Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property prices are on the way back up!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Latenia sounds a tad agrieved tbh (which is understandable given how the economic cycle has affected some folk),
    He/she clearly does not have a sound grasp of the subject.
    i recommend he/she educates him/herself.
    he could start with a book by Bob Brenner titled "The Boom and the Bubble". The author details exactly how a boom becomes a bubble.
    You seem to be dodging the question as to why the ECB is going to suddenly gift cash to Irish mortgage banks. This ridiculous idea underpins your theory that prices are going to suddenly shoot up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Latenia sounds a tad agrieved tbh (which is understandable given how the economic cycle has affected some folk),
    he could start with a book by Bob Brenner titled "The Boom and the Bubble". The author details exactly how a boom becomes a bubble.

If I'm 'aggrieved' about some imaginary financial loss on property then why would I be on here stating that house prices are still overvalued? Surely I'd be talking up the market. The fact is I'm still waiting to buy, even though I could do so tomorrow if I wished. When each passing 6 months gets me a bigger house or a better area I'm in no rush.
    The boom from about 1994-1999 resulting from FDI and demographics was almost entirely separate from the bubble of 2000-2007 which was caused by poor monetary policy here and abroad, amongst other factors.
    This crash hasn't even begun to get nasty yet-I fully expect a minimum of a further 50% drop, probably a lot more.

latenia wrote: »
    This crash hasn't even begun to get nasty yet-I fully expect a minimum of a further 50% drop, probably a lot more.
    I can see Sinn Fein getting in government some time in the next 2 or 3 years. Things are really going to get exciting then.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,475 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Another 50% is probably ott imo.

I do think it's got a way to go to.

50% would be lovely though over the next 5 years. Buy a house with cash and no mortgage!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

The boom from about 1994-1999 resulting from FDI and demographics was almost entirely separate from the bubble of 2000-2007 which was caused by poor monetary policy here and abroad, amongst other factors.
    well at least you agree we did have a property boom, which was followed by a bubble which led to the inevitable burst.

well given these daft expectations, i fully understand why you are reacting so badly to news that indicates a tentative recovery.:D

• Advertisement

well given these daft expectations, i fully understand why you are reacting so badly to news that indicates a tentative recovery.:D
    Any chance you will address the questions about your claims that the ECB is about to hand a load of cash to Irish banks for some reason?

Without explaining where Irish people will borrow hundreds of thousands to buy houses, your argument turns to ashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Villa05

With over 1,500 potential house buyers leaving the country every week, I see no upsurge in prices.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0927/rising-emigration-slows-population-growth-business.html

The recovery is happening - Prices are falling! Of course no asset price correction occurs in a straight line, there will always be a few bumps on the way down

Villa05 wrote: »
    With over 1,500 potential house buyers leaving the country every week, I see no upsurge in prices.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0927/rising-emigration-slows-population-growth-business.html

The recovery is happening - Prices are falling! Of course no asset price correction occurs in a straight line, there will always be a few bumps on the way down

Again you are making false assumptions in support of your "argument".
    a sizable percentage of those leaving will return.
    it is wrong to assume all of these people are potential house buyers. many of these already own houses here. many men will be leaving families behind, and only emigrating in order to pay their mortgage & bills.
    some of those leaving might even return having accumulated cash and decide to buy.

some of those leaving might even return having accumulated cash and decide to buy.
    They are going to need cash as the Irish banks have nothing to lend...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

A further 50% drop from here!!!!

Your argument has lost credibility. I think that bear pit is way too deep and lonely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Villa05

tick tock tick........
    Some 22pc of the total number of buy-to-let mortgages are three months or more in arrears across all lenders in the market, the Irish Independent has learned. The initial trawl through the investor mortgages of all lenders also indicates that there are around 200,000 buy-to-let mortgage accounts.

Some people have multiple investor mortgages.

How many are interest only and will fail once capital repayments are required.

The tsunami of repossessions cannot be held back forever!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

well at least you agree we did have a property boom, which was followed by a bubble which led to the inevitable burst.

Where did I say there was "a property boom?" There was a tech and pharma boom. You're so delusional you're seeing what you want to see. Prices haven't even corrected to their norms yet let alone crashed below that point and that's before taking into account a destroyed economy. And what news are you talking about? What "tentative recovery?" You're delusional.

it's a sad fact, but if those who are leaving are not economically productive, on the rock 'n roll and as such are a burden on the state, then Joan Burton's Dept. will somewhat relieved.

i remember the 80's emigration when many of those people (myself included) got valuable experience abroad, returned home in the 90s and contributed to the Celtic Tiger Boom.

in ways this country has reverted to the 80's. i can feel a SelfAid concert coming on .............

http://youtu.be/_3Rx9p4D8vw

in ways this country has reverted to the 80's. i can feel a SelfAid concert coming on .............
    Yes...economic stagnation. Declining productive population. Credit crunch. Plus crippling personal debt that we didn't have in the 80s.

It makes your claims that prices are about to shoot up look a tad...silly.

By the way, why do you think the ECB is about to gift billions to the Irish mortgage banks? You seem to not want to address this question - I've asked four times now.

A further 50% drop from here!!!!

Your argument has lost credibility. I think that bear pit is way too deep and lonely.

Grrrr!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys, I am 'this' close to closing this thread.
    If you want to continue an intelligent debate, read the forum charter, and abide by it.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Yes...economic stagnation. Declining productive population. Credit crunch. Plus crippling personal debt that we didn't have in the 80s.

It makes your claims that prices are about to shoot up look a tad...silly.
    But we are not in stagnation, nor are we losing productivity.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2012/08/ireland

But we are not in stagnation, nor are we losing productivity.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2012/08/ireland
    We are stagnating, and we are losing productive people. You understand what transfer pricing is?

a return to the 80's eh?

• lower labour costs
    • flexible labour market
    • increasing FDI
    • good music
    • Govt implementing a program of austerity (i like austerity).
    • renewed emphasis on education
    • increasing competitiveness
    • lower commercial rents

perfect terroir to sow the seeds of another BOOM.:D

a return to the 80's eh?

• lower labour costs
    • flexible labour market
    • increasing FDI
    • good music
    • Govt implementing a program of austerity (i like austerity).
    • renewed emphasis on education
    • increasing competitiveness
    • lower commercial rents

perfect terroir to sow the seeds of another BOOM.:D
    Can you cite evidence for any of these points beyond the music?

Can you address why you think the ECB is suddenly going to hand money to Irish mortgage banks?

• Advertisement

Can you cite evidence for any of these points beyond the music?

Can you address why you think the ECB is suddenly going to hand money to Irish mortgage banks?

this clearly demonstrates why!

I'm sorry to say that's actually the most convincing argument you have managed. And it's not all that convincing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

You seem to be dodging the question as to why the ECB is going to suddenly gift cash to Irish mortgage banks. This ridiculous idea underpins your theory that prices are going to suddenly shoot up.
    Goodie2 has dodged every question since the start of this thread.

Goodie2 has dodged every question since the start of this thread.

the reason i've not answered Monty's question is because I didn't feel it was worthy of dealing with tbh. anyone who keeps themselves abreast of these matters (apart from Lord Ross of Wickla & Monty) would not repeatedly ask such a question imo.

please read this article and inform yourself.:D

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=143620

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0927/germany-ratifies-eu-bailout-fund-treaty-business.html

the reason i've not answered Monty's question is because I didn't feel it was worthy of dealing with tbh. anyone who keeps themselves abreast of these matters (apart from Lord Ross of Wickla & Monty) would not repeatedly ask such a question imo.

please read this article and inform yourself.:D

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=143620

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0927/germany-ratifies-eu-bailout-fund-treaty-business.html
    And in what part of that agreement was there ANY suggestion that Irish mortgage banks would be gifted billions of euros to lend? Do you know what the ESM is for at all?

Did you even read those news reports? :confused:

And even if the ESM had anything to do with gifting billions to the mortgage banks (it doesn't), it's looking ropey as to whether it can be applied to the Anglo promissory notes too.

And in what part of that agreement was there ANY suggestion that Irish mortgage banks would be gifted billions of euros to lend? Do you know what the ESM is for at all?

Did you even read those news reports? :confused:

And even if the ESM had anything to do with gifting billions to the mortgage banks (it doesn't), it's looking ropey as to whether it can be applied to the Anglo promissory notes too.

it's called a BAILOUT or RESCUE fund.
    there's a wee hint in there if you look closely.:rolleyes:

it's called a BAILOUT or RESCUE fund.
    there's a wee hint in there if you look closely.:rolleyes:
    So you don't know what the ESM is for? Ok, that explains a lot. Perhaps you need to read beyond the headlines.

So: evidence you have provided for billions of euros being gifted to Irish mortgage banks = ZERO.

Perhaps you should go back to posting cartoons?

For the love of Jasus.

here is the EU summit press release,

"When an effective single supervisory mechanism is established, involving the ECB, for banks in the euro area the ESM could, following a regular decision, have the possibility to recapitalize banks directly. This would rely on appropriate conditionality, including compliance with state aid rules, which should be institution- specific, sector-specific or economy-wide and would be formalised in a Memorandum of Understanding. "

Nobody said the Northern countries were gonna sign a blank cheque. I mean how could you possibly expect Merkel to agree to that ffs!!!?
    Do you have any concept of how real-politics actually operates?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

You do realize that there is a lot of people in mortgage arrears, negative equity, unemployed and falling income. Recapitalization of banks (this is not for retail banks) will not have any immediate effect on the housing prices.

The very real reason for that is that house prices follow income multiples (and thereby generally inflation) of around 2x-2.5x single income over historic average. As this is under serious pressure right now, there is nothing on the immediate horizon that will change that.

Also - there is no chance that credit flood gates will be opened exactly because of risk (income multiple is a way to calculate risk - this wont go up to 7-8x like before, nevermind just to 4).

Recapitalization is not free money, just so you know. Its charged with interest, and its sole purpose is to provide emergency liquidity to outstanding liabilities - such as write downs and roll over of bank debt. This is to prevent a collapse of a bank, not to make it suddenly all healthy and lending. Its a sign of a deep crisis that this needs to be done in the first place, it means the money market as a whole has lost confidence entirely in the lending entity's ability to service its debts and obligations - never mind mark to market writedowns of mortgages and the underlying assets which have dropped 60%.

There is no such thing, as a free lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

In recognition of your witty insights, you have earned yourself a 1 week posting ban from this forum. If you have any intention of posting in this forum again on the elapse of your ban, please ensure you read the forum charter and abide by it.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

Advertisement