Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best deal for texting only

Options
  • 25-06-2012 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi my 18mth O2 billpay contract is due to expire.

I rearly use my phone to make calls as I work from home and the mobile signal here is very bad.

I send about 300 text messages a month about half and half to VF and O2 numbers.

I rarely need to use my data allowance because I have wifi.

What is the cheapest option out there for me?

While I'm not happy with my N8 since it's 'upgrade' to Belle, I don't see a phone I'd like to change to yet (maybe the 808 at a later date).

I'm happy to change providors.

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I think all providers now offer free texts to any network on prepay for 20 a month.

3 is the best, offering free texts, 15GB of data, and free 3 to 3 calls for 20a month. Make sure to check coverage in your area first however.

If you switch to a prepay plan I'd imagine you'd end up spending a lot less than 20 a month since your credit would build up a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

mrs aol wrote: »
    Hi my 18mth O2 billpay contract is due to expire.

I rearly use my phone to make calls as I work from home and the mobile signal here is very bad.

I send about 300 text messages a month about half and half to VF and O2 numbers.

I rarely need to use my data allowance because I have wifi.

What is the cheapest option out there for me?

While I'm not happy with my N8 since it's 'upgrade' to Belle, I don't see a phone I'd like to change to yet (maybe the 808 at a later date).

I'm happy to change providors.

Any advice welcome.

Can you be a little more specific regarding calls? How much on average per month and what networks? First thing that comes to mind is Meteor's current 30-day rolling contract offer; 20.33eur a monts for 200texts/200minutes (to any network) and 1GB data.

That doesn't quite cover your 300 texts a month but if you used Sam Vimes' Cabbage texter you could just send your webtexts from your phone. (300 free webtexts per month)

If your call usage is low (as in no more than 60 mins a month) you might even be better off going to prepay as most (probably all) networks have free any network text for 20euro top up a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

3 is the best, offering free texts, 15GB of data, and free 3 to 3 calls for 20a month. Make sure to check coverage in your area first however.
    I'm on this, it's good. And I mainly use Cabbage to avail of the 300 free texts per month so I'm actually never out of credit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭mrs aol

thanks everyone, I apprecaite the replies.

The highest calls I've used all year were 16mins. Mostly my minutes are to land lines.

I think maybe a 20euro prepaid option would be ok for me. If it gives me unlimited texts to anyone. I suppose I may aswell stay with 02 as change to vodafone?

Signal is so bad here that I think I'll have to stay clear of any of the others.

Is there anything I should try to be clever about regarding an upgrade phone wise?

At the moment it says I'm eligable for a Platinum upgrade on O2. Is that basically just like what a new customer would get walking in off the street with no existing contract? I can't see I phone I want just yet. I'm keeping my eye on the nokis 808 pure view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I suggest you downgrade from O2 bill pay to O2 prepay. Then buy one of these O2 text bundles. At €5 for 250 texts or €10 for 550 texts, they work out at 2c per text, or less.

Plus they're totally flexible. For example, even though they're recurring you can buy any bundle and cancel future bundles. Then when the month is out, you've another 6 months to use any remaining texts. If you need more, just logon to My O2 and buy another bundle. Details here: http://www.o2online.ie/o2/shop/weekends/?cm_sp=Prepay-_-weekends-back-_-HP-Banner%201

Since you work from home have you thought about using the free O2 web texts? There's a free desktop app for them that you might find handier to use: http://www.jellysms.com/desktop/ or http://www.cabbagetexter.com/cabbagedesktop.php

You could combine the two; using web texts at home and using a text bundle for when you're out.

P.S. If you do switch to prepay, you might want to turn off the mobile data usage in the phone settings, and use only wifi.

• Advertisement
Advertisement