Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car robbery at Balgriffin Cemetery, Carrs Lane

Options
  • 25-06-2012 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hi All

On Saturday Afternoon at about 12 in the afternoon, my girlfriend and her parents went to visit her nana, they parked up about 20 feet from the entrance to the graveyard and went in.

They returned 15 mins (max) later to notice the door was open, they just thought they forgot to lock it, until they went around to the drivers door and noticed a drilled hole in the driver lock.

To their shock they opened the boot and both handbags were stolen with a few bits of shopping, as you can imagine, everything was in their bags, very personal and sentimental items that can never be replaced.

From what I've heard (from gardai) this is happening ALOT in this area, they thought it was safer to put the bags in the boot, but they were clearly being watched as there were other bags in the back seat untouched and these low lifes knew where the handbags were.

Has anyone heard of or been a victim of a similar theft in this area? Any good results? It's more just the personal items that would have absolutely no use to these scumbags that I would love to try recover.

I am just wondering if anyone knows the likelyhood of them doing this with the use of a getaway car or would they possibly do it on foot and run through the GAA fields and dump the bags? Anything ?

Any advice/stories at all would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sorry for your girlfriends and parents experience.
    paulb06 wrote: »
    they thought it was safer to put the bags in the boot
    It generally only safer if they are placed in the boot prior to coming to the end of the journey. Otherwise theives know exactly where to look. It can be seen at beaches, beauty spots, sporting events etc. all the time. People stop in the car park, identify all their valuables and then place them in the boot under the watchful eyes of the undesireables. It's much better to stop along the way, put away valuables and then just exit the vehicle at the destination and lock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

place is RAMPANT with pikeys. the campions pub for a start is a pikey pub for the msot part.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭paulb06

Gardai had mentioned that alright. We went into Campions and spoke to the barman and he didn't have any info other than that it's happening alot.

Just spoke to Fingal Memorials and the man I spoke to said that there used to be people living in the cemetery, more than likely the bags would've been dumped once they got what they could.

Going to give Innishfails GAA club a call later and see what they say, going to take a trip up there later and have a good look around the vicinity/passed the GAA pitches, there seems to be a lane way too not sure where it leads to though, clutching at straws I know but there's a slight chance they were dumped somewhere close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sweeping genaralisations/insinuations like the above are not welcome, nor are they tolerated in this forum.

tHB

Sweeping genaralisations/insinuations like the above are not welcome, nor are they tolerated in this forum.

tHB

Sorry, It won't happen again, post edited.

• Advertisement

Had a good root around the area yesterday evening, no luck. It's funny aswell, my girlfriend and her parents called the gardai at the time and there wasn't a car available at that time so they had to go to the station to report it.

While we were searching around, gardai came straught away querying what we were up to!

Oh well, at least we had a look. Lost cause now at this stage.

Advertisement