Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Generic battery for Macbook, early 2009

• 25-06-2012 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have already searched through the forum for this topic, but all relevant threads were two years out of date. Anyway, the battery in my early 2009 model Macbook has reached 310 cycles out of the average 300 and the battery is dead (the machine turns off spontaneously and I'm running off the power adaptor right now). I'm very tight on finances at the moment, so I'm asking if anyone has any experience on buying a generic non-branded Macbook battery. I've been looking at some on eBay. I already use a generic charger, my other one having died in Feb of this year. The reviews for the official Macbook charger seem average at best, and I don't know whether I would be better off buying a generic one.

I'm not sure if I could post links here - but if anyone has any experience of using generic batteries any info or advice would be most appreciated. I've heard horror stories about cheap batteries melting the insides of the machine - so I'd rather save for the real thing than have to purchase a whole new laptop (esp considering you can only buy macbook air or pros now).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

First of all, Macbook batteries should easily surpass 300 cycles. I'm guessing that the replacement generic charger you bought actually killed the existing battery. Wrong voltage/ wattage maybe. I'd say a generic battery would do you, it's only in very rare conditions that batteries melt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

First of all, Macbook batteries should easily surpass 300 cycles. I'm guessing that the replacement generic charger you bought actually killed the existing battery. Wrong voltage/ wattage maybe. I'd say a generic battery would do you, it's only in very rare conditions that batteries melt

Yes, I thought as much, so now I'm in the position of trying to decide whether or not to buy a battery and charger - I'd rather spend the money on these and get another 2-3 years out of my machine than risk being in the minority that melts my macbooks insides!

The tired sounding guy on apple support suggested i buy batteries from eBay so I don't know if that was an endorsement for generic batteries.

When I go about buying new battery & charger - how do I know what wattage is right for my battery? There's about 3 different types.

Is your Macbook one of the white unibodies? the one seen in this video?

Do you know what the Wattage was on your last charger? It'd also be best to open your laptop and read the specs from the battery and buy the exact same but in a generic form

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Got my macbook checked in apple shop in Marbella, as i thought charger was giving trouble. It got a clean bill of health though i do need a battery its done 1352 charge cycles Genius gay says i should frame it :D the battery its Core 2 duo macbook Late 2006/7. So if anyone any ideas or recommend some where please:D
    Thanks

Is your Macbook one of the white unibodies? the one seen in this video?

Do you know what the Wattage was on your last charger? It'd also be best to open your laptop and read the specs from the battery and buy the exact same but in a generic form

No, I have this one.

How can I know what wattage charger to buy?

• Advertisement

Well, do you have any of the original packaging? Or do you still have the original charger so you can read the specs off that?

EDIT: From reading tech specs online for that model, you'll need a 60W charger.

Well, do you have any of the original packaging? Or do you still have the original charger so you can read the specs off that?

EDIT: From reading tech specs online for that model, you'll need a 60W charger.

The last charger I bought was a 60W, so I think I'll fork the Apple branded one, despite the horrendous reviews - because at least I have a years warranty.

The last charger I bought was a 60W, so I think I'll fork the Apple branded one, despite the horrendous reviews - because at least I have a years warranty.

Ya, a wise choice. At least it'll give peace of mind

Advertisement