Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Quit Log_GastroBoy

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Vizzy wrote: »
    GastroBoy,you can't go back on them now !!
    Shure you're an inspiration to others:D

I told you it would get easier( and better) as time went on.

How are you getting on with the dreams or have you any other side effects?

Well done so far

Cheers Vizzy, so far so good!!
    The weird sleeping pattern has eased off now a bit, though I still do wake at least once a night. Other side effects not so bad, a little dizziness every now and then which is the added oxygen going through me I suppose!
    Thanks for the support @Vizzy!!

W0bble5 wrote: »
    Today was set to be my quit day but woke up yesterday with a manky hangover and just didn't bother smoking.

I'm 28, been smoking since I'm 12.... I cut down a while ago from 25 or so to about 15 a day. Been through 3 collapsed lungs and 2 serious lung operations and never stayed off them more than a few weeks.

I'm using an electronic cigarette to take the edge off it. So far so good. Day 2 over!

My wife started her quit day today and broke in the evening and had one so I gave her one of my electronic cigarettes to see if that'll help her out!

Fair play to you man, day two is great, just try to stick with it another few days and it's easier I promise you, it's out of your system!!

If you need any more motivation to give up other then what it does for your health,..I'm nearly half way saved up for a flat screen tv from cigarette money after only two weeks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭W0bble5

GastroBoy wrote: »
    Fair play to you man, day two is great, just try to stick with it another few days and it's easier I promise you, it's out of your system!!

If you need any more motivation to give up other then what it does for your health,..I'm nearly half way saved up for a flat screen tv from cigarette money after only two weeks!!!

Nice! Cheers GastroBoy. I'll pop in over the next few days & keep you posted on how I'm doing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

Day 2. I felt a bit weepy and wobbley this morning, bit of a rough sleep and like a demon getting up. :mad:

Had cravings, but took vizzys advice and walked around the chair (thought it sounded weird tbh, but it worked). Like Gastro I really did not enjoy smoking anymore, hated it.

Normal b/fast - coffee and a fag.

Today I had a bowl of porridge with fresh mango. Really nice so I'm perking up a little.

Taking it step by step.

daltonmd wrote: »
    Day 2. I felt a bit weepy and wobbley this morning, bit of a rough sleep and like a demon getting up. :mad:

Had cravings, but took vizzys advice and walked around the chair (thought it sounded weird tbh, but it worked). Like Gastro I really did not enjoy smoking anymore, hated it.

Normal b/fast - coffee and a fag.

Today I had a bowl of porridge with fresh mango. Really nice so I'm perking up a little.

Taking it step by step.

Well Done!!
    The first few days are tough.
    A few thing that helped me were to take a lunch with you to work, if you do work, and don't have any spare change to buy cigs.
    Plan some things for the evening, a walk, cinema, blood donation....anything!!
    Keep a glass of water with you all the time, extra cold if possible!
    Buy yourself some chewing gum.
    Remember, cravings will only last for 1 minute at the most.
    Look forward to getting a tingling throughout your body, this is oxygen starting to flow properly again, how can that not be a good thing!!

Good luck! GB

• Advertisement

Well Done!!
    The first few days are tough.
    A few thing that helped me were to take a lunch with you to work, if you do work, and don't have any spare change to buy cigs.
    Plan some things for the evening, a walk, cinema, blood donation....anything!!
    Keep a glass of water with you all the time, extra cold if possible!
    Buy yourself some chewing gum.
    Remember, cravings will only last for 1 minute at the most.
    Look forward to getting a tingling throughout your body, this is oxygen starting to flow properly again, how can that not be a good thing!!

Good luck! GB

I'm actually off work after back surgery so it's kind of ok not to be surrounded by others smoking.

My mobility isn't great at the mo, which is ok because I can't run to the shop lol!!

Cleaning my fridge at the mo. Doing ok, thanks for the support - it's actually very helpful!!

DAY 17

By Jove, even after 17 days the little buggers can come out of nowhere.
    Had a tough day yesterday at work, and the temptation hit me after and when I came home. I didn't give in to them though, but it left me irate till I went to bed.
    I hope that's the nicotine's last attempt at getting me back!!

Anyway, I'm so thankful I didn't cave in, I dont think I would but it just shows you still need to be strong for a good bit.

I'm very glad to be this far now. Sleeping is a bit wonky still but I can deal with that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

DAY 17

By Jove, even after 17 days the little buggers can come out of nowhere.

I hope that's the nicotine's last attempt at getting me back!!

Good man and well done. It's not the last time you'll be tested. Not by a long shot.

Vigilance and stubborn ignorance my man. Your two best allies in this campaign.

Fair play GastroBoy. Day 17 is excellent. Hope I get there....soon!!!

I'm at the end of day 4.

Today was tough. Work is fine, doesn't bother me even though I thought it would because it's when I smoke more than at home. But tonight my best friend called over for a few hours and we had a few drinks. We started smoking together many moons ago and I never told him about me "being a non-smoker" now. He had a few (with my wife unfortunately). But I stayed strong. Stuck to my leccy smoke. Even though I really really wanted one, whenever they finished I was delighted I didn't buckle.

And now I'm chuffed I can say I'm just about over day 4. My wife even said well done to me when he left cos she said she was sure I'd cave!

Tomorrow will be easier I'm sure....and after that I'm 5 days through.

Fair play GastroBoy. Day 17 is excellent. Hope I get there....soon!!!

I'm at the end of day 4.

Today was tough. Work is fine, doesn't bother me even though I thought it would because it's when I smoke more than at home. But tonight my best friend called over for a few hours and we had a few drinks. We started smoking together many moons ago and I never told him about me "being a non-smoker" now. He had a few (with my wife unfortunately). But I stayed strong. Stuck to my leccy smoke. Even though I really really wanted one, whenever they finished I was delighted I didn't .

Good for you!! You're sticking with it!
    You're like me, I would be more tempted to smoke at work, because of routine/habit, so it's good to find little distractions and ways to avoid it.
    Keep it up, looking forward to hearing about your progress.

• Advertisement

Day from hell yesterday!!. Was not fit for human consumption lol, but I fought through it and am ok this morning. Feel the better for the bad day though, kept saying to myself "what will change if Ihave one?" Nothing. So am a bit stronger for it!!

Keep hanging in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Well done everyone! I'm just over 5 months off them.

Don't ever think that 1 cigarette is ok because its a slippery slope. 1 cigarette will undo all the hard work you have put in. That thought alone is what got me through it.

And when you've had a crap day from it, remember its the addiction fighting back. Its knows you've won!!!

DAY 19

It's getting tricky to count the days now, surely thats good sign:)

Unbelievable that I made this far really, I was confident when I started this log but I've actually surprised myself.

It is defiantly manageable now, even had a few drinks last and the cravings weren't even present, also a nice little chuckle, every time going to the bathroom I passed the cig machine, E9.20!! Thats another 2 pints for me, thank you very much!:D

I hope everyone quitting out there knows that it really does get easier with time, the cravings DO disappear, the rest is up to yourself!!

DAY 22

Over the 3 week mark now, cold turkey & no slip ups!

Still the best decision I ever made.

Seems to be wearing off more and more each day now and in getting used to living like a non-smoker.
    Caught a chest cold a week ago, which im told is normal when someone quits the fags.
    But ever since ive had problems with congestion in my nose, im also pretty sure that this is some side affect of quitting. Anyone else get that?

I've also developed a mild cough, which im slightly proud of in a strange way as it feels like my lungs are detoxing themselves and getting back to better health

Anyway, sorry that I've not been regular with updates but sure at this stage now its hardly worth posting every day.

As always, good luck to everyone quitting out there!!!
    GB

Well done GastroBoy. 3 weeks is quality. I'm still going strong at day 10 now. Was away last weekend and drinking with a load of smokers and it honestly didn't bother me.

Testing times coming up though - I'm away at a stags this weekend so I'll have to keep my wits about me!

My wife was full-on smoking at the weekend but tried to quit again yesterday. Did well yesterday then for no reason really came home from work tonight and had one!! Hopefully she gets in the right frame of mind soon and tries properly but I think everyone has to decide for themselves....

Well done GastroBoy. 3 weeks is quality. I'm still going strong at day 10 now. Was away last weekend and drinking with a load of smokers and it honestly didn't bother me.

Testing times coming up though - I'm away at a stags this weekend so I'll have to keep my wits about me!

My wife was full-on smoking at the weekend but tried to quit again yesterday. Did well yesterday then for no reason really came home from work tonight and had one!! Hopefully she gets in the right frame of mind soon and tries properly but I think everyone has to decide for themselves....

Cheers man!
    Can't be easy for you trying to give up with someone around you smoking at home. But from my (limited) experience its often an encouragement when you can smell the foul smoke off them, and clock up the money you are saving each time they have a smoke.
    Keep at it, your doing fantastically.
    And hey, you stick with and you'll be more able to guide your wife through the quitting process. Who knows, this time next year your home will be smoke free!!
    Good luck.

Advertisement