Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security deposit

Options
  • 25-06-2012 2:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭

This is coming from the landlords side!! My tenant gave a months notice and is moving which is fine. I was looking at the house yesterday and noticed a lot of small things that I know should not be and I want to know am I just being a bit over the top.

Firstly this was a first time rental and the house was in excellent condition and very clean, new floors, internal doors, fresh internal plastering and painting and blinds all less than 12 months old at start of lease (12 month lease). House had been completely renovated over the 3 years prior to renting, new windows, plumbing, electrics etc..

When I walked around the house I noticed the edge of the blinds are curling in badly as they are constantly down, even all day long. Also some of the trimming has come loose on the blinds. I noticed some dark marks on the walls at about table height as if the table was rubbing against the wall or something was on the table and marked the wall. A back door blind has been badly splashed with food stains and creased by an elastic band used to tie it back out of the way. And I noticed a large dull mark on the kitchen counter(didn't get a good look at this and it might just wash off) Also I don't think the windows were opened much if at all during the year and the window frames are very dirty and dusty!

Would these things warrent holding back a portion of the security deposit to fund rectifying or do they sound like general wear and tear. Personally I look at wear and tear as "would it happen if I were living in the house" and my answer to that in this instance would be no!!

Any input appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Non tenant here.

Yes your way ove the top. Wear and tear is to be expected you can only charge for damage.

If the counter is damanged (your not sure) fair enough but the rest no way would I consider them reasonable for deductions.

that said I would absolutly tell the renter to ensure they clean before moving out. Which should rectify most of what you posted

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Can you prove the condition of the house when the tenant moved in?

From what you have said you might have a case if the back door blind needs to be replaced (that damage sounds like it is beyond normal wear and tear) and possibly for the counter top if it turns out to be a burn mark or something. The marks on the walls sound like wear and tear unless the marks are exceptionally bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mostly wear and tear although yes they should have cleaned up.

Why an issue/criticism that the blinds are down all day? Sounds like poor quality there. They should not deteriorate if they are good quality.

You mean that you would keep the house clean? That is easily rectified and not an issue re retaining the deposit.

Wear and tear is just that. Normal and to be expected.

Nothing has been wilfully damaged etc. or broken.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭spindizzy

Graces7 wrote: »
    Mostly wear and tear although yes they should have cleaned up.

Why an issue/criticism that the blinds are down all day? Sounds like poor quality there. They should not deteriorate if they are good quality.

I dont mind that blinds are down but it's because they are down all day that the sun has caused the edge to curl, also the trimming that is coming off is only at the bottom of the blinds and it's my guess it from people grabbing and pulling on it. The blinds were professional installed and are good quality, that's the main reason I'm annoyed at the condition of them now. Similar blinds installed in neighbours house not near as bad looking now.

I have spoken to tenants and they understand house needs to be left as was given to them less wear and tear but not sure why I should foot bill if house needs further cleaning after they leave???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

When you let out your house you need to emotionally detach from it. Seeing it after tenants can be difficult, particularly if you've lived there.

From what you've posted I agree with the others, you need to inspect the worktop more closely, and the back door blind is potentially deductible. As for the trims/edges on the other blinds, that is wear and tear unless leases specifically detail how the blinds should be used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭yellowtrout

Sounds like normal wear and tear to me.
    If your walls or furniture were badly damaged I'd consider keeping some of the deposit but you have to realise your property was never going to remain exactly the same after your tenants have been in.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

I think you are going over the top too OP. The issues all sound like wear and tear with the exception of the mark on the counter if it is a burn mark and not just a mark that can be scrubbed off.

If there is mark on the counter and you are going to withhold some of the deposit, you will need to supply receipts for the amount you deducted to show that you used the money to fix the mark. To be honest, the only way to fix such a mark I imagine would be to replace the counter and this would be really excessive unless the damage is extensive.

One thing I would say is that if you are renting your house out, you will have to get used to the fact that tenants are more than likely not going to keep the place as well as you would yourself. To be honest, if that is all the wear and tear after a years rent, you got away very lightly and most landlords would love to have tenants as good. There are a lot worse tenants out there!

Advertisement