Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabin allowance on connecting flight.

Options
  • 25-06-2012 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm traveling to New York with BA from Cork via Heathrow. I've booked on lastminute.com and my flight numbers are all BA, however the Cork to Heathrow route is operated by Aerlingus. My BA cabin allowance is a generous 23 kgs. As my itenary lists a BA flight number, I'm under the impression I am bound by BA's policies regarding baggage -both checked & cabin and not Aerlingus.....
    Anyone have any experiences connecting with Aerlingus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What does your ticket say?

I imagine the BA rules apply. If any of the Aer Lingus rules are more generous, the **might** overlook the matter on the AL flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

I've never done that exact flight before but I have flown, aer lingus Dub-Lon then BA Lon-San Fran on the one ticket and I was told that the BA baggage and cabin allowances would apply to me on the aer lingus flight but that if my cabin carry on was too large to fit in the overhead compartments then they would have to check the bag in at no extra cost to me. My cabin bag was larger than the aer lingus permitted sizes on the website but it fitted into the compartment easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Checked in allowances are the same (which is where you are getting the 23kg bit from I think), but carry on allowance would be Aer Lingus. Such things are always at the discretion of the airline operating the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

From BA website
    If you travel with British Airways and another airline during your journey, the British Airways baggage allowance may be more generous and you could be charged for extra baggage by the other airline.

In any case hand luggage is mainly bound by size, unless you are carrying gold bullion it would not be 23Kg anyhow. Check the relative sizes of Aer Lingus and BA hand luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Tigre wrote: »
    I'm traveling to New York with BA from Cork via Heathrow. I've booked on lastminute.com and my flight numbers are all BA, however the Cork to Heathrow route is operated by Aerlingus. My BA cabin allowance is a generous 23 kgs. As my itenary lists a BA flight number, I'm under the impression I am bound by BA's policies regarding baggage -both checked & cabin and not Aerlingus.....
    Anyone have any experiences connecting with Aerlingus?

The luggage allowance is governed by whoever issued your ticket, in this case as it's a BA flight it should be BA rules. It should be clearly stated on your ticket as well as your online "manage my booking" (or similar) section. Print it and bring it to the airport, just in case!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I flew from new Zealand with qantas who have a 23kg allowance. I was connecting from london back to uk with aer lingual who only allow 20kg. When I was checking my bag through at Wellington airport, the qantas rep told me that my bag was 22kg and I would be liable for any excess baggage fees from aer lingus. Thankfully I managed to remove enough stuff into my hand luggage to bring it below 20kg :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

I flew from new Zealand with qantas who have a 23kg allowance. I was connecting from london back to uk with aer lingual who only allow 20kg. When I was checking my bag through at Wellington airport, the qantas rep told me that my bag was 22kg and I would be liable for any excess baggage fees from aer lingus. Thankfully I managed to remove enough stuff into my hand luggage to bring it below 20kg :D

From what you are explaining, and the fact that you needed to check in your bag again in London, I would assume that you have had two separate tickets, one from Wellington to London and another one from London to Aer Lingus, in which case the second flight is indeed governed by AL rules.

However, if the tickets was a "consolidated" ticket, i.e. issued by Qantas all the way through and showed a Qantas "codeshare" flight number for London to Dublin leg, then your luggage would have been transferred between flights automatically and not checked again, and you would be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

if you have 23kg of cabin luggage and aerlingus allow you to bring that into the cabin with you, then you should know that to get to the aircraft in cork you normally need to take steps down from departures and again at the plan on the apron as the airbridges arent in use.

If you ask nicely the staff will let you use the lift to get to down to the apron.
    To get into the aircraft cabin itsself you'll have to carry that 23kg of cabin luggage up the steps yourself though. In wind and rain not an envyable task.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

As I said weight is not the issue here, size is. Aer Lingus will allow you take something in the cabin if it fits in the box, otherwise you'll have to check it. They rarely weigh cabin luggage anyway.

Check the dratted thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tigre

if you have 23kg of cabin luggage and aerlingus allow you to bring that into the cabin with you, then you should know that to get to the aircraft in cork you normally need to take steps down from departures and again at the plan on the apron as the airbridges arent in use.

If you ask nicely the staff will let you use the lift to get to down to the apron.
    To get into the aircraft cabin itsself you'll have to carry that 23kg of cabin luggage up the steps yourself though. In wind and rain not an envyable task.

Yeah in reality it probably won't be over 20 kgs like and generally speaking Aerlingus are not that strict with cabin baggage (in my experiences anyway!)
    It's funny you mention the airbridge, I heard it broke withIn a few weeks of the new terminal opening and they never bothered to fix it! But last week when I arrived on a Ryanair flight I saw the airbridge attached to an Aerlingus aircraft! Wonder how long it'll last this time!
    Anyways I'm going to email BA and see what they say! If it's in my favour I'll be sure to print it off as a back up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

BA and Aer Lingus are Code Share partners so I think you should be grand. As always check with the Air lines but essentially as Code Shares they'd have a hard job charging you part way though.

Its different if you are connecting to a different airline entirely.

Advertisement