Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A New Venue In Dublin?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

If you are driving it would'nt be to hard to get to and the luas/bus will be able to handle it . It would be cheaper for the bands just to do 1 show in a bigger venue then 2 nights in a smaller venue like the Olympia

The Luas only run a shuttle from Saggart (Citywest) to Belgard in the evenings and weekends. Everyone would have to change at Belgard, which is a centred platform (meaning there's nowhere to queue) and which was packed beyond belief during the weekends of the All-Ireland finals. A large crowd coming from Citywest would be difficult to accommodate there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

please set up a new arena!!!

you play dublin as a starter in the academy then go to the olympia then you have to go to the o2

its sooooo annoying!

look at the luminars kodaline, just wouldnt pay to see them in the o2 YET!!

im sure crawdaddy/tripod reframped could do the job!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

but1er wrote: »
    look at the luminars kodaline, just wouldnt pay to see them in the o2 YET!!
    !

wouldnt pay to see anyone in the O2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

just have double dates in olympia, city west is a kip of an area and luas wouldnt be able to support the crowd, many walk from 02, wont be from city west

Pretty harsh to call city west a kip, it's about a venue not the area itself, I would agree it's not a great place to have a venue though. Too far out.

Dublin has a weird mish mash of venues, from the O2 to The Olympia (my favourite) to everything in between, I think the smaller venues are what make Dublin a great city for seeing bands, unless you don't get tickets :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

but1er wrote: »
    you play dublin as a starter in the academy then go to the olympia then you have to go to the o2
    Or you can play multiple nights. I remember REM did 5 nights in the olympia in 07.

I would not like city west, I don't see it comparable to the O2. If there was some problem with the luas or bus you might be stranded. I never get the luas to the O2, its a grand stroll with a few stopoffs for pints on the way if you want, safe in the knowledge its just a stroll away back to town with rakes of pubs & eateries.

City west would be more of an ordeal of a trip to me, I enjoy an excuse to go into town, gigs being the main reason I bother going in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

rubadub wrote: »
    Or you can play multiple nights. I remember REM did 5 nights in the olympia in 07.

I would not like city west, I don't see it comparable to the O2. If there was some problem with the luas or bus you might be stranded. I never get the luas to the O2, its a grand stroll with a few stopoffs for pints on the way if you want, safe in the knowledge its just a stroll away back to town with rakes of pubs & eateries.

City west would be more of an ordeal of a trip to me, I enjoy an excuse to go into town, gigs being the main reason I bother going in.

The REM gigs were rehearsals and marked as such. AS in trying out new material and playing really old songs for fun. Went 2 nights of it and was brilliant for what it was, but if it was meant to be a 'proper' REM gig i'd have been annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

rubadub wrote: »

Then the promoter would have to pay the band for multiple dates. It's not a logical option.

A venue of around 3-5k would be great, but it's just not going to happen at the minute, I'd imagine. Nobody's building anything like that until there's more money around. We're lucky we got the o2 when we did, it wouldn't happen now.

Does Dublin have the space for a 3-5k type venue and being in the city centre itself, I don't think so. In fairness Dublin is not lacking in music venues regardless of what people think of said venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

LOTD wrote: »
    Does Dublin have the space for a 3-5k type venue and being in the city centre itself, I don't think so. In fairness Dublin is not lacking in music venues regardless of what people think of said venue.

Dublin's not lacking in venues in general, no. It IS lacking a good mid-sized venue though. We jump straight from 1500 to 14000 with practically nothing in between, meaning some bands who could sell 5000 (eg Fall Out Boy) end up only playing to 1500 in The Olympia, others (eg 30 Seconds to Mars) end up playing a near-empty O2 and others still just don't come here at all. If such a venue existed, it would certainly be in regular use... (and, in an ideal world, ticket prices could be cheaper as it'd be easier to turn a profit).

Dublin's not lacking in venues in general, no. It IS lacking a good mid-sized venue though. We jump straight from 1500 to 14000 with practically nothing in between, meaning some bands who could sell 5000 (eg Fall Out Boy) end up only playing to 1500 in The Olympia, others (eg 30 Seconds to Mars) end up playing a near-empty O2 and others still just don't come here at all. If such a venue existed, it would certainly be in regular use... (and, in an ideal world, ticket prices could be cheaper as it'd be easier to turn a profit).

Fair point I've taught this about Dublin's music venues, it needs a in-between from Vicar st to the O2.
    Where does it go because the general consensus suggest seems to be that people want it in a central location, I can't think of many place in city centre Dublin where a venue like that could be build.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Fair point I've taught this about Dublin's music venues, it needs a in-between from Vicar st to the O2.
    Where does it go because the general consensus suggest seems to be that people want it in a central location, I can't think of many place in city centre Dublin where a venue like that could be build.

would a venue that size really be justified is the real issue, the O2 has dropped last few years in gigs, used to work the venue stage crew and it really died out work wise, maybe its picked up again but accross the board tours have dropped in recent years. especially this time of year

would a venue that size really be justified is the real issue, the O2 has dropped last few years in gigs, used to work the venue stage crew and it really died out work wise, maybe its picked up again but accross the board tours have dropped in recent years. especially this time of year

I think it would be overkill to be honest. Dublin has never had a venue that size. If it were to happen, reopen Tripod, into maybe just one larger venue if that's possible.

When you say the 02 has dropped gigs, is it because bands couldn't sellout the 02 and were too big to play a place like Vicar st, it didn't make financial sense coming to Dublin.

I think it would be overkill to be honest. Dublin has never had a venue that size. If it were to happen, reopen Tripod, into maybe just one larger venue if that's possible.

When you say the 02 has dropped gigs, is it because bands couldn't sellout the 02 and were too big to play a place like Vicar st, it didn't make financial sense coming to Dublin.

i just know a few years ago maybe 3, it wasnt as busy as it was previous years, wasnt alot of gigs going on especially this season, which is when you notice the most in that game, as no summer fests or winter xmas events.

from speaking to artists where i have gone to belfast to see due to no dublin dates, the reasons given to me were the costs playing gigs in dublin are far too high to justify it, well this was for smaller venues than o2, academy/olympia size

i just know a few years ago maybe 3, it wasnt as busy as it was previous years, wasnt alot of gigs going on especially this season, which is when you notice the most in that game, as no summer fests or winter xmas events.

from speaking to artists where i have gone to belfast to see due to no dublin dates, the reasons given to me were the costs playing gigs in dublin are far too high to justify it, well this was for smaller venues than o2, academy/olympia size

I would have taught Dublin has a better range of venues than Belfast, is it just cost alone that is making unattractive for bands to go.

I would have taught Dublin has a better range of venues than Belfast, is it just cost alone that is making unattractive for bands to go.

cost alone

Mr.S wrote: »
    Logistics is the problem. To play Ireland you need to take ferries, then to make it worth while you'll need to play 2 or 3 dates, so Belfast, Dublin. Cork or Galway at a push but thats rare.

What we need is a solid 3-5k venue that can double up as something else like a Theatre, event space etc as solely relying on live gigs will see it unused quite a bit.

Yes, the o2 can block off the tiers and have a reduced standing area to have total compacity of around 5-7k but the atmosphere is awful.

I reckon building a new venue is out of question, if the old tripod is not being used maybe try making it into one larger venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

There are probably fire code issues with having X amount of people in a space. My basic understanding is you need to be able to get everyone out safely within X amount of time which means it is not just a case of adding extra doors but doors that are easily accessible. That's major structural changes to existing buildings. It also means any building that they'd want for the task would need to probably be free standing on at least 3 sides with assembly space which reduces the candidates in the city center significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

loads of disused spaces to the north/east of Jervis St., towards Smithfield/Stoneybatter etc.
    some out to the south-east of Dame St., towards James' Hospital/Kilmainham etc.
    both of those general areas are the same distance to Central Bank as the O2 is...
    granted, not bang in the middle of the city centre, but a 15-20min walk, with Luas line close-by for people that have issues with the walk....

loads of disused spaces to the north/east of Jervis St., towards Smithfield/Stoneybatter etc.
    some out to the south-east of Dame St., towards James' Hospital/Kilmainham etc.
    both of those general areas are the same distance to Central Bank as the O2 is...
    granted, not bang in the middle of the city centre, but a 15-20min walk, with Luas line close-by for people that have issues with the walk....

Yeah there are a load of disused spaces, but turning them into concert venues is another thing and also could they fit 3-5 people I wouldn't be so sure.

I'm not sure a venue that size could fit in Dublin City Centre, given all the logistics that would go with it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

If the put money into the RDS Simmonscourt or something then it would be perfect imo , easy to get too with a bus or even if its a dry day you can walk from town

• Advertisement

If the put money into the RDS Simmonscourt or something then it would be perfect imo , easy to get too with a bus or even if its a dry day you can walk from town

RDS is a pretty closed shop, Leinster are paying ridiculous money to play there. Maybe soup up the old Bective grounds for an outdoor arena/ playing pitch could be a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Don't see how Tripod would work. Yes, there were three venues there, but wasn't Tripod directly above Crawdaddy/Pod? If so, that would mean no room to expand it out without incorporating The Odeon, which seems to be doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭callmepetardu

There'd be no point closing off the seating in the 02. The standing is massive, and even if you're at a 'smaller' gig, there'd have to be some sort of small seating for those who do sit at gigs. The likes of the Village, the Button Factory etc get away with it because there's couches and the likes...

But yeah, a venue that holds about 7,000 would be ideal. The Olympia, The Academy and Vicar Street are all so similar, and as far as I know, so is the Button Factory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

i would like a new venue in dublin, i think we need it bad , sick of most places around !! too small or else too big!!

im not into the idea of trekking out to city west from blanch for a gig(if you dont drive) i would rather a new venue more central to town or accessable by transport like the 02! im into the idea of re-doing simmmons court , that would be ideal but i doubt thats going to happen ,its a pint in arse to get to doe i always hated going to gigs there in rds :mad: iv also been told by lads in bands that it is expensive to play here and thats why most bands/booking agents dont play dublin , which is think is fcukin ridiculous, why is the price so high?? i miss the ambassador but thats still too small, hate the village and lately it has turned into a cess pit for house loving twats ,dont like the academy ,feels too small, but great for intimate shows , i dont like the olympia either hate the standing there , fcukin annoys me :mad:

to me it seems we have all these venues that were theatres,clubs and bars that were tunred into a venue for live music acts and we use it just because its there! i would like a venue that is specifically made for live events for bands/artist to the highest potential the get the "best live experience"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Why would they put money into it, when they make a ton with all the exhibitions and stuff it has during the year. Its a business, they thought they could make more money as a music venue, it would be a music venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 bobsnob

**** dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

bobsnob wrote: »
    **** dublin

Very good

Advertisement