Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The C word...

• 24-06-2012 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

No, I don't mean cancer, I mean the other C word. That's right, the rude one.

I probably bandy this about a bit too much but was pretty surprised when a friend of mine flipped at me in the pub for saying it about someone. It wasn't that they knew each other, my friend just felt that the word was disrespectful to women. I explained that I use it liberally and without gender discrimination but she wasn't having any of it.

I can't remember ever using this to describe a lady's part (and very rarely hear it being used as such) so I maintain that it's just another rude word. Whatever about its etymology, in popular parlance - when spoken about someone - it doesn't mean anything except a very grave insult.

What are other boards users' feelings about this? Is it offensive to women or is it just another "bad word"? Would you ever use it or is it a big "no no"?

EDIT: As it stands, the poll seems to be 5:1 saying the word's okay but there are 11 people who don't care for it. What exactly is offensive about it? Is it its sound, its original meaning, its ferocity? I'm just really curious as to what exactly people don't like about it

The C word: thumbs up or down? 88 votes

It's disgusting.
    0% 0 votes
    Ah, it's okay.
    100% 88 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

call someone a dick in her company, if she doesn't flip out then call her a **** for being such a hypocrite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I hate hate hate that C word !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

I use it freely. It's reserved for people I hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

solerina wrote: »

What exactly is it that you dislike so much, though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

You meant cunt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm guilty of using the c word a lot, and the f word as well. It's just a habit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

It's a bad bad word but I think permissable to use it when someone is a bad bad person. It still holds shock value for me but I do think quite a lot of people are cnuts so probably use it more liberally than I should :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Constantly use it. I don't see how it's offensive to women - I never associate it with ladybits unless in that context, same with all other swear-words and their original meanings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

What starts with a 'C', ends with a 'T', and is hairy on the outside and moist on the inside? ..

Coconut....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

English gangster films would not work without it ya fackin cant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

only c.unts hate the word c.unt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

It's just another curse word. I'm female and I often call people a c*unt and have no problem if it's said to me - it's all just banter.

I hate the word clit though, but it doesn't offend me. Some people are too pc these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Bunch of cocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Personally I think it is the most vulgar of all the "bad words".

I still use it regularly though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

only ***** hate the word ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭davetherave

Chocolate? Yeah it's okay. Better calling them that than calling them naggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I don't use it that much, but it doesn't offend me at all ... I honestly don't understand why some people find it so offensive compared to any other swear word. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Lord Bafford

Why pussy foot about with this c-word ****e? :rolleyes:

CUNT!

That's better. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭Archeron

Why pussy foot about with this c-word ****e? :rolleyes:

CUNT!

That's better. :P

And thats the last thing I see before I go asleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

It's such an amazing word. It has an oomph factor to it that no other swear word has.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I've no problem with it whatsoever. I never even knew it was meant to describe lady parts until I watched Saturday Night Fever a few years ago. I think its about as relevant for that description nowadays as a "yahoo" is to describe political dissidents. (You cannot call someone a yahoo in the dail!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I think it's stronger than fuck or shit. I don't use it at all, although some of my friends use it very frequently. It doesn't offend me if others say it though (unless they're calling me one :P).

I think I only ever said it once in my entire life - when my brother was driving me mental when I was about 10 (I had no idea what it meant, I'd just heard some of the other kids say it). I can still remember how upset/offended he looked... and have never used it since :o

I just don't really like the sound of the word. Fuck or bollocks work better for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Onixx wrote: »
    Constantly use it. I don't see how it's offensive to women - I never associate it with ladybits unless in that context, same with all other swear-words and their original meanings.

it doesnt matter what you associate it with. everyone knows what it realy means.

PucaMama wrote: »
    it doesnt matter what you associate it with. everyone knows what it realy means.

But does everyone associate it what it really means? I mean, language evolves. Has this word's real meaning faded into the background?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

I use it alot. Supposedly your not meant to say it in front of Americans, they get very offended, has a more stronger meaning over there I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

it's a great word, mainly cos so many people hate it and overreact to it - makes it even funnier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I use it a lot as well, it's a brilliant word especially when Paulie Gualtieri says it:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

It doesn't bother me at all but it's not a word I use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Oh but that's not gonna stop me from using it ya see. Not sure it has a real meaning anyway - swear words are imbued with lots of meanings, unlike a noun such as e.g. book, which is pretty objective.

• Advertisement

Oh but that's not gonna stop me from using it ya see. Not sure it has a real meaning anyway - swear words are imbued with lots of meanings, unlike a noun such as e.g. book, which is pretty objective.

Cnut's a noun too, though. I think its proper meaning is very objective for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Shreddy Krueger

I really dont see how a word can offend somebody. Its annoys me that when I turn on the news theres always some war footage or some guy being scraped of the tarmac and no one bats an eyelid , say f.uck or C.unt and everyone loses their sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

It doesn't offend me but I don't really use it. I think getting offended by swear words is silly, it just gives the word more "power" and makes it more offensive than it actually is, if that makes sense.

Anyone that regularly swears or tolerates swearing but gets offended by the "c" word is a hypocrite. I don't see what's so special about it.

I really dont see how a word can offend somebody. Its annoys me that when I turn on the news theres always some war footage or some guy being scraped of the tarmac and no one bats an eyelid , say f.uck or C.unt and everyone loses their sh*t.

Well, it's the sentiment that's behind it, isn't it? No word has any inherent meaning, its associations are assigned. In an offensive context (as opposed to joking around with your mates), calling someone a cnut represents something very, very serious. The word/noise means nothing in itself, it's what's understood by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Novella wrote: »
    It doesn't bother me at all but it's not a word I use.

Same as. Its not in my vocab and I rarely hear people use it so it doesn't bother me.

Saying "You stupid fucking fanny" doesn't have the same ring to it I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vj2iQSeboA

It's a ****ing word .... you should have put the pompous bitch in her place and not let her throw a tantrum like a child.

It's almost just fluid with a lot irish people and our accent .... I almost don't even notice using it sometimes it's so common.

• Advertisement

MaxSteele wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vj2iQSeboA

It's a ****ing word .... you should have put the pompous bitch in her place and not let her throw a tantrum like a child.

It's almost just fluid with a lot irish people and our accent .... I almost don't even notice using it sometimes it's so common.

Well that's what I argued. I think it's evolved into something less savage than, say, five or ten years ago (when it was far, far less common to hear).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Give me a
    C - Crazy Cnut
    U - Ugly Cnut
    N - Nasty Cnut
    T - The state of that cnut

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paddymayoman

I guess that coconut gettin eatin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I remember in Primary School we imbued all the fingers with swears. The middle was The Big F, as is traditional. The pinkie was shįt, and the index was bastard, which in retrospect was a bit misguided.

But the ring finger was on another level entirely - by raising it, you were calling your foe a cnut. Ultimately, that was too far, as the guy who got detention for the action found out.

Needless to say, the finger swears died a swift death soon after, and we all learned to place The C Word on its special pedestal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I don't like the word and hate to hear someone use it as an insult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Love it.. (the word)

Rolls right off the tongue:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

I find that the very women who dare not speak the word and are offended by it's utterance in public are in fact the ones that when drunk and partaking in a little sexual shananigans, the type to spew forth pure filth and the word cunt is usually the word of choice among the suddenly limited xxx vocabulary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

So what words do you like, fuck or wanker or bollox or maybe clit?

The word doesn't bother me in the slightest but ii would only use it to describe someone who was a cunt.

What I do hate is when people use the code for it. C U Next Tuesdsy. Just friggen say the word!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

I'm not offended by it, but for me, it's the nuclear option of swear words. It's reserved for someone who's done something completely irredeemable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Yes it does have a real meaning. Look it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Having hissy fits over words is far more unacceptable than the word itself. OP your friend is a cunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i use it all the time and im not the slightest bit offended by it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MarkyTheLips

I feel a hatred of it or words like it signify guilt or embarrassment about what are simply body parts/bodily functions.. I like how it feels to roll that particular word (and the body part it represents) around my tongue.. :pac:.. Very abrupt and stacatto.. So no, not offended by it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Its an ugly sounding word and I never use it, but I'm not offended by it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement