Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

applying for 5th firearm in the household

Options
  • 25-06-2012 2:19am
    Site Banned Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi.

Just wanted to double check, i already have a .22 (for bunny bashing), O/U shotgun (clay rough shooting), .270 (deer rifle) ive now bought a .223 (Foxing rig) and i bought my fiance a shotgun which is licenced to her but in my safe.

that makes a total of 4 guns already (i have a 7 gun safe) applying for a 5th i just need a normal alarm right? dont need a monitored one till the 6th gun??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Yeah you're correct bu the super could insist upon a monitored alarm if he wishes.

You're going to need to licence yourself on your fiances shotgun too if you have it in your safe and if she has access to the safe she'll need to have a licence for each of your firearms too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Blay wrote: »
    You're going to need to licence yourself on your fiances shotgun too if you have it in your safe and if she has access to the safe she'll need to have a licence for each of your firearms too.

That's a possibility, but your local FO might not require it. If he does, it will be much cheaper (and easier) to buy a 2nd gunsafe for your fiancees gun.

• Site Banned Posts: 179 ✭✭JasonBourne

there wasent an eye lid better when her application went through. im not worried about that.

thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I presume the two of you live together?

If that's the case then she need not be licensed on your firearms. If the gun is hers you do not even need to be licensed on hers.

She submits her FCA1 using the address ye both live. As partners/future spouses the house is a common dwelling and as such she can have her guns there, and you yours.

I have my guns in my Father's house. I have a license on some of his but not all, and he only has a license to one of mine. All i done was submit a letter to say i had his permission to store my firearms in his home as it was my primary dwelling. I submitted this letter once, and never had to do it again. The only time An Gardaí may get touchy is if she were to store her gun at your house, and you had no firearms yourself. However as you have firearms of your own in the eyes of An Gardaí you are already competent to hold firearms, and with access to four different types, and calibers i'm sure they will not be concerned with a shotgun.

Now if she does not yet live with you it changes things but not by much. All she need do is submit the FCA1 with a similar letter saying you have given her permission to store her firearm at your residence.

Her gun is the 5th stored in the house. Irrespective of the owner it's the amount of firearms stored at any one dwelling that determines the sercurity system required. So you cannot have 9 firearms and level 3 security as 4 are hers, and 5 are yours. If ya get my meaning. If you are applying for a 5th gun (in your name) it will make a total of 6 guns in the household meaning you are automatically in level 4 security.

I think i've covered everything, and i rambled a bit as i mis-read the OP.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

is it 4guns is the limit for the lower level of security??

always thought it was 3 as in the 4th required a step up..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

hedzball wrote: »
    is it 4guns is the limit for the lower level of security??

always thought it was 3 as in the 4th required a step up..

Type and number of firearms
    Secure accommodation standard
    1 One non-restricted shot-gun.
    The shot-gun shall be disassembled and each part shall be stored securely and separately when not in use. The trigger housing shall be secured against use with an appropriate trigger lock.
    2 One restricted firearm or three or fewer non-restricted firearms.
    Each firearm shall be stored securely in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure.
    3 Two restricted firearms, or more than three non-restricted firearms.
    Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure. The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621.
    4 Three or more restricted firearms or six or more firearms, of any type, kept in the same place.
    In addition to the standards specified at reference number 3, the place in which the firearms are stored shall have an intruder alarm system, installed and maintained by installers licensed by the Private Security Authority, which complies with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent standard approved by the Commissioner of the Garda Siochana. The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licensed by the Private Security Authority, and supported with GSM Mobile telephone service back up signalling facilities.

Advertisement