Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting People

Options
  • 25-06-2012 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I am sure this thread has been posted numerous times but I couldn't find anything more recent up to 6 months.

I've just recently moved to Ireland/Dublin and am looking for ways apart from the pub to meet people. I unfortunately don't work with people around my own age and I'm finding it kind of difficult to make friends.

I've joined the gym near the Jervis centre but needless to say that's not the best place to meet people either.

Any suggestions? I'm looking into joining a sports team but this also seems to be a bit of a task.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Yeah, the gym wouldn't be the best place to start a conversation. It's a case of people wanting to do their own routine and then get the hell out.

Best thing to do would be to check out any group activities that you're interested in and therefore you'll get chatting/meet new people.

Some forums on boards have beers that you could attend too (there are usually threads on them in each forum).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Try here http://www.meetup.com/cities/ie/dublin/

You can find all sorts of groups of peoples with any hobbies you have or want to take up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

What team sport are you looking to join?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

Hi Sided & welcome to Ireland/ Dublin!

I'm in the same boat as yourself - moved to Dublin just last month. I've never been one for the pub/club scene and am a firm believer instead in the approach of meeting people outside the pub scene.

As you mentioned sports clubs I wanted to suggest looking into Badminton. It's a great way to meet new people (both sexes) and a sport that's easy enough to to pick up (plus it's a fantastic way to keep fit

There are some summer clubs on the go at the moment in and around Dublin - let me know if you want more info

Alternatively I've heard tag rugby is another good sport to meet people (as long as you don't mind getting stuck out in the odd thundershower :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sided

I'd be game for anything really. I've not played many sports apart from basketball and road hockey so.. Something competitive and fun..
    Beau wrote: »
    What team sport are you looking to join?

• Advertisement

Hey, Thanks for the greetings!

I looked into the tag rugby but ordering the shorts for 70 euro? and then having to likely pick up cleats because I am not messing up my running shoes playing.... Sounds like an excuse but seriously. Plus I'm not particularly happy with the rules either. A bit sexist IMO. Women get more points than men based on a tag ... Bit annoying if you ask me.
    zeusnero wrote: »
    Hi Sided & welcome to Ireland/ Dublin!

I'm in the same boat as yourself - moved to Dublin just last month. I've never been one for the pub/club scene and am a firm believer instead in the approach of meeting people outside the pub scene.

As you mentioned sports clubs I wanted to suggest looking into Badminton. It's a great way to meet new people (both sexes) and a sport that's easy enough to to pick up (plus it's a fantastic way to keep fit

There are some summer clubs on the go at the moment in and around Dublin - let me know if you want more info

Alternatively I've heard tag rugby is another good sport to meet people (as long as you don't mind getting stuck out in the odd thundershower :D

humanji wrote: »
    Try here http://www.meetup.com/cities/ie/dublin/

You can find all sorts of groups of peoples with any hobbies you have or want to take up.

I've checked this out and some of these get togethers sound great.. Especially the running group. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 crkmel

i spend all week in Dublin alone, i work in Dublin and depart at the weekends.

If you would like ot meet for a beer let me know

crkmel

Advertisement