Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly fishing comps - how are they monitored?

Options
  • 25-06-2012 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

just wondering, theres a club near me which hold a number of competitions on the river. the river is catch and release and just wondering how they decide who wins? for competitions, is it usual to keep the fish you catch over a certain size, even on a catch and release river?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

similar to pike competitions, fish are weighed live and returned to the river.
    usually there are a couple of Stewart's nominated who fish in the competition also. the weight is written down on a card and signed by the Steward, then everybody hands there cards in after comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 evilgannet

Fly fishing competition I attended (many moons ago) you had to bring a second individual with you. Said second was then assigned to another fisherman. When one made a catch the second measured it and returned it to it's watery abode. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

oh right. isnt that a bit of a pain. i mean, u would want some distance between u when fishing. everytime yer man caught one, u have to trapse over to him... and maybe even spoil an area he would be fishing next while coming over? or have i pictured it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 evilgannet

Your not fishing your watching him fish, all you to is soak up the weather and quickly measure any fish that he catches. You stand well back unless he catches something not difficulty when your not actually fishing.

Advertisement