Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lexus RX 400h - Headlamp Washer Pump

• 24-06-2012 11:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭

HI,

The headlamp washer on my RX400h has stopped working. (this is a NCT fail for xenon bulbs). From looking on the web this appears to be a fault if the pump is run when there is no water in the bottle, so the pump could be damaged.

From surfing the web, the pump is directly connected to the water tank. Apparently access to the pump is through the drivers side wheel arch.

The fuse must be OK as the windscreen washer motor pump uses the same fuse.

When I press the washer button, I can hear the relay clicking in, however nothing happens.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to remove the pump and is it easy to replace.

Any guidance to instructions on the web would be great.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are the jets miving out from the bumper and no water pumping ir is neither happening? I neither is happening I would say it's a fuse. You should check the forums on Clublexus.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

HI, THe jets are'nt moving out. I would think the washer water pushes out the jets but I am not sure.

The forums say that both the headlamp washer and windscreen washer use the same fuse.

I had a look in the fuse box and did not see a blown fuse.

I might have another look later.

Thanks

M

One other thing, I take it you have the headlights on when trying this, otherwise it won't work.

Yes, thanks for that, it is a common mistake.

M

So they both ok now?

• Advertisement

No still not working, I had another look at the fuses but it is not clear which is the correct fuse.

It is some sort of fault.

M

The actuator part is around €250-€300 plus labour to replace each side so expensive, this makes the jets rise up from the bumper. It's strange that both would go together though, I'd be thinking it's fuse related.

Here's a diagram of the parts, might help you diagnose the problem.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_2007_LEXUS_RX400H_MHU38R-AWXGKW_8505.html

HI,

Thanks for that, just looking at the drawings. Is the actuator electrically powered or does the water pressure raise them.

Cheers

M

dingding wrote: »
    HI,

Thanks for that, just looking at the drawings. Is the actuator electrically powered or does the water pressure raise them.

Cheers

As far as I know they are electrically powered.

I know it is an old thread, but just updating it as I finally failed the NCT.

The issue was the pump which I replaced. There is an issue where the pump fails if the washer is run without water.

In my case when I pressed the button, I could hear the click of the relay and no motor sound. The other washers (front and rear) were working.

Just to be aware there are two different versions of the pump.

The older pump has the water inlet sticking straight out the rear.

While the newer one has the water inlet on the side of the pump. The versions changed towards the end of 2008, I think there was a minor refresh of the RX at that stage.

Mine was the older car and if you look behind the lower air intake on the bumper, on the driver side, you can see the washer tank. In the bottom of the tank the end of the pump is shoved into the wall of the tank.

To remove the pump you can remove the floor of this section of the car, there is a plastic protector, held on with a couple of nuts. This then pushes down.

You can access the 10mm Nut which is holding the bracket which fixes the pump to the water bottle with a small socket set and a couple of extension bars through the lower grill.

The electrical cable clips off and the outlet pipe is held on with a little metal clip which can be wedged off with a small screwdriver.

It might be handier to replace this with a small jubilee clip when replacing the pump.

I hope this helps someone and any questions just post up and I will explain.

• Advertisement

dingding wrote: »
    HI,

Cheers

They are water powered, the pressure from the pump raises the washer nozzle from the top of the bumper.

Advertisement