Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plug adapter

• 25-06-2012 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi there,

I am looking for an adapter to convert a Type M (South African thick three prong plug) to a Type G (Irish plug).

It is so that I can use my South African laptop in Ireland.

I have found many that convert Type F (South African thin two prong plug) but none of the larger ones.

Does anyone know who sells them, or even who has a large selection?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you can't find a suitable adapter, the leads that are used on laptop chargers are one of two standard IEC types, either 2 or 3 pin. They're pretty easy to get hold of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Jamie Mac

Thanks Alun, I was at Compu-B yesterday and it would be €89 for the cable and its just a three week visit so a bit pricy! Thanks though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Jamie Mac wrote: »
    Thanks Alun, I was at Compu-B yesterday and it would be €89 for the cable and its just a three week visit so a bit pricy! Thanks though.
    I think that was probably for a complete new charger:). The mains leads themselves usually plug into the charger unit, and are commonly called 'figure of eight' for the 2 pin version, or 'cloverleaf' for the 3 pin version.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/figure-of-8-mains-lead-1168

http://www.maplin.co.uk/cloverleaf-mains-lead-29240

I only used Maplins as an example, you'd get them cheaper than that at an electrical store like Powercity or DID electrical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Jamie Mac

Thanks Alun, the problem is that it's a mac laptop :(
    They won't sell me just that part.

Appreciate your time :)

Is it a moulded plug?

If not just buy a rewirable plug and swap it and when you're finished swap them back.

or just cut off the SA plug fit a standard UK plug and when you get back to SA just buy and fit a new plug there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement