Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting your script checked

• 25-06-2012 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

In august, how do you get one of your exams checked?
    do you have to bring your teacher of the subject?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

HeaneyBabe wrote: »
    In august, how do you get one of your exams checked?
    do you have to bring your teacher of the subject?
    No, but it is a very good idea to have someone with you when viewing your scripts who is familiar with marking / marking schemes.

Your own teacher / another teacher of the subject in the school (or indeed from outside) is a good option, but it's not obligatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

How does the process work? Do they send a copy of the script to you? Or do you have to go into the school and view the original script?
    I'm just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Cathalog wrote: »
    How does the process work? Do they send a copy of the script to you? Or do you have to go into the school and view the original script?
    I'm just curious.

When you get your results you fill out a form (pretty much just tick boxes and sign your name), and you get to pick which subjects' papers you want to see. They send the originals (to your school) and you can look at them at a set time for anything up to three hours. You can bring one other person with you if you wish (a teacher or even a past Leaving Certer would be a good choice). Then if you want to appeal any results you get another form (or more forms) to fill out. Marking schemes are available for you to check as well, and there should be calculators too if you want to make sure all your marks were added up correctly. No pens are allowed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭bren2001

Togepi wrote: »
    When you get your results you fill out a form (pretty much just tick boxes and sign your name), and you get to pick which subjects' papers you want to see. They send the originals (to your school) and you can look at them at a set time for anything up to three hours. You can bring one other person with you if you wish (a teacher or even a past Leaving Certer would be a good choice). Then if you want to appeal any results you get another form (or more forms) to fill out. Marking schemes are available for you to check as well, and there should be calculators too if you want to make sure all your marks were added up correctly. No pens are allowed in.

Its €50 (fee may have changed since '09) to get it checked for EACH script. The fee is refunded if your GRADE changes, doesnt matter if you go UP or DOWN a grade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

bren2001 wrote: »
    Its €50 (fee may have changed since '09) to get it checked for EACH script. The fee is refunded if your GRADE changes, doesnt matter if you go UP or DOWN a grade.

Is it not €40? And I thought that you could check your scripts for free, but it costs you to actually send them off and get them re-marked? Or is that what you meant...? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

It's free to view as many scripts as you like, then €40 each if you want to appeal a subject. You get your money back if your grade changes, regardless of whether it goes up or down. :) I wouldn't be too surprised if they increased the €40 fee this year though, they're increasing everything else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

Togepi wrote: »
    It's free to view as many scripts as you like, then €40 each if you want to appeal a subject. You get your money back if your grade changes, regardless of whether it goes up or down. :) I wouldn't be too surprised if they increased the €40 fee this year though, they're increasing everything else!

Oh yes, I'm getting view and check mixed up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

It says in this year's candidate guide that it's €40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ThatGuy93

Would really appreciate answers to a few questions I have in relation to getting your papers rechecked and the CAO.

(1) What happens if you were to get exactly the points required to get your course, and you then accepted the course on the CAO, but you then decided to get a paper rechecked. But when you get the paper rechecked you go down a grade. Would you lose your place on the course?

(2) Similarly if you are 5 points below getting your course, and you get a paper rechecked and you go up 5 points, would you then be offered a guaranteed place on the course for the following year?

(3) And when a course's previous points say's that not all applicants on these points were offered a place, how do they choose which applicants on the required points get a place. Is it a random computer generated selection?

Thanks alot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

ThatGuy93 wrote: »
    (1) What happens if you were to get exactly the points required to get your course, and you then accepted the course on the CAO, but you then decided to get a paper rechecked. But when you get the paper rechecked you go down a grade. Would you lose your place on the course?

I'm not sure about this. If you had the exact points for your course, it would probably be a bad idea to send a paper off, unless something was obviously wrong with it. Papers can easily go down as well as up.
    (2) Similarly if you are 5 points below getting your course, and you get a paper rechecked and you go up 5 points, would you then be offered a guaranteed place on the course for the following year?

Some courses will leave spaces for people who go up on rechecks, and you can join them when the results of it come out, around mid/late October. If you can't get onto the course this year, afaik you're offered a place for the following year.
    (3) And when a course's previous points say's that not all applicants on these points were offered a place, how do they choose which applicants on the required points get a place. Is it a random computer generated selection?

When the star appears beside a course points, this is random selection. A computer will just have picked randomly the amount of people it needs to fill the course from all those on the same points.

• Advertisement

Technically, I suppose it could happen, but in practice I have never heard of it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

According to our guidance counsellor the chances of that happening are really small, but you would lose your place.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Namlub wrote: »
    According to our guidance counsellor the chances of that happening are really small, but you would lose your place.

I don't think any college/institute/university would actually withdraw your place. It's not official, but they'd want to be pretty cruel to do so.

Namlub wrote: »
    And as QoL will tell you (if you can hear her through the steam from her ears) guidance counsellors are always right about absolutely everything! If she had listened to her one, she would never have been in the secretarial course she's currently enjoying so much! :pac:

Not having a go at them, in fairness, a lot of them are very good, but they're not omniscient either.

S/he is definitely right about there normally being very few downgrades though; people can and do get downgraded on appeal, but it's a tiny tiny number each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭bren2001

Would really appreciate answers to a few questions I have in relation to getting your papers rechecked and the CAO.

Happened to my sister. She got 525, got English rechecked and went down to 520. Her course was 525. you keep your place on your course, you've already been offered it, paid the registration fees and are a few weeks into it (depending on your College) I don't even know if the College would be updated on your results.

Once its offered, its yours.

If you got the points for your course, why would you get it rechecked?
    CTYIgirl wrote: »
    It says in this year's candidate guide that it's €40

To be honest, I took a wild guess at €50, I did mine 3 years ago, didn't get anything re checked.

Advertisement