Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not picking up the poos!!

• 25-06-2012 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

Twice over the weekend we saw owners not picking up in the park.. The first one the person saw him pooing and quickly looked away, yesterday the dog was ahead of them - there was no way you could miss what he was doing as he was in the line of sight ahead of them in poo position. On both occasions the owners were on the path and all of us were in the middle on the grass so possibly they didn't realise we could see what was happening. Do you say anything when this happens? Our park is quite lax with lead times but idiots like this will ruin it for the rest of us imo not to mention other owners/joggers/walkers/kids stepping in it :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Have words with the owners next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

In my estate the council have put up new signs. The fine was around €150, now if someone is taken to court the fine goes up to €3,000.

Around town, along the canal and even along a walk way through a scenic wooded area - managed by the council - where people pay a yearly membership - folk still don't pick up!

What happens if I do confront someone? OK, I could offer them a bag to pick it up there & then. And maybe next time the person might be more careful.

Where I am I'd say alot people would tell me to F off. How does one enforce the fine? If I ring the dog warden he could be 30 miles away. Will the offender wait for the Guards? Don't think so.

There is a woman who lives around the corner from me - not sure what number. She walks her 2 small dogs, now & again, and she is guilty. I don't want to but the next time I might have to report her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Ugh!! Can't stand owners too bloody lazy to pick up after their dogs...:mad::mad: And I bet the little darlings aren't even wormed or have regular shots.

FFS - A box of nappy bags costs less than 2 euro. How difficult is it to pop a couple in their pockets as they go out to walk the dog??

We're so paranoid about picking up, I have bags in my handbag, various jacket pockets and glove box as well as at home. It's really not difficult!!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Ugh!! Can't stand owners too bloody lazy to pick up after their dogs...:mad::mad: And I bet the little darlings aren't even wormed or have regular shots.

FFS - A box of nappy bags costs less than 2 euro. How difficult is it to pop a couple in their pockets as they go out to walk the dog??

We're so paranoid about picking up, I have bags in my handbag, various jacket pockets and glove box as well as at home. It's really not difficult!!

I agree! A roll of 200 poop bags costs just over 3euro in most pet shops. If you want to own a dog then you own the responsibility for picking up and disposing of it's poo.

There are so many dog owners around where we live that regularly just leave it behind. Twice in the last few weeks I have been walking home when it was dark and was unable to avoid some lovely piles. Even worse, one of these times I was wearing a new pair of open toed sandels. It's disgusting.

Our guy only 'goes' in our back garden (much easier to pick up after him then) but we still have poop bags in most pockets of the coats we own, bags in all my purses, bags in the car, all just in case we get caught out.

I have started to pass comment to people I see doing it. Most of the times I have been out walking to dog when I have said it so I feel more comfortable as they know I am speaking to them as a fellow dog owner. I might be a bit nervous doing it on my own as people can be a bit on the nasty side when it's pointed out to them that they are in the wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

It's funny but when I have picked up our dogs poo, I feel a sense of pride walking along with my bag. Showing the world I'm not a terrible owner who doesn't pick up after their dogs. Though in my area there seems to be a distinct lack of bins, I think if there are bins everywhere, it really helps. I haven't seen many people not pick up poos, but I have seen the evidence along our walk that way too many aren't. I don't think I'd do anything, I'm really not a confrontational person, but I will give them a very dirty look. They will know they have been judged

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Not enough bins, that's for sure. In London, it used to be really bad for mess on the streets. Now, most if not all boroughs have doggy bins, special spaces put aside for dogs, and will even supply free poo bags*. Shame the same doesn't happen here, which I suppose is down to lack of funds.

*I know because when I go home, I have my free supplies waiting for me!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Be honest guys! We've all been there. Your walking your dog and your tired, the dog's annoying you, it was a hard day and then your dog takes a dump in the middle of the park or in your neighbours lawn. You look around to see if anyone's looking and you discretely walk on. No big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

Martin_94 wrote: »
    Be honest guys! We've all been there. Your walking your dog and your tired, the dog's annoying you, it was a hard day and then your dog takes a dump in the middle of the park or in your neighbours lawn. You look around to see if anyone's looking and you discretely walk on. No big deal.

Eh.....no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

at least have them **** on the grass(where it easily disingtegrates into the earth),and not the path where it stays mank for ages and ages..

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishbarb

I was at Fanore beach in Clare a few weeks ago, and this lady was walking on the grassy area, and her dog pooped. She looked around and saw me staring at her and she saw me shake my head as she walked off. So annoying, there were kids running around there in their bare feet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The next time I see that happen in my garden, I'll be dusting off my airsoft rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 padgo

Its a lack of respect for other peoples property. Honestly those bags don't break the bank.
    How hard could it be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Next time I'm shouting over 'Do you need a bag for that?' so bloody annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

So glad I pick up the poo! Ra was having one in someone's driveway yesterday, and I had my bag out waiting for her to finish when who should walk up the road but the homeowner! I'm very glad that I was obviously being responsible, and that the homeowner had no reason to be angry with me, I'm sure he was also happy not to have a poo left in his garden.

Thank God the sensible people have taken over the thread again :D

The way I see it is that I am just as responsible for what comes OUT of my dog as I am for what goes IN to my dog.

Simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Thanks for all you guys who actually pick up after your dogs.

We've got an open driveway (just got planning permission for wall and gate, so hopefully not much longer), and the amount of dogs I have to chase off my property with no owner in sight is simply unreal.
    As is the amount of dog poo I tend to find in the driveway, or when mowing the lawn. Yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Nettekee

When you do pick up your doggy poop, is it ok to put it in any bin? - not a bin specifically for doggy business - I'll admit I know where all the bins are on my regular walk, at bus stops etc and have regularily popped the poop in them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Nettekee wrote: »
    When you do pick up your doggy poop, is it ok to put it in any bin? - not a bin specifically for doggy business - I'll admit I know where all the bins are on my regular walk, at bus stops etc and have regularily popped the poop in them!

I put them in the normal bins - there's no poo bins in the parks we go to. Somebody mentioned the other day that when they complained there wasn't enough bins in the park they were told you're supposed to take it home with you... But there's always nappies in the bins so poo is poo as far as I'm concerned! I feel poo pride when i drop it into an empty bin and it makes a bang lol! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Where we are there are no bins whatsoever :( means I am walking around with 2 to 3 bags of dog poo when I get home.

At least seeing this has put a stop to neighbours ringing my door bell and complaining about dog poo on the green. Happened a bit after we moved in. However, my dogs are never outside the house/garden without supervision.

Unfortunately there are people in our estate who never walk their dogs, but let them onto the green after dark...

I buy my bags in the Eurosaver Shops. 200 for €1.50!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

Same old same old old story.
    Like many posters we have poopy bags everywhere,never leave the house without them :).
    Its a pain in the neck sometimes if there are no bins along the roads where you are walking but there really is no excuse.
    These people who don't pick up aftertheir dogs,I simply do not understand them.
    Have they never stepped in doggy poo-poo?.
    Do they not know how bloody awful it is when you do step in it?, or your kids step in it or your pooch steps in it?.
    It honestly bewilders me:confused:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My 5 year old picked up dog poo in our estate yesterday, I was sickened that people bring there dogs out to poop on the great areas where the kids play

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

My 5 year old picked up dog poo in our estate yesterday, I was sickened that people bring there dogs out to poop on the great areas where the kids play

:eek::eek::eek:.
    I feel your pain. :mad: :(
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Yes, actually dog fouling is a big deal to a lot of people.
    You're an irresponsible lout who shouldn't really be in charge of an animal in public. I could mention the health hazards of your dog's **** but I doubt you'd be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Father in law caught one of his neighbours letting his dog crap on his driveway and started giving out to him to clean it up after him. The guy (retired teacher) just said that he broke no law, and walked off.

Very surprised he let him off with it as I call him ALF, Angry Little Fvcker!

Someone should gather up a load of dog crap, wrap it in newspaper, put it on this guys doorstep, light the paper, ring doorbell and run!

Yes, actually dog fouling is a big deal to a lot of people.
    You're an irresponsible lout who shouldn't really be in charge of an animal in public. I could mention the health hazards of your dog's **** but I doubt you'd be interested.

Take it easy. There's far greater problems facing this country and the world than "dog fouling". You don't know how lucky you are.

But what would I know, I'm an "irresponsible lout". Someone off the internet said it, so it must be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

For whoever said let them s**t on the grass and not on paths???Im sure you wouldnt want a child to sit or fall in it?or get it on the hands which is what happened to my son...Its horrible....If you have a dog you should pick up their poo,,,end of

Take it easy. There's far greater problems facing this country and the world than "dog fouling". You don't know how lucky you are.

But what would I know, I'm an "irresponsible lout". Someone off the internet said it, so it must be true.

I think you're in the wrong forum!

We all know there are worse problems facing the country than dog fouling but they are not for discussion in an Animal forum.

Blogger50 wrote: »
    I think you're in the wrong forum!

We all know there are worse problems facing the country than dog fouling but they are not for discussion in an Animal forum.

I think it was appropriate given his/her comment. The name calling was simply uncalled for.

I will do my best to pick up my dog's litter from now on however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

I was in the park a few weeks ago, and when my dog pooped I went to my pocket for a poop bag, and my pocket was empty :( I wasn't sure what I was going to do, when a lady sitting on bench offered me one of hers! I picked it up and put it in the trash can. It's not that big a deal to pick it up when your equipped to do so.

I think alot of people forget to bring poop bags with them when they go out with the dog(s), which is easy to do I guess. I think the best thing anyone can do when they see people with dogs pooping is offer them a poop bag with a smile.

In my estate there is poop everywhere!! it make the act of picking up mine a bit of a joke when there are poops the size of my foot every 60 yards. But I keep doing it, hoping other people will see me doing it and start doing the same. It is disgusting, but there is little any one person can do.

If you call in to your town hall, or city hall they will give you as many poop bags as you like for free, so get enough for all the inconsiderate people you might happen across.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Father in law caught one of his neighbours letting his dog crap on his driveway and started giving out to him to clean it up after him. The guy (retired teacher) just said that he broke no law, and walked off. "

He shouldn't have. It's rare that you can witness & catch someone like that. Ni doubt he let's his dog "go " & walks off ever time ; that's 365 a year a least x how old is the dog.

He should do us all a favour and ring the litter warden.

Advertisement