Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disney's 100 Years of Magic DVD Boxset

Options
  • 25-06-2012 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm sure many of ye have heard of Disney's 100 Years of Magic DVD Boxset.
    I know it's not an official Disney product and its imported from all these other countries with spelling mistakes on the covers and whatever.

What I want to know-
    Does anybody know if its honestly worth it for the 120 or 130 or 150 DVDs at such a low price? What percentage of the DVDs are actually unwatchable or awkward to watch? The spelling mistakes on the covers wouldn't bother me to be honest. What would annoy me is terrible quality (I guess I can put up with a couple of movies with a bit of colour fading), having to spend to long to get through different languages, and probably most importantly, not being able to watch the movie in English without subtitles.

Where would be the most reliable place to buy one from to work on an Irish DVD player or Irish PS3?

BQ: Are any of the movies able to watch in other languages? Like Italian or French? Or add subtitles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

They're going to be bootleg. Illegal. The films that are already out are probably going to be OK quality but not up to same level as the discs are probably single layer and thus, compressed more. The ones that aren't out yet are going to be poor bootleg rips from who knows what sources: VHS, CD-i, old laser disc etc).

Plus, as I said, it's going to be bootleg so there's a good chance that customs will impound it.

Quality should be decent enough as more often than not they source the rips from existing DVDs or TV broadcasts. Awhile back I picked up two box sets in Gamestop Star Trek Enterprise the complete collection and A Town Called Eureka Season 1-4 box set. I didn't really pay either much attention till I got home as at 10 euro a piece it was a bargain. It was obvious when I took a proper look at them that both were bootlegs. The Enterprise one was rather decent, the discs were ripped from the official DVD release and image quality was fine. Eureka on the other hand was not so good. It had obviously been sourced from rips available online, each episode had the SYFY logo in the corner and some even included ad breaks. I ended up keeping Enterprise but returned Eureka as the image quality was really poor and not worth the 10 euro price. Still, the bootleg was of a much higher quality to the Invisible Man official Blu-Ray I received during the week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They're bootlegs and therefore illegal, pure and simple. Afraid discussion of piracy isn't allowed as per the forum charter, so I'm going to lock this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement