do people actually give a fcuk about kind of sh!te?

Maybe it's different in Vietnam?

The parents in Vietnam who pay fortunes for their kids to study in private schools definitely "give a fuk about that shlte". And the same with the parents who pay me over $30/h to teach their kids outside of school. I'm friends with two other guys who approach teaching like I do and we make alot more money than our other friends who don't have a suit between cause they don't take teaching seriously..

If a watch helps me look as nonbackpackery as possible for the parents and land me more privates, I'll wear it. That's not fashion, it's money and for want of a better term, it's being dressed appropriately.
    The hipster who got hired directly from an agency in America doesn't stand a chance.. The parents see it and they complain.

Vietnam is like Ireland when everyone cared about brands so much that it bankrupted parents. It's also a place where a girl will expect her boyfriend to dress nicely for her parents and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I'm with Ads By Google on this one.

I'm a metaller through and through, had the long hair, leather jacket, beard, piercings, band shirts etc. Why? Cos I ****ing liked it and I've no interest in fashion whatsoever, I was comfortable and that's all that mattered, though I'd happily stick on a football jersey and tracksuit bottoms if I so desired and couldn't give a bollix what some irrelevant ****wit stranger thought of me. I'd have most likely dressed that way anyway even if I hated metal.

No longer have the piercings and long hair for no other reason than that I just tired of them. Still wear everything else, though I have zero problem dressing in a way that's appropriate for the situation at hand.

If wearing the band shirt isn't a runner then I'll stick on something that fits the occasion, doesn't change who I am one jot.

You're a muppet if you think that the clothes or hairstyles you wear define you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement