Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD arts entry - confused?

Options
  • 25-06-2012 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hello, I've applied to do Art History and English in UCD next year and I'm just wondering if by applying to do these subjects means that I will automatically get a place provided I get the points?
    I'm just a little worried that I'll get into UCD arts but will not be able to do what I want and be forced to do a subject I don't like.
    I've looked at the information on the ucd website for the horizons and the arts but none of the pages makes this very clear.

I'd be very grateful for any help!

Thanks,
    Lauren

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

laurenm94 wrote: »
    Hello, I've applied to do Art History and English in UCD next year and I'm just wondering if by applying to do these subjects means that I will automatically get a place provided I get the points?
    I'm just a little worried that I'll get into UCD arts but will not be able to do what I want and be forced to do a subject I don't like.
    I've looked at the information on the ucd website for the horizons and the arts but none of the pages makes this very clear.

I'd be very grateful for any help!

Thanks,
    Lauren

I believe that that is the case: afaik the reason for the choice during the CAO process is to help ensure people are allocated places in their favourite subjects. You may also have to take up a third subject for first year, during registration, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I believe that that is the case: afaik the reason for the choice during the CAO process is to help ensure people are allocated places in their favourite subjects. You may also have to take up a third subject for first year, during registration, btw.

applicants usually get the subjects they apply for except if the subject is full but you most probably get the subjects you want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I'm assuming the code on the form was DN500 -
    If you picked English and History on the CAO website you should be signed up to any compulsory modules. In the case of English you'll be preselected for Literature in Context 1 & 2. The other two modules you will have to sign up for. I'm not sure if there are compulsory mods for History, but you will be signed up for a min of 2 and you add the others during registration.

Even though you have selected your main subjects, you will still have 4 other module spaces to fill, so take a look at what else is available so you, esp from the Groups A, C, E and F. https://myucd.ucd.ie/programme_info/firstyearexplained.ezc

There are other various bits of info about module selection etc, but I don't want to confuse the issue to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 laurenm94

Ah ok, thanks for easing my worries I just really hope my subjects aren't full...They couldn't make me do a subject I don't want to do could they?

Then I assume then you pick whatever is available to you for the rest of the modules during reg like Maldesu said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

They would leave the choice to you, but you may have to do something and it would probably be a choice of something you dislike or hate. It's only in 1st year that your English and History would be four modules each.

Here's a little breakdown of what it should be like:

4 Modules for English
    Lit in Context 1 - Compulsory and should be preselected
    Lit in Context 2 - Compulsory and should be preselected
    Coming Age of Narratives - You will pick this
    Literary Genre - You will pick this

4 Modules for History - none of these subjects are compulsory, though two will be selected for you automatically (so you have a place). You simply pick the other two.
    The Making of Modern Europe
    Rome to Renaissance
    Contested Island
    Life in the Republic

4 Modules
    You will have 4 left. Many people use them to take another subject eg. Sociology, but you don't have to. If you like, you could take one module in Socio, French, Celtic Civilization etc. Just so long as the 4 are used.

• Advertisement
Advertisement