Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Franchise reboots you'd love to see.

Options
  • 25-06-2012 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭

Capcom are fair mad to be rebooting a franchise that only started 10 years ago (not that long..maybe it's a 10 year anniversary thing, I don't know :P)

But there are a number of franchises I'd love to see get rebooted but not get ruined (eg: Bomberman: Act Zero)

Dynasty Warriors: Since it has been the same game pretty much since DW2. But it's mainly because I'd love the story to be told a different, new and bold way, I'd love a darker tone, and a bit more violence. I reckon it would be unreal. Dreams may happen, and I'm a massive DW fan.

Wolf of the Battlefield/Commando: I only ever played MERCS and WotB: Commando 3, but It'd be interesting to see what they could do if they re-did those games to fit today's generation of shooters (3rd person or 1st person).

Army Men: I remember playing Sarge's Heroes years ago on PS1. I played it again sometime last year and it doesn't seem to have aged well. I'd love to see that franchise get rebooted.

Micro Machines: I'm all for either/or. Either they bring those classics to the XBLA/PSN, remake them into HD-versions, or reboot them as a fresh new batch of MM games. I loved playing them as a child.

Road Rash: Same as before, I'd accept if they brought it to the XBLA/PSN but I'd love to see a remake/reboot of those games. I'd say it would be a bit pointless but I can dream, I suppose. Probably my favourite games on the Megadrive.

Monster Hunter: Probably the first online-RPG game I played on PS2 and loved it so much, but then they brought out sequels on various consoles and never stuck with the same system. I never got to play Monster Hunter 2 because it was released only in Japan. And I never got to play MH3 because it was thrown onto the Wii. And now they're making a Monster Hunter 4 and it's gonna be only for N3DS.

Those are all I can think of at the moment but I might throw in more if any come to my head. But I'm interested to see what other franchises people would like to see come back.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭omerin

A decent effort at Spyhunter and Ikari Warriors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Micro Machines & Road Rash would be cool if done properly.

To add to the list, I would love to see a reboot of Syphon Filter. The first one or 2 were great games, but they got fairly poor as they went on. But a current-gen reboot would be great.

I'd also like to see Medievil, Destruction Derby & Dino Crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

System Shock series and Ultima Underworld series - Imagine them being redone with next-gen graphics? Mmmmm....

Wouldn't mind a proper reboot of Syndicate either, but keep it like the original - don't shoe-horn it into an FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

A new Dungeon Keeper based around the mechanics from the first game and not the 2nd which was god awful

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

A 2D hi-defination Turrican for me please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Another World/Flashback.

Anyone remember the third person game of this series on the ps1? It was crap as hell, but I loved it.

So yeah would like to see this series redone....booted...whatever the cool kids are saying now.

I'm not saying I'd like them as fps's's, probably a hd collection would suit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭SpiceWeasel

A new version of Descent would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Legacy of Kain
    Onimusha
    Wild Arms (heard the recent PSP games are fairly naff)
    Breath of Fire
    Guardian Heroes (guess Dragons Crown will have to suffice for now)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Timesplitters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Battlezone !

could even see it working ok with console controllers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

chin_grin wrote: »
    Another World/Flashback.

Anyone remember the third person game of this series on the ps1? It was crap as hell, but I loved it.

So yeah would like to see this series redone....booted...whatever the cool kids are saying now.

I'm not saying I'd like them as fps's's, probably a hd collection would suit me.

Fade to Black?

Not so much a reboot, but I would like to see Ubisoft continue their 2008 reboot of Prince of Persia. Didn't go over to well with people but I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Dino Crisis, definitely, using the Dino Crisis 2 formula. Easily one of the best third person arcade shooters ever made. A ton of cool weapons to use against a variety of dinos. It's too bad the franchise is under Crapcom so we'll more than likely never see it. I haven't played the third but read it was an abomination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Final Fantasy, in the sense that they reboot it from this modern rubbish back to even style of the PS1 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Rampart - Great little arcade strategy title (yes, such a thing exists!) would go down well on a handheld with an online mode.

They already did a re-boot of SpyHunter btw : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spy_Hunter:_Nowhere_to_Run_(video_game)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

baulders gate (not done by bioware :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

love to see a new Medieval with the main man himself, Sir Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Normally one would get sick of repeating this is similar threads over the last couple of years, but not in this case!

Legacy of Kain

I'm going to keep saying it until they do!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Normally one would get sick of repeating this is similar threads over the last couple of years, but not in this case!

Legacy of Kain

I'm going to keep saying it until they do!!!

Don't think you'll have long to wait if recent rumours are to be believed.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/20/rumour-crystal-dynamics-working-on-soul-reaver-reboot/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Don't think you'll have long to wait if recent rumours are to be believed.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/20/rumour-crystal-dynamics-working-on-soul-reaver-reboot/

Gah, stupid work has me blocked!! What does it say? WHAT DOES IT SAY?!?!?!?!? *mumbles to self*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Gah, stupid work has me blocked!! What does it say? WHAT DOES IT SAY?!?!?!?!? *mumbles to self*

Not much really.
    VG24/7 wrote:

Crystal Dynamics is working on a reboot of “Soul Reaver,” VG247 has been told.

Details are anorexic, but our source has claimed the game is a full reworking of the vampire action classic, and includes a new art direction.

We have been previously told the project was aiming for a reveal this year – possibly at E3 – but new information has warned this may not be accurate.

It’s unclear where the new game will lie in the IP, and whether or not Raziel or Kain will lead. The series itself is Legacy of Kain; Kain is a noble murdered and revived as a vampire who embarks on a crusade to kill his assassins and be restored to human form.

The protagonist of Soul Reaver – the sequel to the series’s first title, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, which released in 1996 for PlayStation – is vampire-turned-wraith Raziel.

Soul Reaver – released in 1999 for PlayStation and PC, with a Dreamcast version following in 2000 – was a much-loved action adventure, and spawned a direct sequel in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2 for PS2 and PC in 2001.

Two more games followed: Blood Omen 2: Legacy of Kain in 2002 and Legacy of Kain: Defiance for PS2, Xbox and PC in 2003.

Aside from some PSN releases, the series has been dormant ever since.

Crystal Dynamics is currently working on Square’s Tomb Raider reboot for release later this year. The studio has also confirmed it’s readying to announced a new IP in 2012. We’ve been told today this is an XBLA game.

We’ve reached out to Square Enix for comment, but no reply had been received at the time of writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

Ty the Tasmanian Tiger! Loved that on PS2 :o Maybe a new Tony Hawks Underground with the Jackass crew even :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

I'd love a new Timesplitters too.

And a hd xbla/psn remake of Return Fire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭FullRetard

omerin wrote: »
    Ikari Warriors
    oh yeah
    never could get it to work on the emulators

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Chase HQ!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Dear LucasArts:

make a new complicated flight-sim Star Wars game in the vein of TIE Fighter and I will buy the super-special deluxe edition.
    Instantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Not so much a franchise but a Rare styled game like Banjo Kazooie or Donkey Kong 64 I would love to see again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 MarkusBrady

It would be awesome if we got some new Call of Cthulhu games. Those were pretty great

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Good few mentioned already, but here's mine anyway:

Dungeon keeper
    Road rash
    Micro machines
    Dune 2
    Gorky 18
    Army man
    Destruction derby 2

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Something with the CPS2 Alien Versus Predator beat em up license. I don't know what, but something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

A lot of Japanese made games need some western influence in their games, I would love to see Tenchu, Streets of Rage, Dynasty Warriors, Lost Planet and many more getting a makeover.

Advertisement