Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Love Of Scriptures

• 25-06-2012 12:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Just having a wee flip through youtube to see if I can find any videos on the love of Scriptures. I put ''Catholic Bible'' in the search engine. All I got was ''My Bible is better than your bible '' videos or ''Protestant vs Catholic bible'' ones too.

Sick of it. None of us have a love for the scriptures, all we wanna do is intellectualize and argue them. Do you feel my pain? :o:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

lol Onesimus, I have the new(ish) Ignation Study Bible and it's pretty cool :) some very good essays too - and it's great on Kindle too ( sounds like an advert)

Still, there are a lot of 'Protestant' editions in English that I would wholeheartedly recommend too...I've used very many, and read very many understandings and thoughts in order to well..'understand' I guess. They all say pretty much the same, but it's good to discern too.

We all love Scripture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

lmaopml wrote: »
    lol Onesimus, I have the new(ish) Ignation Study Bible and it's pretty cool :) some very good essays too - and it's great on Kindle too ( sounds like an advert)

Still, there are a lot of 'Protestant' editions in English that I would wholeheartedly recommend too...I've used very many, and read very many understandings and thoughts in order to well..'understand' I guess. They all say pretty much the same, but it's good to discern too.

We all love Scripture.

Thank you. But I am not interested in ''intellectual'' study if that makes sense? ughh I hope haha because I have that study bible you speak of.

I am interested in ( how do I put it ) listening to people read it and talk about how it applies to our daily life etc etc. Not read it in an apologetic manner or theological professor type readings that is designed more for a college crowd.

Can anyone help me find a good one?

Onesimus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Onesimus wrote: »
    Thank you. But I am not interested in ''intellectual'' study if that makes sense? ughh I hope haha because I have that study bible you speak of.

I am interested in ( how do I put it ) listening to people read it and talk about how it applies to our daily life etc etc. Not read it in an apologetic manner or theological professor type readings that is designed more for a college crowd.

Onesimus

People talk about how it applies to their daily life only in certain circles Onesimus...I think lots of people, however, may not even realise sometimes that they are quoting some kind of 'wisdom' found in Scripture in our average daily lives because it's permeated by it as a result of those who spread that Gospel and wisdom. Only those who read it I guess, or listen, have an interest to know... may tend to intellectualise, but not all want to only intellectualise either, lots are very genuine, very many. It's meant to be universal.

Hmm, I don't know if there is a translation that didn't require some intellectual to translate it from one language to another, it's been done that way since the beginning with the written word.

I like the way the internet has allowed reading several translations together and also to compare and contrast anything that may need comparison and contrast too. :)

Ah yeah I like all the studies of scriptures. It can just be a nuisance when the really scholarly type of study out weighs the Lectio Divina ( that how you say it? )

Onesimus

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

I put ''Catholic Bible'' in the search engine. All I got was ''My Bible is better than your bible '' videos or ''Protestant vs Catholic bible'' ones too.
    I'm afraid putting "catholic bible" into a search engine is just asking for some good protestant/catholic debate results! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Onesimus

I know what you mean i think. I love the talks by people like Scott hahn who can give real insight into the depths of scripture, but also like people like Joyce myer who is more 'so you're having a bad day, heres how to help it from scripture' sort of preacher.

I think the second sort of teaching is somewhat thin on the ground in catholic circles. but i also think thats because for decades we have been subject to teachers (priests etc) formed by poor scripture scholars who dissected the bible ithout drawing any fruit from it.

Now that People like Scott hahn (not to mention pope Benedict) are addressing the lack of the first sort of teaching - intellectual scripture study- we can expect to see more of the second - practical bible based wisdom- emerging and being propagated.

I like Fr Larry Richards sermons, btw, quite practical.

bonniebede wrote: »
    I know what you mean i think. I love the talks by people like Scott hahn who can give real insight into the depths of scripture, but also like people like Joyce myer who is more 'so you're having a bad day, heres how to help it from scripture' sort of preacher.

I think the second sort of teaching is somewhat thin on the ground in catholic circles. but i also think thats because for decades we have been subject to teachers (priests etc) formed by poor scripture scholars who dissected the bible ithout drawing any fruit from it.

Now that People like Scott hahn (not to mention pope Benedict) are addressing the lack of the first sort of teaching - intellectual scripture study- we can expect to see more of the second - practical bible based wisdom- emerging and being propagated.

I like Fr Larry Richards sermons, btw, quite practical.

Yes thank you. You have said all I wanted to say in a single post. Thanks Bonnie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

There's plenty of Bible study to be found online. One site I like in particular is The Gospel Coalition. Hours upon hours of excellent Bible teaching can be found on there on varying topics, and from varying Scriptural books. They have an entire audio library on there.

Advertisement