Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No graduation for H Dip

Options
  • 25-06-2012 2:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭

My partner has finished their H Dip in UCD but there is no graduation ceremony. The faculty say HDip is not a degree, but it is level 8, the same as an honours degree.

Does anyone know the reason for this please?

They will have to organise their own grad ceremony offsite.

Grad should be an exciting time with your family on campus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I did it the year before and we had a graduation around November.

What do you mean by ceremony? We had a standard graduation and there was also people getting PHDs and masters in Education then there was a small reception in the conservatory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

budget?

No, we offered to pay for it ourselves onsite.

What do you mean by ceremony? We had a standard graduation and there was also people getting PHDs and masters in Education then there was a small reception in the conservatory.

The idea of a standard graduation would be lovely. They will not let us have it on UCD grounds.

So are they just sending you your diplomas by post? This sounds highly unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

My partner has finished their H Dip in UCD but there is no graduation ceremony. The faculty say HDip is not a degree, but it is level 8, the same as an honours degree.

Does anyone know the reason for this please?

They will have to organise their own grad ceremony offsite.

Grad should be an exciting time with your family on campus

There certainly is a graduation ceremony for Postgraduate Diplomas but they are level 9 rather than level 8 like the Higher Diplomas. While a H Dip is level 8, I suppose it is not the same credits as a degree. Maybe that's a distinction they use. Do you know if there has traditionally been a ceremony for that particular qualification?

• Advertisement

If your area was education are you sure it wasn't the Post Graduate Diploma you did (level 9) rather than a Higher Diploma?

Powerhouse wrote: »
    There certainly is a graduation ceremony for Postgraduate Diplomas but they are level 9 rather than level 8 like the Higher Diplomas. While a H Dip is level 8, I suppose it is not the same credits as a degree. Maybe that's a distinction they use. Do you know if there has traditionally been a ceremony for that particular qualification?

If an honours degree and a H Dip are both level 8, why is there a difference.

So are they just sending you your diplomas by post? This sounds highly unusual.

My partner and her fellow H Dips are renting a room in a Hotel and the lecturers from the course will attend.

If your area was education are you sure it wasn't the Post Graduate Diploma you did (level 9) rather than a Higher Diploma?

I did the PGDE as it was called in 2010-2011. Apparently it was then announced as a level 8, although its really irrelevant to teaching what level or title it has.

Anyway that shouldn't really affect the idea of a graduation just because its not a step above a higher degree. Its still a qualification awarded by UCD.

If an honours degree and a H Dip are both level 8, why is there a difference.

I'm not sure if you're asking this is in the abstract or in relation to UCD's graduation policy.

If it's the former there's a difference presumably because they are different courses. One is 180 ECTS credits and the other only 60. A better question might be if they so different in duration and content why are they both level 8?

Well, the reason that a H Dip is level 8 is that it's by definition a qualification which by and large is available only to those educated to level seven (ordinary degree) at least.

The other interpretation of your question - why do UCD treat them differently in terms of graduation? I have no idea. But one argument might be the content/duration point.

You cannot really not have a graduation for someone's Bachelor's degree, if graduations are part of college life at all.

These questions should be asked of the relevant department in UCD. It is pointless people speculating about it.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if you're asking this is in the abstract

In the abstract, UCD have made it clear what their opinion is.

Was hoping someone here had insisted that a grad went ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

I assume that all the Grad-Dips receive a paper to that effect? I'm not terribly concerned about pomp and ceremony (secondary school graduation anyone?.. ugh) but you should have something to show for your work, money and success... other than just an academic transcript of course. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

In the abstract, UCD have made it clear what their opinion is.

Was hoping someone here had insisted that a grad went ahead.

I'd be very interested to hear what UCD's opinion is.

This is the first year that the dip has been officially designated on the NQF and so this is the first year this issue has arisen.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

Grad Dips are not awarded at the normal graduation ceremonies in UCD. I'm not surprised that it's the same for HDips. I don't know what the reason for this is. Some schools arrange their own events to celebrate completing the course. I'm surprised OP's school isn't facilitating them having their event on campus. There's certainly no good reason for this if the cost is low or zero. A school could easily book a room and bring in some bottles of wine or whatever. Events like that happen all the time in there - arranged by schools, student clubs etc. If the Forum bar was open you could get the upstairs room reserved for free (and you wouldn't need permission from anyone except the bar).

but you should have something to show for your work, money and success... other than just an academic transcript of course. :pac:

The whole H Dip course deserves a graduation night in UCD. They have worked hard for 2 year's, and they all had diploma's 1st to get on the course. A few are heading on to do their master's.

The room rental for the graduation in the nearby hotel is 1,000 euro for the night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Im a bit confused by this thread. Is it the PGDE/PDE that we are talking about or is it a Hdip in some subject?

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Im a bit confused by this thread. Is it the PGDE/PDE that we are talking about or is it a Hdip in some subject?

As am I. I just assumed it was the H.Dip in Education but thats not 2 years.

Mardy Bum wrote: »

Presumably it is a H Dip in some subject (as opposed to education that is). The 'H Dip' in education has long since been consigned to the pages of history. It mist be five years at least since it was offered under that name. It's in its second name change since at this point so the nomenclature should not be an issue at this stage.

UCD offers H Dips in Sociology, general Arts, Maths, Computer Science, Economics, Psychology and many more subjects. There should be no confusion really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Presumably it is a H Dip in some subject (as opposed to education that is). The 'H Dip' in education has long since been consigned to the pages of history. It mist be five years at least since it was offered under that name. It's in its second name change since at this point so the nomenclature should not be an issue at this stage.

UCD offers H Dips in Sociology, general Arts, Maths, Computer Science, Economics, Psychology and many more subjects. There should be no confusion really.

Yes Im aware of this but a lot of people still refer to it as a Hdip from habit, so I was just checking.

I do not want to mention the exact course for privacy issues.

It is a H Dip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 mjon21

"All UCD diploma's are conferring in absentia so there is no conferring ceremony for your course. The School of Education may be organising a ceremony to present you with your diplomas but you would need to contact them directly regarding this.

Kind regards,

Claire Phelan

UCD Conferring Unit
    Tierney Building, Room 223"

Just finished the PDE as it's now known. When I didn't see a date for conferral on UCD website I emailed them and this reply (above) shed some light on it.

Cutbacks I suppose. Shame but I suppose its not like its your first graduation although it was a nice occasion to meet your colleagues and their family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mjon21

OK one more thing! I just emailed to ask why they stopped this year, but I was seemingly misinformed to begin with! ;P

Reply:

"The Conferring Unit did not organise the one that took place last year either. That was a also a presentation ceremony that was organised by the School. All diplomas and certificates have always been conferred in absentia and either posted out or held for presentation ceremonies where the relevant school is organising one. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Did you get sorted with a ceremony for the PDE in the end? Sounds very unusual to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Did the PDE class get a graduation in the end?

Advertisement