Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe area to live while working in Mater Hospital

Options
  • 24-06-2012 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hello ,

I am looking for a healthy place to live with my family (wife and a 2 year old child) as I am due to start working in Mater Hospital shortly.

1. I'm thinking of spending around 1000 to 1100 E ?( Are there cheaper options ?)
    2. I'm looking for a safe neighborhood with reasonable family life where my child can safely come out of the house and we can move about even after the dark hours and do not have to stay inside our home from the moment the sun sets. (A place where kids can grow up safely)
    3. Any locality with a school and creche nearby.
    4. Can we get a house rather than apartment in this budget in a safe neighborhood?
    5. I can drive but I understand that commuting to place of work would be a better option, so may be a place from where I can reach in around half hour to 40 minutes- or lesser? any direct bus routes ?
    6. Preferably the house should be newly built / new scheme ?with lesser heat losses.
    7. Having local amenities nearby may be 10-15 minute walk, where my wife and child can safely go even when I'm not around and there should not be 'rough' people on the way..
    8. May be a location with a little cultural diversity where you can find a few non Irish nationals also living safely. (Majority should be Irish !)
    9. We like traveling out of home on holidays and there might be times where there would be no one at our house, so the place should be safe enough that no thieves jump or break in while we are away.
    10. We do not drink and would not be interested in pubs, parties and night life.
    I will really appreciate suggestions.
    Best wishes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Drumcondra sounds like your best bet, nearly within walking distance of the Mater or else there'll be a bus to bring you there every 10 mins. Nice safe area.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Nicknamed

hunter164 wrote: »
    Drumcondra sounds like your best bet, nearly within walking distance of the Mater or else there'll be a bus to bring you there every 10 mins. Nice safe area.

Thanks, what are the boundaries of drumchondra ?
    I saw a place here very good apartments, not sure whether it is drumchondra: but the locals said to avoid because there is some stadium and also council flats, have a look, please :

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=waterfall+avenue+++dublin&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=34.313287,86.572266&vpsrc=6&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Waterfall+Ave,+Fairview,+Dublin+3,+Ireland&ll=53.366429,-6.247342&spn=0.000789,0.002642&t=m&z=19&iwloc=A&ved=0CBAQpQY&sa=X&ei=EAroT8LsBYvVjgfHm-WODg

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

You would be unlikely to get a new house in the city center, there is plenty of new apartments though.
    The road you have highlighted is off Richmond Road which I would consider a safe area to live. One end of it is in Drumcondra, the other in Fairview. It's about a 20 minute walk to the Mater from there. There is plenty of creches, schools, shops, parks, library etc in the area. The 2 stadiums in the area wouldn't affect you much and there's no-where in the city that you can live without being near some council flats!
    Phibsborough would be even nearer and would have more facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The only time Croke Park would affect you is if there's a concert on. You can hear the concerts from Richmond Road and beyond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

I live in a nice, gated complex close to Croke Park. Lots of families there and the stadium has only ever inconvenienced me when i need to drive in when there are big matches and concerts on, but that's easily solved by getting a resident's pass from the local Garda station. It's no problem

Thankyou for your input. Are you talking about the Garden house apartments complex on that waterfall avenue off richmond road? I've heard there's just one child in the whole complex ... Is it safe ?? How about the area outside its gated entrance ... Felt a bit spooky ; apartments are good though !!
    Appreciate all your help

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The 38 would bring you from most places in Castleknock down to right beside the hospital.

1. I will be working in Mater Hospital and my wife would be working in Rochestown avenue.
    2. We have a 2 year old baby.
    3. Which area you advise to live in that location with a nice affordable creche from where my wife is in walking distance to creche and may be driving distance to rochestown avenue in 10 minures and I can also commute to Mater hospital.
    4. I'm looking for a safe neighborhood with reasonable family life where my child can safely come out of the house and we can move about even after the dark hours and do not have to stay inside our home from the moment the sun sets. (A place where kids can grow up safely)
    5. Preferably the house should be newly built / new scheme ?with lesser heat losses.
    6. We like traveling out of home on holidays and there might be times where there would be no one at our house, so the place should be safe enough that no thieves jump or break in while we are away.
    7. We do not drink and would not be interested in pubs, parties and night life.
    8. Having local amenities nearby may be 10-15 minute walk, where my wife and child can safely go even when I'm not around and there should not be 'rough' people on the way..
    9. I'm thinking of spending 1050 to 1150 Euros. Can we get a house rather than apartment in this Budget.

best regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Which end of Rochestown Road? It is a long road.

This is about the only property at the Rochestown Road end. http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1224246 Much greater choice at the city end.
    Nicknamed wrote: »
    1. I will be working in Mater Hospital and my wife would be working in Rochestown avenue.
    The 46a connects the north end of Rochestown Road with the Mater.
    4. I'm looking for a safe neighborhood with reasonable family life where my child can safely come out of the house and we can move about even after the dark hours and do not have to stay inside our home from the moment the sun sets. (A place where kids can grow up safely)
    While there are individual neighbourhoods with problems, there is nowhere in Dublin that is quite that bad.
    6. We like traveling out of home on holidays and there might be times where there would be no one at our house, so the place should be safe enough that no thieves jump or break in while we are away.
    This is what house alarms are for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭donaghs

Slydice wrote: »
    The 38 would bring you from most places in Castleknock down to right beside the hospital.

I'd agree. Nice suburb. Could also get the train to Drumcondra Station (near the matter), if you lived at the Blanchardstown end of Castleknock.

I live in a nice, gated complex close to Croke Park. Lots of families there and the stadium has only ever inconvenienced me when i need to drive in when there are big matches and concerts on, but that's easily solved by getting a resident's pass from the local Garda station. It's no problem

where about fishtastico ? are there any empty flats at your complex ?

Victor wrote: »
    Which end of Rochestown Road? It is a long road.

This is about the only property at the Rochestown Road end. http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1224246 Much greater choice at the city end.
    The 46a connects the north end of Rochestown Road with the Mater.
    While there are individual neighbourhoods with problems, there is nowhere in Dublin that is quite that bad.
    This is what house alarms are for.

Thankyou. That is about the location that you have given link for. Is this area and DunLaghoire in general safe or rough? Ive never lived in Dublin that is why I'm asking these things I read in other threads that some area in Dublin can be very rough and dodgy with wanna bees and stabbings etc !! Are ther any council flats here? I've been advised in general to avoid place near council flats. How much time would it take to travel from here to Mater? Best wishes

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Thankyou. That is about the location that you have given link for. Is this area and DunLaghoire in general safe or rough? Ive never lived in Dublin that is why I'm asking these things I read in other threads that some area in Dublin can be very rough and dodgy with wanna bees and stabbings etc !! Are ther any council flats here? I've been advised in general to avoid place near council flats. How much time would it take to travel from here to Mater? Best wishes

I'm familiar with the area that link is from and would say it's definitely a pretty safe area, it's in a nice quiet housing estate. If you were getting a bus from that area to the Mater it would be roughly a 10-15 minute walk to the 46a bus stop, followed by a roughly 35-40 minute commute into the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Remember the prices are asking prices you may be able to negotiate a lower rental price.

Most council estates are actually former council estates as most houses were bought by tenants and particularly in the area you are looking at would have been bought by young families moving into the area so I wouldn't be concerned about that, indeed many of these houses are better built than more recently built houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Threads merged.

Nicknamed - Please keep this to a single thread. There's no need for multiple threads on this topic.

tHB

Threads merged.

Nicknamed - Please keep this to a single thread. There's no need for multiple threads on this topic.

tHB
    Thank you, I had kept the threads separate as my wife may or may not start job in Dun Laghoire, and the replies on separate threads were helping us make our minds whether she should take up the job or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

Dalcassian Downs is in Phibsborough behind the Brian Boru pub it's about a 10 mins walk walk from the Mater Addison Park is about 20 mins walk both nice areas

donaghs wrote: »
    I'd agree. Nice suburb. Could also get the train to Drumcondra Station (near the matter), if you lived at the Blanchardstown end of Castleknock.

Thanks, seems like a big area.. any particular estates that you can recommend ?

• Advertisement

robbie67 wrote: »
    Dalcassian Downs is in Phibsborough behind the Brian Boru pub it's about a 10 mins walk walk from the Mater Addison Park is about 20 mins walk both nice areas

Thankyou, and I was looking at this ad about botanic square also :

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1218411

located near :

https://maps.google.ie/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=drumcondra+dublin+google+maps&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x48670e7762b4c13b:0x2600c7a819b93021,Drumcondra,+Co.+Dublin+City&gl=ie&ei=NWLrT8mnGJCyhAfJpJ3TBQ&ved=0CAkQ8gEwAA

What are your views on this ? Is it proper drumchondra ? I hope not a rough location ? Last week I went to see a place advertised as drumchondra and turned out to be fair view.

Best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

The last 3 houses you have'd looked at are all about 10 mins walk from each other Addison Park and Botanic Square are nearly on the one road close to Drumcondra nice quiet area

I'm familiar with the area that link is from and would say it's definitely a pretty safe area, it's in a nice quiet housing estate. If you were getting a bus from that area to the Mater it would be roughly a 10-15 minute walk to the 46a bus stop, followed by a roughly 35-40 minute commute into the city centre.
    Which Dart station would be nearest to this location for a car?

Just almost finalized a place near rochestown avenue. The guy says everything is on electricity. No gas for cooking and no oil for heating. I was wondering how much would be the electricity cost on average then? Any views?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Just almost finalized a place near rochestown avenue. The guy says everything is on electricity. No gas for cooking and no oil for heating. I was wondering how much would be the electricity cost on average then? Any views?

Electricity for heating probably means storage heaters which are awful. I have them in my apartment and detest them. During winter, even if the settings set for 'low' during the day, most of the heat still gets used up when I'm not there and is gone when I get back in the evening.

Electricity for heating probably means storage heaters which are awful. I have them in my apartment and detest them. During winter, even if the settings set for 'low' during the day, most of the heat still gets used up when I'm not there and is gone when I get back in the evening.

I have been told that electricity is the main source for everything in most places in Dublin. I was in country side till now and used oil for beating and gas cylinders for cooking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I have been told that electricity is the main source for everything in most places in Dublin. I was in country side till now and used oil for beating and gas cylinders for cooking.

That's not true. The vast majority of houses in Dublin would have either oil or gas for central heating

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, ask to see the BER certificate before you sign anything. Landlords are not supposed to let properties without one. Many do, as people don't know to ask for them. If the BER ratings is bad, the property is either poorly built and/or has terrible insulation. It will be very expensive to heat in the winter if it has a bad BER rating, regardless of whether it is gas, oil or electric.

What is the property? Is it a house or an apartment? Do you have another person above you with concrete floors that will trap in the heat, or do you have a poorly insulated attic that all of your heat will go up into? Is it old/new? How old and well insulated are the windows and doors? Will you be running large appliances such as dishwashers and tumble dryers? It's impossible to say how much your electricity bill will be as all homes are different.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    OP, ask to see the BER certificate before you sign anything. Landlords are not supposed to let properties without one. Many do, as people don't know to ask for them. If the BER ratings is bad, the property is either poorly built and/or has terrible insulation. It will be very expensive to heat in the winter if it has a bad BER rating, regardless of whether it is gas, oil or electric.

What is the property? Is it a house or an apartment? Do you have another person above you with concrete floors that will trap in the heat, or do you have a poorly insulated attic that all of your heat will go up into? Is it old/new? How old and well insulated are the windows and doors? Will you be running large appliances such as dishwashers and tumble dryers? It's impossible to say how much your electricity bill will be as all homes are different.

Hmm I didn't check the BER thing. It is a top floor apartment. Don't know old or new. Feeling myself silly at the moment. Haven't paid or signed anything yet but have verbally agreed rent.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    OP, ask to see the BER certificate before you sign anything. Landlords are not supposed to let properties without one. Many do, as people don't know to ask for them. If the BER ratings is bad, the property is either poorly built and/or has terrible insulation. It will be very expensive to heat in the winter if it has a bad BER rating,
    The BER IS C1. Is it ok?

Advertisement