Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not picking up the poos!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

Martin_94 wrote: »
    I think it was appropriate given his/her comment. The name calling was simply uncalled for.

I will do my best to pick up my dog's litter from now on however.

Great! You've been converted :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Martin_94 wrote: »
    I think it was appropriate given his/her comment. The name calling was simply uncalled for.

I will do my best to pick up my dog's litter from now on however.

The "name calling" was entirely appropriate - and accurate. By your own admission you are a litter lout - only worse because dog dirt is more disgusting to deal with, sticks to footwear, and is a health hazard.

Nevermind "doing your best". just PICK UP YOUR DOG'S SH!T or let him sh1t in your own garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Has anyone ever known of someone who has been caught and fined for this? Is it the Dog Warden or the Litter Warden who is responsible for enforcing this?

We have a few of those signs in our estate about risking a fine if you don't pick up after your dog but the estate is still covered in poo. Its awful arriving back home to see that I have managed to wheel the buggy into it and its all over the wheel. Its so hard to get out.

I agree that the lack of bins in general in our cities and towns is dreadful but the people who bag up their poo and then leave the bag behind are just as bad in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Seems to be easy for people to clean up after small medium dogs but think people with big dogs find it that but more repulsive to clean and Havint got the stomach for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Seems to be easy for people to clean up after small medium dogs but think people with big dogs find it that but more repulsive to clean and Havint got the stomach for it

Well, people who don't have the stomach for it shouldn't have big dogs. Its part of owning a dog and something that should be considered when getting one. Though if the dog is on a good quality food it shouldn't be hard to pick up. I swear our shelties are harder to pick up after than our collie crosses because the shelties get stressed easy whereas nothing phases the big dogs. And one of the crosses is fricking huge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Well I clean up back garden with a shovel and is easy but when im out I Havint the stomach for a little plastic bag picking up a heap of hot **** I go same route everyday and the dog goes in same place behind a lane Doesn't seem to bother anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

A dog owner let his dog **** in my drive way last week.i saw it happen out the top window.i let him walk off, then I picked it up followed him home(he lives in the area), waited until he went in and I emptied it onto his driveway.i know it doesn't solve the problem and I should have said something but I didn't feel like it this! time.
    I always pick it up and if I dont have a bag ill go home and get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Well I clean up back garden with a shovel and is easy but when im out I Havint the stomach for a little plastic bag picking up a heap of hot **** I go same route everyday and the dog goes in same place behind a lane Doesn't seem to bother anyone

Is the poo solid? I don't see the problem in picking it up if its a nice solid poo but if its all soggy and mushy I can see why you wouldn't. You still should but I can see why. If its always mushy I would look at what you are feeding the dog. The only time I don't pick up is when my Logan backs up somewhere I can't get to. He likes going where people can't see him, most of the time it just means he backs up so we can't see his bum but sometimes he finds a bush and goes to the most inaccessible place and goes there. I figure if I can't reach it, nobody can. Though I try to stop him before he does that, I don't always notice that he's not just sniffing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Who picks up guide dogs poo??? Lets all be angry at blind people :mad: *rabble rabble*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Guide dogs are trained not to toilet when they are working as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Who picks up guide dogs poo??? Lets all be angry at blind people :mad: *rabble rabble*

They are trained to pick up after themselves;

dog-poop1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bunny&spoon

we also carry poo bags everywhere with us but as others have said there are very few bins around our town! its over half a mile between us leaving our house and reaching the first bin. usually end up carrying two or three bags before we reach the bin.

Out walking the 2 boys today and walked passed a man while his dog was pooing, he was ignoring the dog so we asked did he want a bag twice and he just walked on as if we werent even there :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭nadey

who picks up the horse poop

i do see the garda on horse and the horse takes a huge poop

who's suppose to pick that up????

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I usually try to get my dog to poop in the back garden before we go for walks because there are absolutely no bins in my local park. I'm happy to clean up her poop, but not carry it around with me for the next two hours tyvm. Luckily she's quite private and particular, and usually goes under a bush somewhere if she needs to poo while we're out walking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

We walk in two parks - 90& of the time it's the one beside us which is Dublin CC/Corpo. The other times we drive to a much nicer/bigger one that's Fingal. Our park is wrecked - poo and rubbish and broken glass all over the place - 4 bins left as the rest were taken away. The other park is spotless and bins everywhere. I think another factor is the lovely park is beside an apartment complex with a lot of non-nationals - they don't wreck the place like the brats/scumbags in our park! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Can honestly say i don't have that problem, my 2 have been taught to use the gravel pen we've built them in the back garden and before their lead goes on they are let out the back and use the pen and again when we return. We can then walk for a couple of hours with me knowing that they aren't going to mess outside and inconvenience any one else. I simply have to clean up the gravel rather than the grass so much easier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Nettekee

I am so frustrated at those non pickers up of poos, only last night out for our regular walk around park west area, my dog was off lead which is fine in the area, I was walking ahead and she runs up to me covered in poo - not her own - for whatever reason she had decided she wanted to roll in another dogs poo!! :(:(. She is a cavachon with very soft hair as opposed to fur, I nearly vommitted as I washed lumps of poo out of her hair when we got home. DISGUSTED at the other dog owners in the area that don't pick up their dog poo.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

nadey wrote: »
    who picks up the horse poop

i do see the garda on horse and the horse takes a huge poop

who's suppose to pick that up????

ha ha - I had my nephew in town one day when he was about 2 or 3 and the garda horses were on Henry Street. As we passed one of the horses dropped a poo and the little guy looks on in astonishment and then reached up to tap the garda on the foot to tell him very seriously that his horse had done a poo and would he clean it up please? Garda couldn't stop laughing at him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Not enough bins, that's for sure. In London, it used to be really bad for mess on the streets. Now, most if not all boroughs have doggy bins, special spaces put aside for dogs, and will even supply free poo bags*. Shame the same doesn't happen here, which I suppose is down to lack of funds.

Totally agree with this.

I rang the CoCo and even had to lobby my local TD to get a bloody bin put in the local park, not just for poop but for everything as there was none, not one ZERO.

Eventually they put one in, but most of the time it was left to overflow and of course the usual feckers putting their municipal waste didn’t help matters.

However, since the "downturn" the bin has been removed. What a joke.

Recently I had the misfortune to have a conversation with one of the lazy lazy heavily unionised CoCo workers who was up in the park one morning twiddling about and I asked him WTF they took the bins away. He moaned and groaned about the fact that he didn’t think they should have to empty bins with stinky dog poop in the first place.

Hey, sorry mate but there are tons of things in my job I don’t want to do but I don’t think I have a choice and by the way – bins are not for rose petals.

Chinasea wrote: »

Recently I had the misfortune to have a conversation with one of the lazy lazy heavily unionised CoCo workers who was up in the park one morning twiddling about and I asked him WTF they took the bins away. He moaned and groaned about the fact that he didn’t think they should have to empty bins with stinky dog poop in the first place.
    He's dead right. It's your dog, and it's your mess. Dump it in your own big.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

By that regard then we should remove public bins altogether, all rubbish is someone's mess so they should all take it home to their own bins.

I don't get why anyone wouldn't pick up after their own dog, I always do, even if it's messy, I try.

I had some woman yell across the road at me 'I hope you're going to clean that!!!!' (I was standing waiting for one of my dogs to finish, with a bag over my hand). I just gave her a 'wtf' look and said 'I always do'.
    Bit my tongue from telling her I hoped she was going to cut the large hedge outside her house that takes up more than half the pathway!

They have signs on our road about being fined if you don't clean up. To be honest they really should supply bins at least if they want to encourage less responsible people to clean up.

If there's no bin around, I'll always take my bags home to our bin.

star-pants wrote: »
    By that regard then we should remove public bins altogether, all rubbish is someone's mess so they should all take it home to their own bins.
    That's pretty much the way things are going. Where you have a public bin, it gets used by people who want to avoid paying for their own domestic waste.

To be honest they really should supply bins at least if they want to encourage less responsible people to clean up.
    Do we really have the money to 'encourage' people to clean up? We need to make it socially unacceptable to leave dog poop behind. We need to call out people who do this, and shame them into compliance.
    If there's no bin around, I'll always take my bags home to our bin.
    Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Supposedly alot of people in Buenos Aires have dogs. My parents were on holidays there years ago - the city was full of people walking their dogs, dog walkers with a huge number of dogs on leads, and yes, you guessed - dog crap everywhere! They don't pick up at all!

Did a quick google.

A Major looking for a re-election:
    http://www.discoverbuenosaires.com/buenos-aires-dog-poop

“Buenos Aires has been called the ‘Paris of South America’ many times, and while that is flattering in many respects, it’s time we end the dog excrement aspect of that comparison once and for all. Argentina added new holidays to the calendar last year to help promote tourism, but let’s go a step further and give tourists and expats one less thing to complain about when they come to our great city. As for our residents, we will end over 650 hospital visits per year by people who slip on dog poop, save on water by allowing building encargados to clean their sidewalks less frequently, and improve the overall smell of the city in the summertime.”

In another article:
    http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/americas/argentina/111205/argentina-dog-lovers-middle-class

"For now, the city government of Buenos Aires has a more putrid problem on its hands: dog poop all over the sidewalks.
    The government estimates that dogs leave 35,000 kilograms of poop on sidewalks per day, according to Clarin. Although there is a law on the books allowing owners to be fined up to 240 pesos ($57) for not picking up after their pets, the fine is rarely enforced.
    It’s often impractical for the city to collect the small fines. Though some dog owners carry a plastic bag to pick up after their pets, they’re a small minority.
    But should the government ever succeed in convincing Argentines to clean up after their pets, it might just prove to be more good news for the pet care industry. After all, there’s a whole line of products designed to help scoop up poop."

I am sure if some tourists were to walk along the beautiful canal near me they wouldn't come back again. The government/county council should be doing more IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

I think I'm totally losing the plot today. I always have bags with me when we go out,the are normally in all jackets , handbags etc.
    Today we were heading out,checked my pockets no bags.
    Went to get some and the doorbell went,answered it talked for a couple of minutes then put the lead on and away we went.
    The furface went about her business when we were about a mile away from the house,no problem except when I went for the bags :eek: no bags forgot to put them in my pocket.
    Nothing I could do then we finished our walk however when we went home I got in the car with a bag and went back and picked it up.
    Is this totally over the top?.
    Its just that I have had so much expierence of walking in the stuff I couldn't in all honestly leave it there.
    So totally do-lally or what?. :o:)

Perhaps, but perhaps not. How come other countries a lot poorer than ours :rolleyes:always had bins but we can't. My point was really more aimed at the mismanagment of CoCo workers and indeed their supervisiors etc.

I firmly believe that we should have a bin in a park. Not too much to ask for imo. I will gladly pay the €100 household charge etc., but I want a bin.

Perhaps, but perhaps not. How come other countries a lot poorer than ours :rolleyes:always had bins but we can't.
    There are few countries poorer than us at the moment. But regardless, perhaps they choose to spend less on basic services like health, education, and propping up bankrupt banks.
    My point was really more aimed at the mismanagment of CoCo workers and indeed their supervisiors etc.
    Yes, I could see that. It was a cheap shot at a junior staff member who has no influence over the issue you raised.
    I firmly believe that we should have a bin in a park. Not too much to ask for imo. I will gladly pay the €100 household charge etc., but I want a bin.
    You can believe all you like. You don't have a monopoly of thought on this matter.

Yes, I could see that. It was a cheap shot at a junior staff member who has no influence over the issue you raised.

no cheap shot - no junior staff hired of late in the CoCo.

I am referring to the particular crew that I have come across in my area - heavily unionised, would give Rab C Nesbitt a run for his money, not sure if you ever saw the scene on one of his shows where he is in the park as a CoCo worker where he and his colleagues declare they "wana skive, skive and skive". Those types, thems the ones I have a problem with.

Anyway, you don't think there should be civic bins - I do. Simple as.

no cheap shot - no junior staff hired of late in the CoCo.
    Correct - but there are a lot of junior staff still in place, from before the embargo.
    I am referring to the particular crew that I have come across in my area - heavily unionised, would give Rab C Nesbitt a run for his money, not sure if you ever saw the scene on one of his shows where he is in the park as a CoCo worker where he and his colleagues declare they "wana skive, skive and skive". Those types, thems the ones I have a problem with.
    I've no idea how you can tell the union status or otherwise of a person by looking at them. I guess that's more down to your own personal prejudices that anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

St Annes Park has recently ( in the past 2 weeks) Removed a further two bins.
    Now, for a 20 or 30 acre park, there is a gaggle of steel drum bins around picnic tables at the playground, and one a twenty minute walk away at the duck pond. And that's it. All the rest are now gone.

It is a disgrace.

The park is steadily filling with broken bottles, crisp & soft drink bottles, energy bar wrappers, discarded coffee cups & all kinds of other crap: including dog crap bags tossed into undergrowth.
    And of course it's no-ones job to pick any of this up; ever; once it's on the ground.
    All this while the council workers lean on shovels, chat for hours amongst themselves while doing seeet FA, or speed along the footpaths and tear up the grass churning through it at top speed on wet days to take shortcuts.
    And yes I walk there now most days; it's the same shoddy mess every time .

I'm sick of hearing how we can do nothing and provide for nothing yet I work for two weeks of every four to pay tax & stealth tax to pay for public services.

I consider a few bins a basic requirement.

And with all the constant whinging and whittering on about health & safety ; and why nothing in this country seems to be able to be done because of it; a few bl**dy bins is not too much to expect.

And yes, I do find it offensive to have to walk with a bag of sh1t for an hour an a half or so every day because the staff in the council have decided to take the bins away. But I do it.

But I'm not surprised when I see people pretending not to see their dog " go".

If you re outraged at all the mess instead of posting only here why not ring your council or better still write; ask for the county manager ; not the larks who ate just saving work for themselves; and get the local county manager to put back the bins .

( thank you !)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

O. And while I'm raging!
    Every dog owner has a responsibility to pick up after their pet; EVERY time, every day; regardless of where it goes, how often it goes or what size dog it is.

Small dogs sh*^ is just as dirty and disgusting; and I am tired of people with perfectly groomed and coated dogs who refuse to pick up after their princesses .

I am also tired of dredging other dirty peoples pets s^*+ off my shoes, throwing out unusable car mats from where I havn't noticed in time ; or having to clean "your" sh*t off my dogs feet before we can enter my house. Or worse; having to throw away balls or leave toys because they have bounced or landed in it; and my clean dog will then refuse to ever touch them again.

If you have a dog
    You have to pick up after it.

If you 're not ; then mind; because someone like me who is totally fed up will take your reg, and report you.

I think my neighbour who let her dog out every day to sh*^ on the street is still paying off the fine she got . Lying is all very easy; but most people have iPhones or cameraphones these days.

Advertisement