Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The C word...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Its not that bad a word, I use it but rarely just like most other "bad" words. I mainly only curse at my laptop, when I'm playing FM to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

It never bothered me until one day an ex of mine was being a... cúnt, for want of a better word, and was having a drunken go at me. He said, "And as for you, ya fcuking CÚNT!" And proceeded along that manner. It just sounded so vicious and nasty. I didn't like it much.

In general though I don't mind it and have used it myself, though not in the same manner as above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MarkyTheLips

Jaxxy wrote: »
    It never bothered me until one day an ex of mine was being a... cúnt, for want of a better word, and was having a drunken go at me. He said, "And as for you, ya fcuking CÚNT!" And proceeded along that manner. It just sounded so vicious and nasty. I didn't like it much.

In general though I don't mind it and have used it myself, though not in the same manner as above.

Exactly.. It's the venom put behind it that I'd object to..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Cnut's a noun too, though. I think its proper meaning is very objective for most people.
    Yeah I know its a noun. What I mean is: its meaning is a lot more fluid than a noun like book or table. When a person is called a cuntt, it implies theyre an awful person or it might be a joke. Theyre not being called a vagina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

POLL

It's disgusting. 19 15.32%

yizzer no crack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

You've offended me OP. This sums up my feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mickey Lover

I would never use it to describe lady parts :) but I keep it in reserve for those that really deserve it. For me it's a strong insult, so I'd use geebag first but if someone was really nasty then they're a cnut :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭kev250

I would never use it to describe lady parts :) but I keep it in reserve for those that really deserve it. For me it's a strong insult, so I'd use geebag first but if someone was really nasty then they're a cnut :D

Iv only ever heard that in talafornia, must be a Leinster thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

The PC Brigade should get out more.

Bunch of coconuts that they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

Its not offensive at all to me. And I always thought it wasnt in Ireland, but seems American TV has turned a lot of people in this country into big sandy c u next tuesdays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Nothing wrong with it. Cúnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mickey Lover

kev250 wrote: »
    Iv only ever heard that in talafornia, must be a Leinster thing.

You've never heard geebag in Cork ?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

realies wrote: »
    What starts with a 'C', ends with a 'T', and is hairy on the outside and moist on the inside? ..

Coconut....

Yeah but what's long, hard and has cum in it?

Cucumber....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

The big C.
    Not nice to use in everyday conversation.
    Whichever C you use. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Larianne wrote: »
    Same as. Its not in my vocab and I rarely hear people use it so it doesn't bother me.

Saying "You stupid fucking fanny" doesn't have the same ring to it I guess.

Very unusual that you rarely hear anyone using it. Sure wouldn't most people use it at some point in their day? They do in my working day anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I think the poll says it all. It's not that bad, when used in company of friends.

I use it all the time but I'm hardy going to say it to my parish priest!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

Like a lot of others have said, if it's used venomously it's horrible but really it's just a word. It isn't a word I'd use with any regularity but I've surprised myself by hearing myself use it while cycling and a motorist treats me badly. Thankfully that's a very rare occurrence.

A chap I used spend time with, a few years ago, used say it with such regularity the word lost all meaning. If he'd been typing all his conversations, those 4 letters would have been worn away on the keyboard long before the rest. Didn't offend me in the slightest but I prefer to save it for when I really want to express how pissed off I am. Which isn't all that often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

One of my favourite words, and I say that as a girl. I don't understand how people particularly women are offended by it, as someone else said would they be as offended if someone called someone a dick. Its the very same thing but because that's the word for a mans genitalia it isnt nearly offensive.bMaking such a big deal out of it only gives it more power, which makes it all the more fun for me :D.

I use it all the time :o
    And not usually in a bad way, I'd say it to friends a lot. If I'm saying it through my teeth then I mean it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I think its a horrible nasty word. It is often used very aggressively. In my mind it is a certain type of person that incorporates it into their everyday language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

In my mind it's used by scumbags.
    If someone called me a **** I'd smack them, it surprises me so many users would be ok with it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

It's just another curse word/insult that stems from the pelvic region. Nothing to see here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Presumably the OP is posting from amerikey :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

People are still bothered by the word cùnt? :confused:

py2006 wrote: »
    I think its a horrible nasty word. It is often used very aggressively. In my mind it is a certain type of person that incorporates it into their everyday language.
    biko wrote: »
    If someone called me a **** I'd smack them, it surprises me so many users would be ok with it though.

Ten years ago I would have felt the same as both of you, and while I don't use it in my everyday language (I don't curse as a matter of course in my everyday speech) I no longer feel it's as terrible a word as I once did. Unless it's being used aggressively and being spat at me by someone with venom. In such a situation though, being spoken to aggressively/venomously would bother me, no matter what words were being used.

I've been trying to figure out (since reading this thread) why I used feel it was a dreadful word - I think it was just considered the worst thing you could call someone, but I don't see why it was afforded that title while calling someone a dick remained fairly innocuous.

Thinking back to when my grandmother was alive, if she heard you say 'feck' she'd tut and tell you wash your mouth out.

When I lived in Scotland, a friend of mine used say 'buckin' instead of ****in'. Used make me laugh - though I could never understand why she didn't just say the word without changing the first letter.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does your friend pronounce 'twat' as twot?

Does your friend pronounce 'twat' as twot?

Never heard her use that word, so I dunno. It wasn't an accent thing - just some weird notion of cursing without actually cursing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Ahh, don't be such a cunt about it.

It's only a word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Fizzlesque wrote: »
    Ten years ago I would have felt the same as both of you, and while I don't use it in my everyday language (I don't curse as a matter of course in my everyday speech) I no longer feel it's as terrible a word as I once did. Unless it's being used aggressively and being spat at me by someone with venom. In such a situation though, being spoken to aggressively/venomously would bother me, no matter what words were being used.

I've been trying to figure out (since reading this thread) why I used feel it was a dreadful word - I think it was just considered the worst thing you could call someone, but I don't see why it was afforded that title while calling someone a dick remained fairly innocuous.

Thinking back to when my grandmother was alive, if she heard you say 'feck' she'd tut and tell you wash your mouth out.

When I lived in Scotland, a friend of mine used say 'buckin' instead of ****in'. Used make me laugh - though I could never understand why she didn't just say the word without changing the first letter.

Any time I've heard that word expressed it is used with particular venom and certainly to portray that venom. 'Dick' is often used in a joking way and for whatever reason just doesn't come across as offensive.

I am not sure if its the origins of the word or the blunt, abrasive pronounication of it that lead it to being as offensive as a lot of people take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Shreddy Krueger

Well, it's the sentiment that's behind it, isn't it? No word has any inherent meaning, its associations are assigned. In an offensive context (as opposed to joking around with your mates), calling someone a cnut represents something very, very serious. The word/noise means nothing in itself, it's what's understood by it.

Yes that's very true and I understand that someone may be offended if I started using the word C.unt or any other "swear word" as a means to describe them. BUT I don't see why everyone makes a big deal out of the word use in general or to describe someone who really is a c.unt. There's a serious difference in the power of saying "What a stupid C.unt" and "What a stupid eejit". Really the only people who are offended by this are those with very little to be at and far too much time on their hands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Doesn't offend me at all...

Used to work in a rough local bar and there were some in there that used it as an affectionate term/very liberally ie [in strong Scottish twang]"Aw-rite ya cunt" type way so I now automatically attribute every-day usage to a particular demographic.

Sometimes tho, when you stub your toe, or someone is really, really pissing you off - there is no other word that quite conveys the same strength of feeling. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Superbus wrote: »
    The middle was The Big F, as is traditional.
    The traditional meaning of a middle finger in Ireland is 'piss off'.

You'll get into an awful lot of fights in the Louth/Meath area as its used pretty much as an adjective/verb/noun/preposition up there

I personally am not bothered by the word - but then words rarely bother me. (oh I only recently discovered the word twat means the same as c*nt!!)

I would have thought the word 'gash' was much more offensive anyhow. No ?

py2006 wrote: »
    Any time I've heard that word expressed it is used with particular venom and certainly to portray that venom. 'Dick' is often used in a joking way and for whatever reason just doesn't come across as offensive.

I am not sure if its the origins of the word or the blunt, abrasive pronounication of it that lead it to being as offensive as a lot of people take it.

This might be why we differ in our views; as I mentioned in my first post, a chap I used hang out with, and his friends, used use the word ridiculously often, to describe everything and everyone with no venomous intent at all. He'd even say things like 'he's some cnut, you couldn't meet a nicer man, one of the best" as if cnut was just another word for 'fine upstanding human being'. :p

Other friends of mine have used it, to describe someone whose behaviour has been unacceptable but it's used more matter of factly than nasty and venomously. Similar to saying someone's a bitch or a wanker - just another word.

Some of my close friends jokingly call me Queen Victoria because they're much cruder than I am, actually I'm not crude at all, but their abrasive use of language and fondness for a bit of crude carry on doesn't bother me, it's not as if they're always like that (they aren't - it's usually when we're in party mode, or the day after a party and hungover/still a bit drunk/giddy etc) and are incapable of being refined. It's not my style but I know it doesn't define them either.

If I heard my dad say it, I'd be shocked, but wouldn't bat an eye if he said someone was a bollox. Not that my dad curses often, he doesn't. I suppose I just don't get offended if I hear someone use the word even though it's not one I like to use myself. Unless, as I said earlier, a motorist treats me badly when I'm cycling; for some reason that's the only time I'll call someone a cnut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

People still say "f word" and "c word" instead of fúck and cúnt?

Get over it, they're just words which will never stop being used so stop worrying about them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I think it's a brilliant word - very visceral. Has a weighty feel to it. Sometimes, only a cunt can make you feel better :pac:

I'm mindful of who I say it to, though. A lot of the older folk are extremely offended by it. My peers, not so much (unless it's directed in a malicious way).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I think it's a brilliant word - very visceral. Has a weighty feel to it. Sometimes, only a cunt can make you feel better :pac:

I'm mindful of who I say it to, though. A lot of the older folk are extremely offended by it. My peers, not so much (unless it's directed in a malicious way).

Well I think its a very location effected word. some parts of country it is an everyday word that even your granny would use liberally, in others people start climbing up their high horses at the slightest hint of the word. Frankly I think its a word that gives easily offended sanctimonious types an excuse to get offended and sanctimonious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Crash Override

I have to say I think the whole swear words thing is baffling. I haven't researched it or anything but who decided that those particular words and bad especially since they're made up. I mean should we use 'Qwerty' as a swear word too?

I don't understand why people find the C-Word more offensive than the others, it doesn't make sense that one made up word is worse than another.

I've no issue with it and I can bet most people who do, use all the other swear words, in which case, they can't really have a go at someone for using it if they technically use other 'offensive' words.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I lived in the UK for a few years and it is used very liberally over there compared to over here. I don't use it alot anymore because I find that people over here don't say it as much. I don't have a problem with people using it to be honest. It's just another swear word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

A low sized guy I know of uses it so much that he is known himself as "The cunteen" :D

Serves him right for overusing a really good swear word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

The offensive capacity of any word depends entirely on the context in which it is used, not the word itself. Indeed I have often heard the word cunt used affectionately (at a football match recently a friend of mine scored an excellent point which prompted the shout "go on McKinley ya deadly cunt" from a spectator - not me.)
    Conversely I have heard words that are deemed acceptable in every day use used to great offense. (I hope your ma gets cancer, being the most recent.)
    It's perfectly legitimate to not like the sound of the word in the same way i dont like the sound of the words "fourteen" and "dairylea" but to take offense from the letters c u n and t is preposterous, pedantic and pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

my friend just felt that the word was disrespectful to women.

Is it offensive to women or is it just another "bad word"? Would you ever use it or is it a big "no no"?
    Onixx wrote: »
    I don't see how it's offensive to women
    I never really get this either. I know an auld lad who says it in front of lads but is careful not to in front of women, or if he does let it slip you see his face like "oh ****, didn't know she was there". I was wondering if there are women similarly going around careful about saying things infront of males "he's a dickhead" or "he's an awful prick" that they only use with other women -I very much doubt it crosses their mind that it would offend men. I have heard several times women complaining about stuff like this and starting off the sentence "as a woman, I find..... offensive", yet don't think I ever heard a man doing the same, "well, as a man, I find..." . I don't really get why they pre-empt it with this, I do not have to be black/female to be offended by racist or sexist remarks, using it is sort of insulting in itself, like saying 'you (sneerlingly) wouldn't understand'.
    baz2009 wrote: »
    It's such an amazing word. It has an oomph factor to it that no other swear word has.
    The word/noise means nothing in itself, it's what's understood by it.
    I have to say I think the whole swear words thing is baffling. I haven't researched it or anything but who decided that those particular words and bad especially since they're made up.
    its the simple phonetics of the word, like how people think the German language is aggressive and french is 'the language of love'. They sound worse/harsh and can be said with a bit of aggression. Go up to a non english speaker and with venom call him a kunt/fanny, and they will probably recognise kunt as being the more hateful/worse term. Just like sh!t/poo,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Cunt and prick are probably my two favourite swear words tbh, often use both as a term of affection too :o

Special mention also has to go to geebag and clitbag :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ohsurelook

'Cunt' is a beautiful word. It's so simple,but gritty at the same time. It's offensive,but endearing too <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

People who treat women like they are delicate flowers who will be tainted by hearing a curse word are far more offensive than a word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

You've offended me OP. This sums up my feelings.

I love Louis, his lack of tolerance for stupidity is inspiring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This thread is gone cuntish altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I took offence when Loki called Black Widow a mewling quim in the Avengers film, but that's moreso because I <3 Scarlett Johansson than anything else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

over here it's seen as a gender specific bash at women. im doing my best to educate them to explain that it's a 100% gender non-specific form of both abuse and endearment, depending on delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I use it all the time, but probably not in front of my parents. I don't think there's any other word I wouldn't use in front of them.

I tend to use it more for descriptive purposes...something is cunted or a complete cunterama of a situation, rather than about someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ficheall wrote: »
    I took offence when Loki called Black Widow a mewling quim in the Avengers film, but that's moreso because I <3 Scarlett Johansson than anything else...

I love how Joss Whedon basically worked the word cnut into a summer blockbuster.

• Advertisement
Advertisement