Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire Safety Engineer not on Skills List?

Options
  • 25-06-2012 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭

I have just graduated with a BSc.(Hons) in Fire Safety Engineering and have been talking to a few companies in New Zealand regarding work. One company has asked me to check if I am eligible for a visa but Fire engineer is not on the skills list, there are loads of different types of engineering on the list, the Australian one has even more but still no fire engineering. It is a niche market so I was wondering if it could come under structural engineer or some other category. Can anybody enlighten me on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

probably under Building services. Tricky one, quite specialized in title even though it would still involve most branches of engineering. Trick would be to get sponsored as services, mechanical or hvac, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I'm a Fire Engineer in Sydney and am classified as a "Engineering Technologist" on my visa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Hi Kev,
    Any jobs going where you work?
    I have a final interview with a company for a job in Christchurch who would take me out on a talent visa but I dont know if I am comfortable bringing the whole family to an earthquake zone with people living in their cars etc.
    My only other option is to have a job offer from a company somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Hi Kev,
    Any jobs going where you work?
    I have a final interview with a company for a job in Christchurch who would take me out on a talent visa but I dont know if I am comfortable bringing the whole family to an earthquake zone with people living in their cars etc.
    My only other option is to have a job offer from a company somewhere else.

At the moment no because we took on somebody a few weeks back. I do however get recruitment agents via LinkedIn contact me 1-2 times a month asking if I want to move - do there is plenty work out there.

Send me a PM to remind me and I'll forward what details I have. I'll get back to you later tonight / weekend

Advertisement