Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk tray - Holles St.?

Options
  • 25-06-2012 6:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

My wife will be in Holles St. in a couple of days to have our first child. Does anyone know how much the shop in there charges for the tray of milk/formula until her own breast-milk comes in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭dchris

Are you having a laugh? They give you milk in the hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

whoami1 wrote: »
    My wife will be in Holles St. in a couple of days to have our first child. Does anyone know how much the shop in there charges for the tray of milk/formula until her own breast-milk comes in?

Never been in Holles Street but most hospitals will provide formula. This isn't Greece. Yet!

Relax. You're stressing too much. It'll be grand. Life changing but grand! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

If she is intending to breastfeed then there should be no need to give formula from the start. She would be better feeding from as close to the birth as possible, giving the baby colostrum and this will help her milk come in quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

She will latch the baby on for giving him/her colostrum for the first 3-6 days. The milk usually comes in on day 4 but can be delayed up to 3 days if she has a c-section.

Don't give formula if your wife intends to breastfeed. Let nature do its thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭whoami1

She will latch the baby on for giving him/her colostrum for the first 3-6 days. The milk usually comes in on day 4 but can be delayed up to 3 days if she has a c-section.

It's the delay that had me concerned. I thought that the delay would mean that everything was delayed. Is the colostrum not delayed as well?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It's the delay that had me concerned. I thought that the delay would mean that everything was delayed. Is the colostrum not delayed as well?
    No it comes in immediately and if the baby needs more then the hospital will give you bottles to top it up , I can not remember if they charged us for them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

The bottles are free while you're in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭whoami1

Moonbeam wrote: »
    No it comes in immediately and if the baby needs more then the hospital will give you bottles to top it up , I can not remember if they charged us for them .

Thank you - much appreciated.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If you latch baby on from birth, then they are getting the colostrum and it will help the milk come in, no need for formula, as long as you are getting wet and dirty nappies the nurses will be happy.

I had a C-Section and breastfeed exclusively. On day 2 I mistakenly thought that baby was too hungry and wasnt getting enough from me and gave him a little formula that was given to me by the nurses, but it came right back up again, he simply didnt need it. His crying and wanting to feed was natures way of telling my milk to come in.

Since then, he was almost back up to his birthweight leaving the hospital and a week later was heavier. He is growing like a weed and its a great reassurance that I'm giving him enough milk. The best thing I did was learn to trust that my body is designed to give the baby all the nourishment he needs.

But to answer your original question, formula is free in the hospital. I ended up taking a couple of the little bottles home "just in case" which I still have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

As has already been said, there is no need for formula at all if your partner is breastfeeding. Colostrum is exactly what your baby needs for the dirst few days of life. Giving the baby formula will ultimately delay the milk coming in and make breastfeeding more difficult, as the baby needs to feed to stimulate milk supply- and the baby will probably feed a lot in order to do this.
    There is a great lactation consultant in Holles street that your partner can see for free for advice up until 6 weeks after the birth.
    Hope all goes well :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

If for whatever reason the bf isn't successful you can buy a tray of those little bottles with the sterilised teat for €24 for 24 bottles. However you'd only need to pay for them when leaving. They provide bottles FOC while you're a patient. The little bottles are very handy for the first few days when home. I bf both of mine and my youngest (14 weeks tomorrow!) and he took virtually nothing off me until he was about 30 hours old. They told me not to worry as babies take very little in the first 24 hours. So don't worry about it if your baby is sucking away immediately. I had both of mine in Holles and the staff are amazing. Ask for all the help you get as from talking to friends who haven't established bf by the time they leave the hos it's virtually impossible to get it back. The lactation staff and midwives are amazing! Enjoy it all. Such an exciting time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

All because the baby likes milktray

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

No, I've known lots of women to successfully breastfeed after c sections. I mentioned only because sometimes it happens and the mother automatically thinks she has no milk. Frequent nursing will encourage the milk to come in and in the meantime the colostrum is there ready to give a fantastic immunity boost. It's also good to keep the baby in bed with the mother so he/she can latch on whenever they want. Babies nurse for comfort and reassurance not hunger in the first days. It's a way to reconnect with their mothers after being separated. Their tummies are tiny so a teaspoon of colostrum at a time is enough.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

You are right about the latching on right away, How Strange.

They got me to breastfeed more or less as soon as I was stitched up and in recovery.
    Then, as he was born at around lunchtime, he stayed by my side until midnight when they sent my partner home and bedded baby down for the night, so all day he was suckling, and we dozed intermittently, and I think thats why we are both flying it on the breast feeding.

Advertisement