Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it ok to put grass only in a compost bin

Options
  • 25-06-2012 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

I have plenty of grass going into my bin, will this make compost or am i wasting my time, theres only two of us in the house so we dont have a lot of vegatable waste put in, but anytime i have stuff i put it in,

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'll end up with a smelly mess if you put only grass in; unless you mix in a good dose of 'woody' material - torn up papers or sawdust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Grass in, silage out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Just mix in torn up newspaper and cardboard, in 'at least' equal amounts. Otherwise it will be a stinking sludgey mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Grass on it's own won't do.

Paper shredders are pretty cheap now.
    Also, you can use old tea bags, ash from the fire, eggshells or even the dust from your vacum-cleaner.

Meat's a bad idea, as it attracts vermin.

Also, don't use grass that you've sprayed with weed-killer either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

thanks all for your replys, My nxt question was shud the compost be soggy and stinking, think ill hav to empty the bin and start again,:mad:

• Advertisement

No it shouldn't, that's what happens when you put in lots of grass. Shred up some paper and cardboard and turn it in. Keep adding. It will sort otself out eventually.

O thought i might have to empty it, god theres some smell coming out of it when i turn it,

i can get my hands on plenty of newspaper and sawdust,

Cool, dont put too much saw dust in, just spinkle it in thin layers, it's slow to breakdown.

Now ive started adding paper and sawdust, seems to be drying it up ok. Suprized the neighbours havent been into me, the smell out of it,
    I have all the relations collecting there vegtable waste for me,
    thanks all for your help,:D

No worries, you'll get the hang of it. I think everybody starts with a mushy stinking mess :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

sorry for the hijack but is food waste ok to throw in? and how long before i have useable compost? it's been there about a month and a half now. it stinks and has some fluid in the bottom of it.
    thanks in advance

No cooked food at all, it brings rats, I think its two years before you start to c any compost,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Add some compost accellerator which can be bought from a gardening store or some DIY stores. It will help get things going and reduce the time needed.
    You just put a little in with some water every so often and stir it in.

Advertisement