Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CUT IN HOURS

• 25-06-2012 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I just got my 4th contract today however hours were seriously reduced to be given to other perm/CID teachers. This is partially due to the guidance allocation too. However out of 7 RPT staff it was only the female teachers that faced a cut in hours and the 3 males remained on the same as last year. What is one to do? Just be happy that in this current climate your received a contract

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭dchris

ed06 wrote: »
    I just got my 4th contract today however hours were seriously reduced to be given to other perm/CID teachers. This is partially due to the guidance allocation too. However out of 7 RPT staff it was only the female teachers that faced a cut in hours and the 3 males remained on the same as last year. What is one to do? Just be happy that in this current climate your received a contract

Are you suggesting there is sexism afoot?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ed06

all seven of us have the same contract in nature and the hours are comming from the same allocation. it is just ironic really i suppose. why should we all get hit hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭dchris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

also depends on subjects and continuance of classes. However if you are suggesting sexism then talk to your union but make sure of your facts, are you sure no male has hours cut, are the females hours all over quota with CID/PWT staff whereas male teachers may not be?

the driver all of us are employed on resource contracts to deliver resource to students. we provide team teaching and withdrawal and therefore done need subject combo's as priority. Def no male teacher was cut. this is despite the fact that some of the males are only going into their 2nd and 3rd of rpt contracts. all of the females on their 4th rpt resource contract were cut. management seen to have so much power of late.

• Advertisement

resource or not, the subjects do matter because its a case of what the school ultimately requires and a lot of the time teachers looking for CIDs don't appreciate that. If you are convinced there is an injustice against you, contact the union as no one here can advise you unless they have the exact full details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭easterbride

Is there something about if you get a certain amount of hours in year 3, you have to be given those hours in year 4? Remember someone having an issue with this, rang the union and got sorted with full hours ~ I could be wrong, might be worth ringing the union though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

the driver all of us are employed on resource contracts to deliver resource to students. we provide team teaching and withdrawal and therefore done need subject combo's as priority. Def no male teacher was cut. this is despite the fact that some of the males are only going into their 2nd and 3rd of rpt contracts. all of the females on their 4th rpt resource contract were cut. management seen to have so much power of late.

It seems like a coincidence that all the 4th year teachers are female. Your hours have been cut - fact.

Dont bang the sexist drum just yet you need to establish what the case is exactly.

Has anyone received an increase in hours?

Have you read your contract? It may not even be reckonable for a cid due to the fluid nature of the resource allocation. Much of this depends on the enrollment and the profile of kids in the school. if you have kids leaving with needs and none to replace them hours will only go one way. It is entirely possible that there would be no resource posts in your school in the future.

when you know all of the facts call your union. I would imagine that if all of your contracts are the same as you claim that there may be a case.

as the driver said subjects are important. no school needs too many of any type of Teacher, harsh but a fact again.

There must be some subject mentioned on your contract, how can you team teach if you have no subject qualification? i assume that all of you have different subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Keep in mind that there have been huge cuts to resource and language support.
    Subject combinations do matter in the greater scheme of teacher allocation and sorting out a timetable.
    I do hope it is not sexism, but I would advise you to thread carefully and have all your facts straight before making a big hulabaloo. You don't want your hours reduced further!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I was under the impression that it was the hours you're on in your fourth year determines the hours you get on your CID and if this is the case (and ai thought it was), the fact that you and the other females are on your fourth contract is why your hours have been cut. Nothing to do with being female. You're just closer to that CID than the males are so management doesn't have to worry about committing to their hours long term yet but they do have to consider that with you.

Might just be me being cynical (or indeed wrong) but that's my reading of the situation.

• Advertisement

but unfortunately you can't just cut on the last year without good reason especially as less senior people have not been cut, again unless there is a reason. I wouldn't ever risk doing it unless I had a copperfast reason, even if its only an excuse there must be a reason

THEDRIVER thanks for your responses, some of the rpt staff are on ASD resource contracts and the ones how are cut are on mainstream resource contracts. we all deliver resource in the same way and alot of us have the same subject combo. those who are in the school on their third and second contract are employed on both asd and resource contracts. the only excuse given for our cuts was to give hours to mainstream teachers and the guidance counsellor. is there any point in invoking grievance procedure????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 homolytically

I just got my 4th contract today

Build one of these

337px-Akashi-kaikyo_bridge3.jpg

AND

get%20over%20it.jpg

homolytically i wish it was that easy but when you get cut 13 hours.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 homolytically

it was only the female teachers that faced a cut in hours and the 3 males remained on the same as last year.

Maybe they were just more qualified, it's not a sexism thing

you can invoke any procedure you like but I would make sure you get sound advice from the union.

To be honest please hear some advice, you are flinging accusations around since you started this thread and i hope youdon't scream into the principal like this, I have had my share of people who feel self justified but actually have no grounds for recourse. Make your case calmly, get the backing you require and seek a redecision. If not, then unfortunately life is tough and you must get over it. Don't go around the staffroom huffing and puffing if your union tells you you have no case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

i dont want to souund arrogant but since doing my dip i have done relevant masters, post grads and cert courses relevant to my contract so i dont think one could classify it as the hiring of the most qualified!!! clearly i should just build a bridge

Ignore all the retarded posts, there's a lot of that around here lately.

Follow it up with your union, no one here will be able to give you a definitive answer, however if you are all teaching similar resource hours and have the same qualifications (the guys in 2nd and 3rd year) then in its simplest form you should not have a reason to have your hours cut before them. I would leave the sexism thing out of it. It may be a factor, but it's far more likely that it's because you and the other teachers are due CIDs next year. Follow it up on that line of enquiry rather than the sexism one, because at the end of the day, your qualifications and seniority within the school are black and white facts that can't be argued.

E.g. Teacher A: Ed06: qualified in English and resource, teaching resource for 4 years, cut from 22 hours to 13 hours
    Teacher B: qualified in English and resource, teaching resource for 2 years, remains on 22 hours.

And look for an explanation for the above instead of gender factor.

If there are other factors that you weren't aware of, then perhaps the hours have been awarded fairly and there won't be anything you can't do about it. That's something you'll have to get the union to investigate for you.

What exactly are ASD hours?

ASD is autistic spectrum. And Flouresence, what the hell are you on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

TheDriver wrote: »
    ASD is autistic spectrum. And Flouresence, what the hell are you on about?

Thanks. On a go slow today.
    When I saw ASD hours I was wondering what new contract had been invented recently? :)

Atari Jaguar... the preserve of the After Hours trolls.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Just popping in to let people know that Fluoresence and I are not the same person. Cheers.

Apologies for the mess my imposter has made to your lovely forum :)

• Advertisement

What a difference a "C" makes!

Advertisement