Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not picking up the poos!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 wetfish

Chinasea wrote: »
    no cheap shot - no junior staff hired of late in the CoCo.

I am referring to the particular crew that I have come across in my area - heavily unionised, would give Rab C Nesbitt a run for his money, not sure if you ever saw the scene on one of his shows where he is in the park as a CoCo worker where he and his colleagues declare they "wana skive, skive and skive". Those types, thems the ones I have a problem with.

Anyway, you don't think there should be civic bins - I do. Simple as.

I don't know this 'particular crew' and whether they are unionised or not....but I do read your prejudice to them and I don't find it acceptable to cast your view onto the rest of us. They are about as junior as one gets in the county council and certainly would have no hand act or part in forming policy, yet you quote them as though they are management.

Did you even consider that the 'worker' had sized you up and was stuffing you with information that may inflame you?

We should focus on people not cleaning up after their dog and not on someone's view of junior staff workers. As you say, simple as!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

wetfish wrote: »
    We should focus on people not cleaning up after their dog and not on someone's view of junior staff workers. As you say, simple as!

Agreed, but:

I live in the Dun Laoghaire Rathdown CoCo and am appalled at the inherent indolent attitude that many (not all) of these workers have. I can only speak for the borough I live in.

Because I simply ‘care’ I don’t just sit there moaning. I am a proactive civic minded person who despairs having spoken, written phoned the CoCo many times. The supervisors are terrified to serve any kind of ruling on the (and I won't mince my words) the yobos (not all) that work in the CoCo.

Many of these guys are locals, who feel they are owed a cushy job in the CoCo. They have pulled every stroke they can, they are untouchable. The supervisor has told me when he has tried to discipline them he is threatened with “their” solicitors. Their work ethic stinks.

I am 100% prejudice against work ethics like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Guys if ye want to discuss workers of the County Council or other places, take it elsewhere please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thank god for the roll of bags in my walking belt - I don't normally use them because they're a bit thin and worse SILVER :rolleyes: but they saved me earlier - I got caught in a really heavy shower and the rain ran down my jacket and soaked my shorts and pockets - I put my phone in a poo bag to save it from getting wet! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I remember bringing the pup for her first walk in the woods and I told my mom to grab a bag for poo.. she came back with one of the Dunnes 'bag for life' thick plastic carrier bag! I don't know what she was expecting to come out of the poor pup :P But she point blank refuses to poo/pee on walks, even if she is bursting she still gets back in the car and holds it till we get home, then she legs it out onto the lawn and looks so happy with herself! I always make sure to carry a bag though, because the one day I don't have one will be the day she decides to break the tradition of never relieving herself on a walk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Agreed, but:

I live in the Dun Laoghaire Rathdown CoCo and am appalled at the inherent indolent attitude that many (not all) of these workers have. I can only speak for the borough I live in.

Because I simply ‘care’ I don’t just sit there moaning. I am a proactive civic minded person who despairs having spoken, written phoned the CoCo many times. The supervisors are terrified to serve any kind of ruling on the (and I won't mince my words) the yobos (not all) that work in the CoCo.

Many of these guys are locals, who feel they are owed a cushy job in the CoCo. They have pulled every stroke they can, they are untouchable. The supervisor has told me when he has tried to discipline them he is threatened with “their” solicitors. Their work ethic stinks.

I am 100% prejudice against work ethics like this

Something stinks about this story. First the attack is aimed as the supposed lazy staff, but not at the lazy managers who are supposedly failing to manage. Second, unionised workers would not be threatening their solicitors in workplace disputes - they would be threatening to bring in their union.

You definitely have 100% prejudice all right - but it's not aimed at work ethics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

If you want the CoCo to address your request for bins, do it on their website or in person, the people here, much like your man in your story can't do a lot to help you. In the mean time maybe consider bringing a larger poop bag for all the little ones you might have to pick up on your way in the absence of litter boxes this would be your best option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭MrReynholm

Guys if you want to get something done by your local County Council, the best bet is to just get in contact with a councillor. They're generally eager to help, boost their perception in the area and add to their list of things they've done for use at election time.

MrReynholm wrote: »
    Guys if you want to get something done by your local County Council, the best bet is to just get in contact with a councillor. They're generally eager to help, boost their perception in the area and add to their list of things they've done for use at election time.

Yep, that does seem to work. Shame that the obvious though, has to be brought about by the public lobbying, emailing phoning, and then the CoCo are hindered at every corner by the moaning workers who don't want to empty them.

We should have bins. It is not too much to expect. As I said I am glad to pay my €100 household charge if only we could have a frigg*n bin in the park. Actually, I am surprised the country is not even filthier then it is - but there again there are a few civic minded PROACTIVE people around.

Got off a bus in the middle of the 'outbacks' of Mexico and they had bins.

. Second, unionised workers would not be threatening their solicitors in workplace disputes - they would be threatening to bring in their union.

I have a feeling this will fall on deaf ears, but I can only report what the supervisors has told me. The union will only (to my knowledge) back someone up if they are for the most doing their job.

• Advertisement

Yep, that does seem to work. Shame that the obvious though, has to be brought about by the public lobbying, emailing phoning, and then the CoCo are hindered at every corner by the moaning workers who don't want to empty them.
    Of course, the workers don't want to empty them. Who in the right mind would want to be handling a bin full the brim of week-old dog poo, with a layer of the nice warm soft stuff on the top? It's a horrible job.

However, it is nonsense to suggest that 'moaning workers' stop the councils from implementing this or other policies. You are taking the easy, cheap shot at those at the very bottom of the chain. Save your ire for the Director of Services who actually gets to make the decisions on these things.

We should have bins. It is not too much to expect. As I said I am glad to pay my €100 household charge if only we could have a frigg*n bin in the park. Actually, I am surprised the country is not even filthier then it is - but there again there are a few civic minded PROACTIVE people around.
    It's easy to pick out one item like bins. However, councils have thousands of demands on their services, and have to balance all those competing demands. They are applying the 'polluter pays' principal that underlies all of our waste disposal policies. But you seem to want to ignore this fact and blame the poor guy who empties the bins instead - nice.

Got off a bus in the middle of the 'outbacks' of Mexico and they had bins.
    So go walk your dog in Mexico.
    I have a feeling this will fall on deaf ears, but I can only report what the supervisors has told me. The union will only (to my knowledge) back someone up if they are for the most doing their job.
    You could do a bit more than reporting what you are told. You could keep your brain engaged and think things through. You could, for example, have a think about how likely it is that an entry level council operative could afford to engage an employment solicitor for a routine matter like this.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

star-pants wrote: »
    Guys if ye want to discuss workers of the County Council or other places, take it elsewhere please.

Have the last 4 users decided to completely ignore this mod warning???Ill be issuing infractions if this continues.

You could do a bit more than reporting what you are told. You could keep your brain engaged and think things through. .

we don't respond at this point to rudeness.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I noticed a lot of people tie the poo-filled bags to the railings around trees in the Phoenix Park. There's a lack of bins yes, and it is appreciated that owners have removed the waste from the path, but I don't think hanging it in plastic from a tree is a good option either... I suppose if you automatically clean it up and then realise you've no where to put it, carrying it around isn't a favoured option, especially if you don't walk the main routes. If the parks don't want people filling the bins with household waste and thus reduce the number of bins, they should at least install small bins specifically for dog waste.

Twee. wrote: »
    I noticed a lot of people tie the poo-filled bags to the railings around trees in the Phoenix Park. There's a lack of bins yes, and it is appreciated that owners have removed the waste from the path, but I don't think hanging it in plastic from a tree is a good option either... I suppose if you automatically clean it up and then realise you've no where to put it, carrying it around isn't a favoured option, especially if you don't walk the main routes. If the parks don't want people filling the bins with household waste and thus reduce the number of bins, they should at least install small bins specifically for dog waste.

Do they come back for them or just leave them there? Leaving them is horrible! Somebody I know balances the bag on a tree while the dogs play and then collects it when we walk on. Or sometimes we all throw the bags in a pile and then when we leave bring them with us - I don't like doing this because there's always a marker who comes along and drowns the bags! :P

we don't respond at this point to rudeness.

Is this the royal 'we'?

tk123 wrote: »
    Do they come back for them or just leave them there? Leaving them is horrible! Somebody I know balances the bag on a tree while the dogs play and then collects it when we walk on. Or sometimes we all throw the bags in a pile and then when we leave bring them with us - I don't like doing this because there's always a marker who comes along and drowns the bags! :P

No the ones I've seen look like they've been there a while :eek: I'm sure some people pick them up on the way back, but a lot would walk in a circle rather than double back, so some are definitely left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

Approach owner with a friendly demeanor; chat about the dogs "Oh have you used your pooh bag and he's at it again, I have a spare here".

Hand her one and wait while she gets more and more uncomfortable and eventually does the business.

Wave good bye "be seeing you here again I suppose".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

The problem with picking up and binning excrement, whether in a park bin or in your own bin, is that it is just being sent to landfill where many of the same health risks to just leaving it where it dropped apply. And you have just added a wasted plastic bag to our landfill problem.

I do pick up my dog's crap (I try to get them to go in the garden where I can flush it in the outside toilet) but without proper dog waste only bins, where the waste is taken for proper treatment rather than just dumped, and the exclusive use of chemical free biodegradable bags, we're all just kidding ourselves if we think we are doing anything more than shifting the problem from one area to another, and not actually making things that bit worse in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Coriander

Some councils (our own included) dispose of leachate from treatment plants at landfill and I can only imagine how many disposable nappies end up there - I wouldn't worry too much about where the used poo bags end up.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    The problem with picking up and binning excrement, whether in a park bin or in your own bin, is that it is just being sent to landfill where many of the same health risks to just leaving it where it dropped apply.

Except that you don't usually get kids playing in landfill, or buggy owners pushing their kids through landfill, or wheelchair users pushing themselves through landfill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Except that you don't usually get kids playing in landfill, or buggy owners pushing their kids through landfill, or wheelchair users pushing themselves through landfill.

Sending excrement to landfill is a serious environmental issue and ignoring that while patting ourselves on the back for doing so is counter productive. Tying poop into a plastic bag and sending it to landfill is very likely to be worse long term than allowing it to biodegrade naturally, which is inarguably bad.

As for children not playing in landfill, well I'm not sure about the Irish system but in the UK it isn't that uncommon for household rubbish to be shipped to countries like China where lowpaid workers, including children, go to work sorting through the rubbish, as much as 4% of which is plastic bags full of old undecomposed dog faeces. That's unimaginably worse than a kid here falling in poop or me rolling my buggy through it.

All we are doing when we bag and bin our dog crap is shipping the problem out of sight. While making it that bit worse in the process. It's not a nice reality. We all like to think about how even though it's unpleasant we are being good responsible citizens. But the reality is that we aren't making anything better and until we are willing to face that reality no real solution will ever come about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Coriander

Even flushing the poo down the toilet means some of it (in the eventual leachate) goes to landfill. While i agree that biodegradable poo bags only should be used, at the end of the day there's no perfect solution except not having a dog in the first place!

I was ready to ask somebody today 'do you need a bag' but they were too far ahead of me and left the park before I could catch up!! Next time I'll be guns blazing lol! I need a megaphone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

I was walking my dog and seen an other owner of a dog witness her dog doing the business then she walked off without picking it up, I picked it up myself and followed her and handed the bag to her. I just said to her your dog dropped something back there, then i walked off without saying anything else or waiting for a reply. she was very red faced it was funny to see so shocked

5591748022_27a85f3fa1_b.jpg

:eek:Wowzers!! Looks like the problem isn't isolated to Ireland! :D

iguana wrote: »
    Sending excrement to landfill is a serious environmental issue and ignoring that while patting ourselves on the back for doing so is counter productive. Tying poop into a plastic bag and sending it to landfill is very likely to be worse long term than allowing it to biodegrade naturally, which is inarguably bad.

As for children not playing in landfill, well I'm not sure about the Irish system but in the UK it isn't that uncommon for household rubbish to be shipped to countries like China where lowpaid workers, including children, go to work sorting through the rubbish, as much as 4% of which is plastic bags full of old undecomposed dog faeces. That's unimaginably worse than a kid here falling in poop or me rolling my buggy through it.

All we are doing when we bag and bin our dog crap is shipping the problem out of sight. While making it that bit worse in the process. It's not a nice reality. We all like to think about how even though it's unpleasant we are being good responsible citizens. But the reality is that we aren't making anything better and until we are willing to face that reality no real solution will ever come about.
    You could make that argument about pretty much anything that goes to landfill. Better in landfill than on the pavement or the paths in the park or the grass verges.

Dropping on the passenger seat of the Merc convertible is good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

tk123 wrote: »
    :eek:Wowzers!! Looks like the problem isn't isolated to Ireland! :D

I'd love to know what they're saying. Was in stitches at the end, I'd say she was well pee'd off! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 wetfish

You could make that argument about pretty much anything that goes to landfill. Better in landfill than on the pavement or the paths in the park or the grass verges.

Dropping on the passenger seat of the Merc convertible is good too.

+1. :o

Advertisement