Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historical query: Kavanagh's or Cavenagh's Land

Options
  • 25-06-2012 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here with a local history bent, know where a townland or place called 'Cavenagh's Land' or 'Kavanagh's Land' might be in relation to Wexford. It was/is probably somewhere in the region between Gorey and Enniscorthy, judging from related material.

Now I know that large parts of Carlow/ Wexford were Kavanagh territory but I've come across records in the 1790's for a specific place called 'Cavenagh's Land' in the above district, so I think it must refer to a specific locality. Any ideas?? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭acein1

hi i know that there is a annual gathering of "kavanagh,s" in FERNS so maby someone else can add more info

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

If you want info on the Kavanagh's history , you could email info@borrishouse.com

http://www.borrishouse.com/mcmorrough_kavanaghs.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Missent

BarryD

According to the "Wexford Gentry", the Kavanaghs had over 5,000 acres in Co. Wexford in 1818 when Thomas Kavanagh inherited the estate. He also succeeded to 23,000 further acres in Cos. Carlow and Kilkenny.

The main area associated with the Kavanaghs in Co. Wexford was the White Mountain area near the Carlow border which was the subject of a fierce legal dispute with, I think, the Bruens of Carlow and in which Daniel O'Connell acted as a barrister. The case eventually ended up in the House of Lords and cost the Kavanaghs a great deal of money.

There isn't a townland in Wexford called Kavanaghs Land. The nearest is "Kavanaghspark" which is in the Barony of Shelmaliere East which would put it somewhere north of Wexford town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Thanks for your suggestions - Borris House would be on the other side of the hills but worth a try perhaps. I have read parts of 'In the shadow of Mount Leinster' by Art Kavanagh which covers the territory up to the 1600's, so I'm aware of the complex changes in land ownership that occurred.

The reference I have to a place called Cavenagh's Land, Cavanagh's Land etc., does seem to point to a specific place though - in one instance, it's mentioned in a will and in another as part of a claim for damages following 1798. As in ' so and so of Monart.... and so and so of Cavenagh's Land' etc. The people referred to were smallish farmers, so it looks like it was a recognised place then?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Missent

BarryD

Your description would suggest that the farmers concerned are almost certainly tenants of the Kavanaghs. As a longshot, I would suggest getting a list of all claimants from the 1798 Rebellion who have given an address of Kavanagh's Land. I would then compare the list to those named as Tithe Defaulters in the 1830s which is also available. An unusual surname or group of names might give a match and provide an indication as to where in Co. Wexford the families actually lived. I have the latter on CD and Kavanagh's Land doesn't appear to be mentioned as an address.

From a quick search, the only papers I can find on the White Mountain dispute are found in the Chief Secretary's Office Papers in the National Archives. It is a petition and accompanying letter from Thomas Kavanagh in 1818/9 regarding the 1400 acres he owns on the White Mountain. (The ref. number is CSO/RP/1819/512).

(Sorry - not able to post link but easily found on Google)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Thanks Missent, those are useful hints and I'll follow up. I wouldn't rule out your suggestion of Kavanaghspark either, this is a bit further south that I would expect but a possibility. I don't think the place referred to was up in the White Mountain district but some of these people also lived near Templeshanbo, I wonder did Kavanagh's let land there. Maybe I should look at Griffiths Valuation for people in that area. Thanks again.

Advertisement