Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite Triple pack - Too good to be true ?

• 25-06-2012 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I've been offered a trial of ISB's triple package, 8MB broadband, phone and TV. Any advise on what I should check during trial, anyone else had any experience of the triple package or questions / queries I should look into. I'm told there is NO contention, NO latency, Its a 2 year sign up so I'd want to be very sure, but on the surface it looks a good deal. . if it works ! Any advise ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Well, on satellite connections, the ping times are absolutely awful, so if you want to do any gaming, you'll be looking forward to a lot of lag. I'm open to correction here. When you say trial? You mean it's free for a couple of months, or the whole 2 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Falconer00 wrote: »
    I'm told there is NO contention, NO latency,

Well that's utter nonsense for sure

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The satellite is 20,000 miles away so if light travels at 186,000 miles a second that is nearly 100ms of Ping time getting up there innit. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Check your data allowance and what kind of rolling caps they have

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Falconer00

Thanks guys. . . I've got a one week trial. . I imagine they will give me a fully operable uncomplicated feed to sell me the package. I was just wondering how I can monitor it so that I tie what I'm getting in the trial into the 2 year package if that's what I take up. I use speedtest.net but don't know of anything else I should be checking or any other queries I should ask. We will want to use the braodband for gaming. .so that is a consideration, but I'll try it on the trial. Thanks

• Advertisement

We will want to use the braodband for gaming. .so that is a consideration, but I'll try it on the trial. Thanks

You won't be doing any reasonable gaming on satellite, the pings (latency) times are enormous, so no realtime gaming for you.

Sat is only useful if you live 1000kms offshore in the middle of the Atlantic it is not for real broadband usage at all so don't expect anything like real broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Falconer00

OK I'm getting a much clearer picture here. . its not the wonderkind it's made out to be and I would be better off with a 5MB FWA broadband which is also available . . . right ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

OK I'm getting a much clearer picture here. . its not the wonderkind it's made out to be and I would be better off with a 5MB FWA broadband which is also available . . . right ?

I can't even begin to say how MUCH MUCH better FWA is to satellite. I'd take 5MBit FWA/DSL over 50MBit satellite even. :)

Even if you don't game you will probably be affected by extremely poor VOIP due to the latency. The best pings I've ever seen on two way satellite have been around 500ms, that's half a second delay - makes having a conversation frustrating due to always talking over the other person.

A basic FWA connection beats the fastest satellite connection on so many levels this post isn't long enough to list them all.

Read this before deciding :
    http://irelandoffline.org/2011/09/satellite-is-not-really-broadband/

Advertisement