Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteers Required - Macreddin - Fri 29th

Options
  • 25-06-2012 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for three volunteers to play at Macreddin this coming Friday (June 29th). I have a tee time booked for four at 2pm and it's a round of free golf.

Your handicap is irrelevant.

Conditions:
    Must be available to play and be at the course, outside Aughrim, on time.
    No Macreddin members please - I'm looking for golfers who have not had the privilege of playing the venue before, or have played it only a couple of times (e.g. last year's Boards outing).
    Must be prepared to spend half an hour in the bar afterwards!

If you can make the tee time for sure, then reply to this Thread and three names will be picked on Wednesday lunch time.

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

three lads from Cork would love to play the course! Much obliged Kevin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Another kind offer Kevin-keeping my eyes peeled for when you decide you need second opinions on Portmarnock or Old Head :D But also for a date that suits. Thanks again for the last few invites, good luck to all eligable candidates!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Would love to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

How come all these are on days i can't play.
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thinks too much

once again a very geneorous offer...put my name in the hat please

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Once again Kevin fair play but I've played it a lot so I'll opt out and give someone else a chance to play 

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Gmpd

Fair play on another great offer Kevin.. Sure I'll stick my name in the hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

sure stick me in the mix again please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

mike12 wrote: »
    How come all these are on days i can't play.
    Mike

I check your diary, mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

Great offer again to play a super course.... Make sure you are in full health though ;).

Playing the Majors Tour in Carton House and have played it a few times so won't be putting myself forward!

Enjoy :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Great offer for a course that's still on my yet to play list but unfortunately can't take this Fri off work so will have to opt out. Enjoy the day out all.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

I'll play! Pick me pick me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 frost53

Played there two weeks ago... An impressive course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

fair play to for this and it is great for the boards members as am sure most like me love reading the opinions of the different lads and how they get on

unfortunetly I can put my name in the hat for as I am away the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Kevin, I'd love the opportunity to play. I can push my attendance at the bar to 90minutes?

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭george67

Will you be using buggies? I hear it is quite a hard track on the trolley battery

george67 wrote: »
    Will you be using buggies? I hear it is quite a hard track on the trolley battery

Hasn't been confirmed - but I imagine David will arrange them for us. If not, I'll stump up for buggies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Buggies take so much away from a round and should only be used if you've a medical condition requiring one. You don't get to walk the course and fully experience or appreciate it's condition and views. The game becomes more like playing in a simulator where you hit a shot, the page reloads and you're delivered to your ball to take your next stroke. By walking the course you're at least getting some exercise and an opportunity to step out yardages from distance markers as you pass.

I've heard Macreddin can be a bit hilly but surely it's manageable with modern electric/push trollies and lightweight carry bags? Buggies are not customary on Irish courses and this is a trait that's worth supporting and continuing with as subsequent additions are likely to include the cooler full of beer.

You certainly have never played Macreddin! Wonderful course with incredible views even in a buggy. Great elevation drops and good walks to the tee boxes from greens.

Wouldn't even consider playing the course without a buggy as you be out there maybe 5.5hours i reckon walking it and would be very tired througout the back nine.

A must play course though and fantastic green fee rates too.

Buggies take so much away from a round and should only be used if you've a medical condition requiring one. You don't get to walk the course and fully experience or appreciate it's condition and views. The game becomes more like playing in a simulator where you hit a shot, the page reloads and you're delivered to your ball to take your next stroke. By walking the course you're at least getting some exercise and an opportunity to step out yardages from distance markers as you pass.

I've heard Macreddin can be a bit hilly but surely it's manageable with modern electric/push trollies and lightweight carry bags? Buggies are not customary on Irish courses and this is a trait that's worth supporting and continuing with as subsequent additions are likely to include the cooler full of beer.

I agree entirely, and the selected golfers will be routinely kicked out of the buggies and made to walk different holes to give them a feel for the place

• Advertisement

Good stuff add me to the mix then I hear its a smashing course.
    Thanks

Whyner wrote: »
    Would love to
    BUACHAILL wrote: »
    sure stick me in the mix again please
    IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    Kevin, I'd love the opportunity to play. I can push my attendance at the bar to 90minutes?

Lads, you're up. Our tee time is 2pm. I'll aim to get there about 1.30pm. Can you please PM me or leave a message here to confirm you're good to play.

FYI, if you're approaching the hotel from Aughrim, the car park is on the right, just after the bridge

congrats lads! gutted i didn't get to make the trip from cork but I'm sure ye'll enjoy it anyway. Thanks Kevin. Are you ever coming down south?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Gmpd

Well done to the lads picked.. Hope the weather holds up..

bailey99 wrote: »
    congrats lads! gutted i didn't get to make the trip from cork but I'm sure ye'll enjoy it anyway. Thanks Kevin. Are you ever coming down south?!!!

Yep, at some stage. Hoping to get a few more of these under my belt, then I'm going to target Old Head, Fota, Castlemartyr or Cork.
    Would Killarney be too far for you Cork boys?

Yep, at some stage. Hoping to get a few more of these under my belt, then I'm going to target Old Head, Fota, Castlemartyr or Cork.
    Would Killarney be too far for you Cork boys?

Macreddin wasn't going to be too far at all for us to travel so Killarney wouldn't be a problem either. Would love a chance to play Old Head. Fota, Castlemartyr, Cork all great tracks as well. Enjoy the round Kevin!

Gmpd wrote: »
    Well done to the lads picked.. Hope the weather holds up..
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Great stuff Kevin thanks a mill, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    Great stuff Kevin thanks a mill, looking forward to it.

Me too, must hit the range tomorrow and practice my provisional...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Yep, can't wait. Thanks Kevin.

Advertisement