Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Album of the Week #77

Options
  • 25-06-2012 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here the latest Album of the Week. Thanks to everyone who took the time to vote. Here's the breakdown of the votes. Only albums with more than one vote are listed.
    Band|Album|Votes
    Nirvana|Nevermind|5
    Deicide|Legion|3

Here is Smells Like Teen Spirit from the winning album, Nevermind by Nirvana.

I love that video. Little touches like the tattoo-covered cheerleaders and the way the crowd went from bored to mayhem made it so different to other music videos of the time or even these days where product placement and perfect teeth come first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I have to admit is that I got into Nevermind and thus Nirvana a bit late. A friend of mine's older brother played us Bleach at some point in 1991 and I distinctly remember being unimpressed. To my twelve-year-old ears it was noisy as hell and largely devoid of melody.

Fast forward a year or so and suddenly everyone seemed to be talking about Nirvana. Somehow, despite living in 2-channel land, I managed to catch the video for In Bloom on television. It was only a brief clip but I remember being mystified and thinkng "WTF? These guys who are dressed like some Dad Rock from the 60s are the current big thing?"

One of my friends at the time was a big fan of theirs so the next time I was around at his house I asked him directly what all the fuss was about. He played Smells Like Teen Spirit on his stereo and once I picked my jaw up off the floor we formed a band :).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I only got into Nirvana following the saturation coverage they got from MTV when SLTS broke. Whilst i'm not the biggest Nirvana fan in the world i still love Nevermind. It still sounds great over 20 years on and one of the few albums i own that i don't feel like skipping certain tracks on.

Listing off favourite tracks would be like listing the singles tbh,all strong tunes. I turned my back on them shortly after as the whole grunge thing took off and me being a straight R&M fan decided i didn't want any interest in it. Thankfully a few years ago i revisited the album without labels or genres and gained a new respect for the music and sound. This album should be in everyones collection imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

Malice wrote: »
    Somehow, despite living in 2-channel land, I managed to catch the video for In Bloom on television.

The Beat Box on Network 2 of a Sunday morning most likely! Same place I heard Nirvana for the first time - I knew there was something happening but my older brother hated it and he had Metallica and Slayer albums at the time so I had to tow the line. It was 'Come as You Are' that outed me to his disgust though, it was undeniable. As overplayed as the album may have become the cultural imprint was and is undeniable, regardless of opinion of the band or album.

In regards to 'Bleach' I think it's time - I think it's alright at this stage - for people to admit they don't like it, they didn't hear that album first, and it was 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' that got them into Nirvana.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Loved Bleach and had just seen Nirvana play in Cork a few weeks before Nevermind came out, so had heard a few tracks from it live before it hit the shops. So was chomping at the bit for it.

But by the time Nevermind actually hit the shops I was hooked on another new release of about the same time which was Pearl Jam's Ten. Ten just hooked me, and really overshadowed Nevermind for me for a long time, plus a month after Nevermind came out, Soundgarden released Badmotorfinger so my eagerness for all things Nirvana got watered down again.

I tended to like the more metal sound so the likes of Pearl Jan, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden etc all ended up catching my ear for the next couple of years, and Nirvana, the band that had blownthe teen me away in Cork, were that band who everyone else loves and who are on tv the whole time. So in typical teen music snob fashion I sneered at them and rocked away with other stuff.

Then some years later, after I have taken to In Utero I decided to revisit Nevermind and thankfully was a little less close minded about my music at that stage. The album rocked, and it was in the non single tracks that I really found some gems.

Rather than put up youtube videos of the tracks I liked the most, I think I will put up the entire album as covered by a number of different artists.Those that already have the Kerrang Nevermind cover album will know these tracks, but for anyone that does not these might be some new covers of old favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

viadah wrote: »
    The Beat Box on Network 2 of a Sunday morning most likely!
    No, it was definitely an evening-time program because I remember I was eating dinner at the time. The nearest I can think of is Jo Maxi if it was a weekday or possibly some Saturday evening show otherwise.
    viadah wrote:
    In regards to 'Bleach' I think it's time - I think it's alright at this stage - for people to admit they don't like it, they didn't hear that album first, and it was 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' that got them into Nirvana.
    Agreed although for me only two parts of that statement are true ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Classic album, the songs are so well written.

I was properly introduced to Nirvana by my cousin who gave me their 'MTV Unplugged In New York' CD when I was in secondary school, I had been mainly listening to rap, hip-hop and electronic dance music like The Prodigy up until then. I was bowled-over by the unplugged album and remained fascinated with them right up until I went to college. It was there where I was first introduced to learning the guitar by my housemate and I can still remember my excitement of being able to rock out my first riff, 'Come As You Are', on acoustic.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I prefer In Utero, but Nevermind is still a great record. Territorial Pissings is one of the most fun cover songs I've ever played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Not the biggest Nirvana fan in the world.
    I did go through the grunge phase that everyone does when growing up though, and among my favourite Nirvana songs, is "Something in the Way"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

More of a PJ fan myself, however I don't think anyone can deny just how good Nevermind actually is. IMO SLTS is not even the best song on the album; that'd be Something In The Way. Plus Grohl's drumming is on the money on each track.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I distinctly remember the first time I heard SLTS, it was on The Word one drunken Friday night when I was a student in Manchester and it was one of those moments where you sit mouth agape as the world changes around you. For some reason I ended up listening to Bleach more than Nevermind initially (and I still think Bleach is a great album) but Nevermind was so unlike anything else that was popular at the time (all dance music and Stone Roses baggy, at least where I was), and so NOISY, that I couldn't help liking it. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement