Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6-week old reseed - Comment please

• 25-06-2012 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Reseeded 6 weeks ago. Still very stripey!
    Was disced, limed, fertilised, power-harrowed, set and rolled.
    Looks to me like the seeder was not laying seed down on one side, or maybe buried it too deep on one side. Uniform strips down the field.
    Or maybe I'm panicking and the poor growth has affected it?:confused:
    Thanks.

misc226.th.jpg
    misc225.th.jpg
    misc227.th.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i reseeded 6 acres last year, barrow was crap... some sections had no grass seed at all:eek: i spread some seed by hand ,grazed it with sheep put urea on it and grazed it then with cows.... then topped it , was alot of weeds in it... its perfect now... was awful to look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

A light grazing with sheep will thicken that reseed up quite a bit. We haven't really got great weather for grass growth, hence your spring reseed looks more like a reseed that was done in autumn. When the growth does hit it, it will take off. Sheep will trim it down and eat out some of the weeds - be careful not to over graze it.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

reilig wrote: »
    A light grazing with sheep will thicken that reseed up quite a bit. We haven't really got great weather for grass growth, hence your spring reseed looks more like a reseed that was done in autumn. When the growth does hit it, it will take off. Sheep will trim it down and eat out some of the weeds - be careful not to over graze it.

Thanks, reilig. I have no sheep, but do have Spring calves, who will do a job on it and are light on their feet:D
    I sprayed it with Undersown and seem to have gotten a good kill.

Should I graze first or spread nitrogen first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Well Pat - Have you post emerged sprayed them yet?

They will thicken after the first grazing. If you are using calves don't leave it get too strong but also give it enough time for the roots to strengthen.

It looks a bit stripey alright but you'll be amazed how much it fills in once tillering takes place after the first grazing

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Well Pat - Have you post emerged sprayed them yet?

They will thicken after the first grazing. If you are using calves don't leave it get too strong but also give it enough time for the roots to strengthen.

It looks a bit stripey alright but you'll be amazed how much it fills in once tillering takes place after the first grazing

Yeah, Tipp Man, sprayed it on a dry day before we "bate" Cork at the weekend:D
    Spread a bit of Target fert on it yesterday. Will graze with calves once it passes the "Pull test":) Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭kingstown

Not a expert by any means but would also agree Reilig & Tipp Man, that a light grazing in 'good conditions' would only do it good, and once a bit of growth takes hold it will fill in, so all should be well. The field in the photo looks well, nice hedges etc as they say up our way ''a nice warm farm''

Do you mind me asking why you went for the plough, till and sow as apposed to the direct drill / stitching reseeding.

Have a couple of fields myself which really perished / suffered this spring and haven't come good yet. Hope to put slurry out on it later to see if it helps but i am thinking of reseeding as it must be in grass least 30 years now.
    Thats why i am wondering as to which method is best, might do one in Sept and again one next April / may

kingstown wrote: »
    Not a expert by any means but would also agree Reilig & Tipp Man, that a light grazing in 'good conditions' would only do it good, and once a bit of growth takes hold it will fill in, so all should be well. The field in the photo looks well, nice hedges etc as they say up our way ''a nice warm farm''

Do you mind me asking why you went for the plough, till and sow as apposed to the direct drill / stitching reseeding.

Have a couple of fields myself which really perished / suffered this spring and haven't come good yet. Hope to put slurry out on it later to see if it helps but i am thinking of reseeding as it must be in grass least 30 years now.
    Thats why i am wondering as to which method is best, might do one in Sept and again one next April / may

I disced and power-harrowed it, didn't plough.
    I'm going to use reilig's method
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056612955&page=8 (scroll down) for an early autumn one on 2 acres and see how I go.
    Best of luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

a bag of CAN now will help tillering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

PMU wrote: »
    a bag of CAN now will help tillering
    p k for tillering

leg wax wrote: »
    p k for tillering

Thanks, legs,
    I spread 24-2.2-4.5 at 1 bag pa yesterday.
    Will graze over next 2 weeks, if the roots are strong enough...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭FixItAginTomora

Was goin to say go easy on fertilliser, shouldnt need any till after 1st grazing, young hungry calces should be ideal, just make sure its dry enough. Pull the grass yourself and if it breaks as opposed (to pulling up roots! :eek:) ok to graze. Pictures look like tyre lines from the work done, just looks more compact. Dont worry about it, just graze bare. Did you spray before hand If you not worried about clover spray now or docks will get established. Use pastor maybe or the like. Clover shouldnt be out in it yet anyway so spray away.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

leg wax wrote: »
    p k for tillering
    and CAN

Was goin to say go easy on fertilliser, shouldnt need any till after 1st grazing, young hungry calces should be ideal, just make sure its dry enough. Pull the grass yourself and if it breaks as opposed (to pulling up roots! :eek:) ok to graze. Pictures look like tyre lines from the work done, just looks more compact. Dont worry about it, just graze bare. Did you spray before hand If you not worried about clover spray now or docks will get established. Use pastor maybe or the like. Clover shouldnt be out in it yet anyway so spray away.

You are right, in that the bare, weedy bits are much softer underfoot. So therefore the more compacted area(under tyres?) have germinated better, hence the strips, maybe? That said, the headlands are much better altogether. Still looks stripey, but as soon as it stops raining, it'll get grazed, we'll see then.
    Sprayed with glyphosate before discing, post-emergence spray a week ago today. Looks like a good kill on seedling weeds so far.
    Will post another pic in due course.
    Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

Pat, how many times did you roll it?

We now roll after sowing and then again when the grass is up and this really helps tillering.

nashmach wrote: »
    Pat, how many times did you roll it?

We now roll after sowing and then again when the grass is up and this really helps tillering.
    Rolled after sowing only.
    Good idea to roll again when grass comes up, methinks.

Advertisement