Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intern while staff are still on 3-day week?

Options
  • 24-06-2012 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

hi all.myself and a few other lads work 3 days per week.we have repeatedly asked to be put back on full time when it becomes obvious that work is available.however the employer goes an recruits internships for full time work hence keeping us few on the dole.is this allowed r is there some sorta complaints organisation?it seems wrong takin 1 off de dole which in effect keeps 4 of us on it

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

hi all.myself and a few other lads work 3 days per week.we have repeatedly asked to be put back on full time when it becomes obvious that work is available.however the employer goes an recruits internships for full time work hence keeping us few on the dole.is this allowed r is there some sorta complaints organisation?it seems wrong takin 1 off de dole which in effect keeps 4 of us on it

As in Jobbridge interns? Are they working full time while you and a number of staff have been part time?

Does the intern do roles you can/could/have done?

My blood will be boiling if you answer yes to all the above!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bernard bluff

yes the answer is yes to all of that.i was never given opportunity to get the extra 2 days work,i don't no if i've got a proper complaint

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

From the JobBridge website:

1) The host organisation currently may not have vacancies in the area of activity in which the internship is offered.

2) The internship will not be provided to displace an employee. The scheme administrator reserves the right to review cases where it is reported that this is the case.

http://www.jobbridge.ie/EmployerEligible.aspx

I'd have thought that if you're on reduced hours, are looking to get back on full time, and that if an intern was taken on who was working full time that it would go against point 2 above.

Your options as far as I can see would be to tell your boss this and/or contact JobBridge themselves about it.

Also the intern isn't taken off the dole (if they're on the JobBridge scheme that is). They still get social welfare payments and a top up of 50e to help cover travel and other work costs. Your employer pays them nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bernard bluff

that whole system is a mess.there are several different jobs i can do within my employment.the only reason an internship is there is because there cheap.having myself and the other lads back full time would be costing to much in employers PRSI..the whole thing is a scam.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

and its a huge burden to the tax payer these job blocking schemes should be cut and scrapped for good..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Caseywhale

http://whistleblowersireland.com/

or just talk to joe :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Unfortunately for you OP, the employer is taking advantage of people in poor circumstances and availing of slave labour. Why would the employer give you full time work and pay you a full time wage when they can get someone else to do it for free?

Nothing you can do about it, just another example of the vulnarable being exploited I'm afraid.

Advertisement