Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A New Venue In Dublin?

Options
  • 25-06-2012 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Do You Think That We need A Venue That Has A Capacity Of About 5,000 For Bands That Are Too Big For THe Olympia And Too Small or The o2?
    If No Tell Me Why!

Do We Need A New Venue? 53 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 53 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I think there was plans to build a little 02, like the indig02 at the london 02, beside the Dublin 02. But, it's not really a great time to go building music venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Just re-open the ambassador for gigs.

Problem solved.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Just re-open the ambassador for gigs.

Problem solved.

Still too small though , think capacity was 2000 . We really need a place like Brixton Academy size or roundabout , personally the RDS would be perfect if they put money into it and made it a good venue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I remember reading that MCD were looking into a "medium-sized" concert venue in Citywest. I haven't heard anything about that since. We do have the Grand Canal Theatre but you can't remove the seats in that venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

what does the helix hold? was there yesterday with the seats removed and it seemed at least as big as the ambassador

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

JJ wrote: »
    I remember reading that MCD were looking into a "medium-sized" concert venue in Citywest. I haven't heard anything about that since. We do have the Grand Canal Theatre but you can't remove the seats in that venue.

Grand Canal is still 2,000 so wouldn't be big enough for a medium-sized venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

If it didn't happen in the good times I don't see it happening now. The O2 should offer some sort of cut rate half capacity mode for promoters. It isn't exactly used all that much. Also the Ambassador had awful sound. It should be demolished before someone gets the idea of reopening it. Look what happened when we lost Crawdaddy/Tripod... The Village started being used for gigs again... truly the worst thing to happen as a result of the recession so far.

Toast wrote: »
    If it didn't happen in the good times I don't see it happening now. The O2 should offer some sort of cut rate half capacity mode for promoters. It isn't exactly used all that much. Also the Ambassador had awful sound. It should be demolished before someone gets the idea of reopening it. Look what happened when we lost Crawdaddy/Tripod... The Village started being used for gigs again... truly the worst thing to happen as a result of the recession so far.

Yea the fact the O2 can be cut off it could be used . E.g say if a band want to use it for all standing they could just open up the floor and totally cut off the seating in the upper levels

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Look what happened when we lost Crawdaddy/Tripod.

Are they gone??:eek:

Grid. wrote: »
    Are they gone??:eek:

Yup gone since Feb of this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Definitely. I don't know why the RDS isn't used more often for gigs. The Main Hall holds up to 5,000 (I saw Fall Out Boy there in 2008, the sound wasn't the best, but I'd rather see a band with average sound than not at all!) and Simmonscourt holds around 7,000. I guess it's often booked up for exams and exhibitions and the like. Some gigs in the O2 have had terrible turnouts (30 Seconds to Mars was only 4,000 and MCR was 6,000, even though it holds 14,000!), they could have been held in one of the R.D.S. halls instead.

But there's still a big gap between 7,000 and 14,000...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

But there's still a big gap between 7,000 and 14,000...

I don't think we need another venue that size at all. The O2 is more than adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

I've never been to music in the RDS, but isn't it awful? I'd always heard that it was a terrible venue.

In an ideal world we'd have something with a capacity of around 4-5k, but that's just not going to happen at the moment. It needs to be central, so the idea of MCD taking over and using the Conference Centre in Citywest isn't a goer, at all. Down by the o2 is the only real place it could go, but if that hasn't happened by now, it's not going to happen.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I'm not a fan of massive venues really. Much prefer gigs in the small to medium range. Was at the O2 for the Gorillaz, never again. Place had no character or any kind of soul whatever. Some of the staff were so anal about petty rules that they literally sucked the fun out of the gig.
    Button Factory/The Village/Andrew's Lane/Tivoli size venues are best for the type of gigs I like to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Probably isn't that big of a need for it because the O2 can be changed so much. Optimum standing, theater setting, balconies closed off etc. Can be made to suit many sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I've never been to music in the RDS, but isn't it awful? I'd always heard that it was a terrible venue.

There are so many different halls, it might depend on which one you're in. I've only been to Main Hall for gigs. Like I said, it wasn't the best sound ever - but if it's a choice between not seeing a band because there's no suitable-sized venue or seeing them there, I'll take the latter!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

saw the beastie boys/jon spencer blues explosion in rds main hall in 94 I think. fuppin great!
    I haven't been to a gig in o2 yet and dont intend to...intimate or outdoors for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jimmy_presley

Went to see Korn / Puddle of Mudd in the RDS back in maybe 2004?? or 2005?? could be wrong on the dates but the sound was pure ****e. Only for the crowd was so amazing and the bands full of energy it would have been a disaster.

Plus, the place is such a kip it's almost indescribable. Health & safety probably shut it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Went to see Korn / Puddle of Mudd in the RDS back in maybe 2004?? or 2005?? could be wrong on the dates but the sound was pure ****e. Only for the crowd was so amazing and the bands full of energy it would have been a disaster.

Plus, the place is such a kip it's almost indescribable. Health & safety probably shut it down.

That was 2002.

Beekay wrote: »
    That was 2002.

Wow, 2002?? I was only 23 and remember thinking, along with my mate the same age, "how old are WE!" looking at the 16 to 20 year olds running around the place!

As i sit here now age 35, I feel proper old haha. Then again, in another 14 years i'll think 35 was young!

They were good times when people clapped more and paid more attention compared to everyone nowadays when every second person is trying to record the band and take pictures with their phones or worse still update there status on facebook!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

There was no booze sold at that gig. Might have had something to do with people paying more attention.

Toast wrote: »
    There was no booze sold at that gig. Might have had something to do with people paying more attention.

Jeez can't remember, just from what i do remember the crowd were nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

We've needed a 3-5000 cap venue here for the last 20yrs, we've also been promised one for the last 20yrs - by the same person that says we really really need one and never does it...........yes the O2 is easily adaptable and has many configuration options - but can be to the detriment of the show..........and certain bands just don't make sense to add to a venue like that.....

I don't see it being built but you never know......there's plenty of bands that in their own head believe they could sell out the O2 but a promoter wouldn't take a risk on it where they could put them in a smaller venue and make it work.....

Mr.S wrote: »
    What ever happened to that MCD venue in City West?

Nothing by the sounds of it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭paulbok

A Citywest venue is a bad location, poor transport links and it would put people off going to it. I know the luas goes there but that can't handle the crowds leaving after a gig, it's bad enough from the point when 3/4 of the crowd would be driving or walking to/from it.
    It needs to be relatively central in the city.

Never been to a gig inside the RDS itself, but the Simmonscourt pavillion is terrible for sound, it's like playing in a hayshed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

I remember been at Deadmau5 for a gig,Last year i think and it was in simonscourt,Was a great gig but what ever it was the sound seemed to bounce of the backwall, Better at the front. Another crap thing was you couldn't bring your drinks in the music area at all, You had to drink it in the side room. That was an absolute shambles!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

If the Luas can handle a capacity crowd at The O2, it can surely handle a crowd at a medium sized venue in Citywest. I realise that not everyone takes the Luas to and from The O2 but if only half the crowd did, it probably be more people than a capacity crowd at a medium sized venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

paulbok wrote: »
    Never been to a gig inside the RDS itself, but the Simmonscourt pavillion is terrible for sound, it's like playing in a hayshed.
    Was at My Chemical Romance inside the RDS a few years ago (don't judge me I was only young!) - sound was muddy from what I recall, very disappointed at the time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

just have double dates in olympia, city west is a kip of an area and luas wouldnt be able to support the crowd, many walk from 02, wont be from city west

• Advertisement

just have double dates in olympia, city west is a kip of an area and luas wouldnt be able to support the crowd, many walk from 02, wont be from city west

If you are driving it would'nt be to hard to get to and the luas/bus will be able to handle it . It would be cheaper for the bands just to do 1 show in a bigger venue then 2 nights in a smaller venue like the Olympia

Advertisement