Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eenie, meenie, minie, mo

• 25-06-2012 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭

How do you make big life decisions?

I have to make one over the next few days and I can't think of any other way of making it other than the old 'catching a ******' routine. Or whatever the PC rhyme is now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Toss a coin - if you don't get the result you really want you'll say to yourself "best out of three". Then you'll know the answer you're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Start a poll and trust the wisdom of AH

We'll see you right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I have to make one over the next few days and I can't think of any other way of making it other than the old 'catching a ******' routine. Or whatever the PC rhyme is now.

Do both, just do one of them first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Well the obvious answer would be by weighing up the pros vs the cons, but people say I'm old fashioned and should leave things to chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Write down the choices in brief on pieces of paper, put them in a hat and shuffle them around. Eyes closed and pick one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

[nosey]
    Whats the decision?
    [/nosey]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

^^^ I'm with nosey.

C'mon HP tell us the Big, Life Changing dilemma and we will give you the answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Take the risk, if you come out on top all good

if you don't

You've still come out learning something which is just as good :cool:

if you don't risk you don't go any where and youle never know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Wax - if you shave you'll have stubble in a couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Make a pro's and Con's list for both and then if you still dont have a decision go with your gut feeling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

^^^ I'm with nosey.

C'mon HP tell us the Big, Life Changing dilemma and we will give you the answer

Ok disclosure for the nosey folk; I got offered a college place but it was my second choice and not what I really want to do. It's not in any way related to my first choice so there's no hope of moving onto it.
    I don't want to spend the years doing something I hate nor do I want to drop out. But who knows I could end up loving the course! Grrrr

Ok disclosure for the nosey folk; I got offered a college place but it was my second choice and not what I really want to do. It's not in any way related to my first choice so there's no hope of moving onto it.
    I don't want to spend the years doing something I hate nor do I want to drop out. But who knows I could end up loving the course! Grrrr
    Is there any chance you will get your first choice in a later round of offers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Dr.Strange

Just to be extremely nosey, can you tell what the course is that you got accepted for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

if you don't want to do the course, don't do it. It will be a nightmare few years for you and you will end of hating it and struggling to finish it. Then you might get tied into an industry afterwards than you don't want to be in.

Try get a job for a year (difficult I know) and build up work experience. Or go travelling for a year and get work experience abroad or try do a short term (one year course) that would help you get your first choice next year (or help you with that course in the longer term).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i wasted two years of my life doing a course i didnt like.
    be very sure you want to do a course before investing a lot of time in them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Dr.Strange

If it's a course that will lead to employment I would consider it, even if it wasn't my 'first choice'.

There's no point in doing something you 'like' if there are very little chances of getting work from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Hairy Princess, I was in college two years ago loved the course in first year I was learning lots... How ever, I got into second year and came to the conclusion that it was the wrong course for me, so i tuck a year out and applied else where...

seriously if your hearts not in it your just wasting a place some one else could use and your own time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

It's a tough one alright. I never went to college but if I ever decided to return to education, I think it would be do do a course that interested me rather than a course for the sake of a course.

When do you find out about your first choice? Will you have to decide on the second choice soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

What I did fadó fadó was go work for a year
    Work like mad, do all the overtime God sent and save like a good thing

Maybe you'll be more certain in a years time HP
    And you'll have savings so you won't be broke and slumming it in college

Alas Ireland is different now and it's not so easy for school leavers to walk into decent jobs anymore
    But just an option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

the eenie meenie minie mo method is flawed, as whichever option you start it on will always be the one you dont get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Finally going for the laser hair removal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Op - think long and hard about what course is right for you. Spending a year repaeating the leaving cert (I presume?) is nothing compared to spending 4+ years in a course you're "just not that into" or spending half you're working life doing it.

There must have been some reason you put it down as a second choice?? If not, you should have left it blank - all or nothing. What were the reasons it went 2nd instead of 1st?

Don't leave the decision to chance anyway - get a piece of paper and list the pros and cons of each option you have.

Think of it this way - you're very lucky to have choices - a lot of people don't have that luxury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Why did you choose this as your second choice? did you not ask AH before making this decision ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I catch a negro by the toe and if he squeals, I let him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

Write down the pros and cons of both decisions.
    It will give you a clearer picture of whats important to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Normally discuss it ad nauseum with partner/friends/family/milkman and then totally ignore all their advice and do what I was going to do in the first place :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Wax - if you shave you'll have stubble in a couple of days.

don't ya mean epilate? :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

dont go with the second choice if you think you are going to be unhappy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Forget everything you just read and go with Squods choice. It's the cost to good looking ratio. Workout the cost of college. Books, traansport food fees etc for both courses and then decide if the extra money spent will lead to you having sex with meeting better looking people .
    Cost
    Attractiveness

Example....
    cost = 4,500pa
    Attractiveness of the class = 7 (out of ten)

Result; 643 for option one

• Advertisement

Uriel. wrote: »
    Try get a job for a year (difficult I know) and build up work experience. Or go travelling for a year and get work experience abroad or try do a short term (one year course) that would help you get your first choice next year (or help you with that course in the longer term).
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    Alas Ireland is different now and it's not so easy for school leavers to walk into decent jobs anymore
    But just an option
    Op - think long and hard about what course is right for you. Spending a year repeating the leaving cert (I presume?) is nothing compared to spending 4+ years in a course you're "just not that into" or spending half you're working life doing it.

Think of it this way - you're very lucky to have choices - a lot of people don't have that luxury.

I had to lol at these responses, unfortunately I'm not a 17 year old just finished the leaving cert with no responsibilities! I'm a mature (and I use that word lightly ;)) student. I just completed an Access course.

Ah I've kinda come around to the idea of the second choice course now. I used the 'tossing a coin, best of three method'. Now I just need to cross my fingers for three years and not walk under any ladders :cool:.

But, if I fuck this up and go down, I'm bringing you lot with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Try this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Atari Jaguar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Catch a knicker on the toe I think this is no? eenie meenie miinee mo catch a something on the toe???:confused:

Best to weigh out all your options OP, pro's and con's of what ever big decision you are to make. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I just lep at the option that makes me scared in a happy way, that always works out, logic never does*

*In these applications, everywhere else, yey logic!

• Advertisement

Usually your gut feeling or instinct will kind of tell you, what you be most happy about not just it being logical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Has "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe" been changed to keep the PC brigade happy, or do kids still attempt to apprehend African Americans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I always thought it was "catch a nipper by the toe":eek:

Shocked, I am.

Senna wrote: »
    Has "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe" been changed to keep the PC brigade happy, or do kids still attempt to apprehend African Americans?

I'm not sure if they are still after the Africian American folk and it's a little late, not to mention cruel to wake my children and ask them. But be sure I will find the answer to this serious issue in the morning :cool:

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

I was expecting a racial slur in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

So you did eenie meenie for your course selection too? That worked well.

Good luck, hope it all works out!
    But, if I fuck this up and go down, I'm bringing you lot with me

:rolleyes: Ah, we'll meet you down there :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Toss a coin up in the air and when it is up pick a side.

That is when you will really realise what side you want it to fall on most.

Never fails.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You could save some time, this is shorter, but not a prime number.

Ip dip , sky blue, who's it? not you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

So, when did other people switch to saying "catch a tiger by the toe"? I think I was five or six, so 1989 or 1990.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

The OH and myself are complete opposites and equally incapable of making decisions so you would often find us rock paper scissoring everything.

Advertisement