Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The C word...

124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Burt Lancaster

Is it not a casual swear word here though ?
    Since when the did the American meaning start getting a grip here ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Since when did Ireland start importing the American use and meaning of the word ?
    Since when the did the American meaning start getting a grip here ?
    by "american meaning", do you mean it being used solely for a woman? Then I would answer at least the early to mid 80's, as a child growing up I heard it used like that here so its "american" use here could well go back longer, I do remember some kids saying it was female specific. Like some say bastard is a male specific term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭R019912

Thought I'd use this thread as a cheap shot at an ex. You love, are a **** :D

rubadub wrote: »
    by "american meaning", do you mean it being used solely for a woman? Then I would answer at least the early to mid 80's, as a child growing up I heard it used like that here so its "american" use here could well go back longer, I do remember some kids saying it was female specific. Like some say bastard is a male specific term.

Thankfully we've not been americanised everywhere yet then.
    It's used on a very casual basis round here, it covers everything from people, to animals to inanimate objects, especially mechanical ones that break down or give bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

I'd rather be a cunt than an arsehole.

• Advertisement

The_Thing wrote: »
    I'd rather be a cunt than an arsehole.

Your wish has been granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

Down the country I have heard men say, "Isnt it an awful c**t of a day", and "Its c***ish altogether" would be the reply...
    Its a great bad word and I reserve it mainly for an awful person i work with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Your wish has been granted.

Thanks, was getting tired of passing turds like you.

The_Thing wrote: »
    Thanks, was getting tired of passing turds like you.

I think you just changed yourself back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

You freaks still going on about this ?? it's only a fooking word, language. It only has whatever effect you think it has..
    People are so fookin retarded..

"Jam " is an offensive word in another language.. cop the fook on.

C*nt can be a big sloppy mess.....

or it can can be a beautiful petite sculpture. Depends on ur mood.

It's an endless question.

Get some balls, and shove them. You C*NT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Daithi 1 wrote: »
    You freaks still going on about this ?? it's only a fooking word, language. It only has whatever effect you think it has..
    People are so fookin retarded..

"Jam " is an offensive word in another language.. cop the fook on.

It's an endless question.

Get some balls, and shove them. You C*NT.

That's pretty fcuking moronic. Words and language only have value and impact because there's a common understanding of what they represent. Otherwise they're just noises.

Anyone can introduce a neologism but unless enough people understand what it means and accept its usage then it's nothing more than a melodic grunt.
    It only has whatever effect you think it has..

This is almost too stupid to comment on but anyway...

Words aren't exclusive to individuals. They have broader contexts and environment and culture-specific baggage. "Jam" might very well mean something offensive in another language (although I suspect it doesn't) but it doesn't have any vulgar associations in mainstream Ireland. Similarly, cnut might be offensive in mainstream Ireland but not, say, in south Asia. Again, it's about environment and culture. The speaker doesn't determine these associations, society does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Not a word I particularly use or use.kind of reserve it for people who are complete and utter c--ts.... Was over using for a while, had to stop as I'd nothing in reserve for those truly worthy of the label.... I mean where do u go next ??

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    That's pretty fcuking moronic. Words and language only have value and impact because there's a common understanding of what they represent. Otherwise they're just noises.

Anyone can introduce a neologism but unless enough people understand what it means and accept its usage then it's nothing more than a melodic grunt.

This is almost too stupid to comment on but anyway...

Words aren't exclusive to individuals. They have broader contexts and environment and culture-specific baggage. "Jam" might very well mean something offensive in another language (although I suspect it doesn't) but it doesn't have any vulgar associations in mainstream Ireland. Similarly, cnut might be offensive in mainstream Ireland but not, say, in south Asia. Again, it's about environment and culture. The speaker doesn't determine these associations, society does.

Jam Rag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Markcheese wrote: »
    Not a word I particularly use or use.kind of reserve it for people who are complete and utter c--ts.... Was over using for a while, had to stop as I'd nothing in reserve for those truly worthy of the label.... I mean where do u go next ??

you combine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...as long as it doesn't overtake traditional greetings, such as "geebag" or "gee features" I'm ok with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Chickus wrote: »
    Down the country I have heard men say, "Isnt it an awful c**t of a day", and "Its c***ish altogether" would be the reply...
    Its a great bad word and I reserve it mainly for an awful person i work with
    It's replacing the F word in the west of Ireland, everywhere you would have used the F word, it's been replaced by the C word. I don't think people are that upset when they hear it here any more it's becoming so common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's replacing the F word in the west of Ireland, everywhere you would have used the F word, it's been replaced by the C word. I don't think people are that upset when they hear it here any more it's becoming so common.

It's fcukin' unbelieveable down there! :D

My woman is from Mayo and her father uses the word almost as a term of endearment. I have to say I use the word a lot more since I've met him. :eek:

ScumLord wrote: »

That's the original version in use there. The American version of the word just never caught on there in the first place. They're not as easily Americanised as some parts of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

That's the original version in use there. The American version of the word just never caught on there in the first place. They're not as easily Americanised as some parts of Ireland.

What's the American version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Nodin wrote: »
    ...as long as it doesn't overtake traditional greetings, such as "geebag" or "gee features" I'm ok with it.

'Gee features'? Never heard that one before

• Advertisement

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    What's the American version?

In America its reserved as an extremely derogatory term of abuse for a women. You don't even hear it in their films or TV their so afraid of it.

Traditionally in Ireland and the UK however it can be used every 5 mins for everything, even, and often particularly, for anything mechanical or inanimate object that gives bother.

I prefer the traditional Irish version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Teacher; Can any of you make a sentance using the word contagious?

Pupil 1 ; Measles is contagious.

Pupil 2 ; Mumps is contagious.

Pupil 3 ; My Daddy saw our neighbour painting his house with a 3" brush.
    He said it would take the contagious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Helix wrote: »

you combine

I know but it just doesn't have the same impact .... 4 letters of malice ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

It's a term of endearment IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭El.duderino

Smunt n. A smug ****. Not to be confused with Smint*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

'Gee features'? Never heard that one before

Often used as a greeting eg 'Allright gee-features?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

I know but it just doesn't have the same impact .... 4 letters of malice ....
    you're doing it wrong though. combination is where the creativity really comes through

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

you combine
    you're doing it wrong though. combination is where the creativity really comes through

For a minute I thought you were using 'combine' as an insult.
    Ye feckin' New Holland CX8090!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Enough people have stated that the word cunt doesn't mean vagina anymore or at least not when we say it in the context we do, but I do also agree with that! However, my main point is, even if people do mean vagina... so what? It's not sexist just because women have them... when people say Sarah Jessica Parker looks like a foot, no one with feet gets offended as a foot, however practical, is not something you want to look like, just as a vagina/penis (in the case of prick) is not something you want to be! It may be sexist to say, "You stupid ****ing woman" but not cunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Try using that word around an American and you'll really see them flip the lid. I use that word far too freely and casually that it's lost all meaning for me and will probably get me into some trouble some day.

Advertisement