Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WOW Pc New Build

Options
  • 24-06-2012 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi Guys,

I have been playing World of Warcraft for the last three years on what is now an outdated Laptop and with the new expansion due to be released quite soon i was hoping to build a Pc that can run the game on max settings for a change.

I would appreciate any help you could offer me in this regard.

1. What is your budget? 1000 Euro

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? World of Warcraft mainly

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need? 24 '' if possible

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Wireless Internet card

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? any type

9. When are you purchasing? next few days

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I was hoping to build it myself but in case i run into serious trouble I am in South Dublin City

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€211.70
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€89.75
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€41.33
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€36.71
    LiteOn iHAS122-18 schwarz SATA|€16.68
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 black, ohne Netzteil|€53.79
    LogiLink Wireless LAN 300 Mbps PCI Karte 802.11n 2T2R|€14.36
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB SATA 6GB's|€61.61
    Samsung SSD 830 64GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€69.29
    Dell U2312HM silber|€192.78
    HIS HD 7850 GDDR5 2048MB DVI/HDMI/2xMini DP|€220.13
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1027.12

A little over, but I'm not sure you'll need that good a card for WoW. Forgot an aftermarket cooler as well, monitor is expensive but oh so worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Gopher77

Hi Skylinehead thanks for the reply that looks like a very strong build from what I have seen on other posts it is a little over with the aftermarket cooler and a version of windows to be added.

With this in mind I would like to try and bring it back under budget and ask a few questions if you or anyone else can help me out.

What aftermarket cooler would you guys advise for overclocking this build and is the 450W PSU ok for this or should I bump it up to the 550W version for a bit of head room and futureproofing?

I think from what I have seen said on some other posts that WOW and MMO's in general are supposed to be more CPU intensive then GPU and as such does anyone know if I can get a away with a slightly les powerfull card and still be able to run the game on full spec.

Do you guys know if there would be any performance advantage to loading the game onto the SSD drive I was thinking in particular of all the load times when I transition from zone to zone and also the loading time lost from logging on and off multiple alts?

If there was a definite advantage i would consider dropping the 500GB drive and bumping the SSD up to the 128GB version as i don't really have any need for a lot of storage at the moment and I could pick up a second drive if this changes later on.

Finally on the Monitor, I realise it is a very good model and recomended by a lot of people around here and I had considered it originally but only in the black version i don't think I would fancy it in silver.

I know the likes of the BenQ G2450 is much cheaper and therefore not as good but would it be ok performance wise in this build or is it just a bad Monitor in general?

Thanks for all your help so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

That CPU and gpu will handle any mmorpg out there. We are talking about wow too here do at this stage I don't know why it's not yet ported to iPhone etc...

You might aswell order same monitor from komplett.ie and shave 10eu off it. I got that monitor myself and it's amazing. I am just waiting for my funds to go up and buy 2 more of those bad boys!

Hi ShadowHearth thanks for your replies.

I wasn't questioning the abiility of the CPU or GPU that Skylinehead specced as it looks as if those two combined could run any current game out there.
    I was looking for a way to get back on budget with this build without compromising it's performance too much so my question was more weather I could get away with a slightly cheaper GPU because I was only running WOW on it.

As for your comments regarding the question of monitors I'm not sure which one you are referring to but from your comments I would assume the Dell which I understand because it seems to be recommended here quite a lot. Again I was more interested in any opinions people who know a lot more then me might have about the use of the BenQ monitor for this build, would it be ok quite good or just plain rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well you know the way it goes m8: if you try to get away cheap, then you wil pay twice in the end.
    7850 is bread and butter of Gpus these days. It overclocks like a champ and is really great performance card for the money. If you really really want to drop costs of that pc them go for 6870.
    The other option would be to drop gpu to 2500k which is still great CPU, in fact it's prety much same as the ivy just no hd4000.
    Monitor wise, I was talking about dell indeed. 2312hm is a great monitor. Why would you bother with anything else is beyonde m8. It is on komplett.ie for 186eu with free delivery. So get it from komplett instead of gear website. Another few quid saved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

One thing you could do is hold off getting the SSD for a while and use the Barracuda as your boot drive. SSD prices seem to be dropping lately, so you could come back to it a few months later and pick up a 128GB drive. You could also go with a cheaper BitFenix case, the Merc Beta (€33). To bring the price down any lower, I think the next step would be to drop the motherboard to one of the H61 series boards, but tbh it pains me to even recommend doing this :D.

Thanks for the reply TheAmateur it looks like i will have to hold off for a week or two at this stage and sort out the extra cash to buy the whole build as it stands.

Hi guys I am hoping to order everything for this build tonight.

I could still do with a recomendation for a cooler for this build if anyone can help me out.

And can anyone confirm that the 450W PSU on this build was to allow for everything to be overclocked?

Thanks for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

Gopher77 wrote: »
    I could still do with a recomendation for a cooler for this build if anyone can help me out.

A CPU cooler? If that's what you're after, my vote is for the Thermalright True Spirit 120mm (€22). Highly recommended around here and I've read some very favorable reviews too.
    As for the overclocking question, I really don't know. I'll have to pass it over to someone who knows more about that sort of thing.

Thanks for all the help guys I just placed an order for everything as specced, hopefully I should see a delivery next week some time.

Just enough time to start googling and you tubing for a few good building guides before the next phase of the project.

Thanks again, you were all very helpfull.

• Advertisement
Advertisement