Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbours have deserted dog for a month...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

That is the saddest thing; I was sick when I went back and clicked through to the second of the three photos . I was imagining a small balcony & giving the " benefit" but I was sick when I saw the space barely three foot long with only room to turn and rubbish & scrap piled high on the rest of the balcony. No matter where you're from you know that is wrong & abnormal.

That dog is SO LUCKY it had you & you GF; thank you so much for your interest & what you did.

To focus them on the seriousness of what they did might I strongly suggest that you tell the " shocked friend" to advise them that you have reported them to " the authorities" and that they will Ne investigated when they return to Ireland.
    That should focus their attention snd if nothing might cause them concern enough to never do anything like it again.
    Least if all ; disrupt ( hopefully ruin) their month long holiday.

I'm so Shocked that there are people out there like this. ( & living themselves in such lovely conditions; they got that right)

Thank you for your compassion & doing the difficult thing for little Jakester.

Happy ever after to him : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I am so relieved they do not want this dog back - I was actually terrified they might get smart and demand her back and the poor little thing "disappeared" or something. This is a brilliant outcome. Now she will get the home she deserves - thats made my day!:)

I would keep that text and forward it to the DSPCA. They have put in writing the intention to commit an illegal act.

Also I wonder would this whole episode be enough for a prosecution? One case on Animal A&E - tv3 - (whereby a mastiff, a springer and a pup were seized from a yard as they had no proper shelter) was taken to court. The owner was fined and while the conditions these dogs were in were bad - they werent as bad as in this case.

I think the DSPCA have enough to follow this up. At the very least they should speak to them and give them a good dressing down. I would also get the dog properly signed over to yourselves (although the text should cover any future messing?) just to be safe.

Well this is just brilliant now! And just like everybody I think yourself and your girlfriend are simply the best:)

Thank you both for standing up for this little dog and ensuring she gets the life of love, happiness and the best of care she deserves. She must think she is in doggy heaven right now!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Great thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

jimmy and your girlfriend, you are legends. that dog is the luckiest wee doggie in the world to have you guys for neighbours. there's a lot of people that would turn the other way and you'd well up at the thought of what she might have gone through had she been living by people not so civic-minded and not animal lovers.

i would also vote for showing that text to the spca, maybe even the guards? is the admission to the intent to carry out a criminal act the same as actually carrying it out i wonder? i'm assuming that leaving a dog in those conditions and intending to dump it out on the street if it hadn't passed away by the time they got home is a criminal act :mad:

also - the name Jake for a girl rocks, love the story behind it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

I have such a big stupid grin on my face after reading that.

Fair play Jimmy, no dog deserves to be left the way it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Thanks again :)

I said in my last post that our dog and cat are still trying to adjust, and it's still tough. The two dogs are female, and thus are both trying to compete a lot for attention and dominance. Poor Jake is terrified of our cat Oscar, who is usually the most placid cat in the world, but is very quick to throw a claw at Jake.

Anyways, my girlfriend left yesterday to volunteer in an orphanage overseas until early August, which leaves me in charge until then. It's not easy with a full time job, training, and the three animals.

There is a possibility that Jake might not be suited to our household :( If the tension with the animals continues, we will have to look at re-homing the poor thing. It breaks my heart to say it, as she's been rejected already.
    I'm just wondering if it does come to that, would there be any interest from Boardsies who might want a dog?

This is how she seems so far:

- Unbelievably happy and affectionate
    - Medium size dog, but strong and weighty for her size
    - Incredibly energetic
    - Very easy to walk, little-to-no pulling
    - Not house-trained (yet at least)
    - Needs a home with at least a back garden, preferably country-side with big gardens and/or fields. She isn't an apartment dog.
    - Seems very young - has the daft energy of a puppy. Also does the silly nibbling of a pup. My girlfriend estimated she was less than a year old.

The decision hasn't been made yet, but my gut is telling me that as much as I love the dog, she isn't right for us in our current situation :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Jimmy,you've done a wonderful thing :)
    Dont feel bad that she's not suited to your household, I'm sure her next saviour is only a few posts away ;)
    Well done!

• Site Banned Posts: 46 one4on

I feel like a magnet for mistreated dogs at this stage :)

My girlfriend and I live on the top (4th) floor of our apartment building.
    The past week or so, I've been woken at 7am every morning by the dog next door going mad barking. Finally had enough yesterday morning, and went to have a word with the neighbours, but there was no reply.

We then looked over the partition between our balconies and seen this...

210293.JPG

We would estimate the dog has been there for at least a week. He is left exposed on the balcony to whatever weather we have - roasting hot or cold and wet. He is surrounded by his own waste, and his water looks to be old and yellow. He is pitifully happy when we reach across just to stroke him or let him lick our hand.

I've gone to the neighbours repeatedly, but no reply there. However, someone knocked on our door this morning asking why I was taking photos of the balcony. I informed them that not only is the dog waking us up at 7am every morning, his conditions are simply not good enough.

This woman informed me she is a friend of the apartment owner, and is looking after the dog while the family are away in the Phillippines... FOR THE NEXT MONTH. I told her that the dog's conditions are not good enough - his is being neglected, and it has to change. I said we would take him in at least temporarily.

She said she would clean up around the dog and give him a shower this evening, and is awaiting a reply from them regarding our offer.

This is partially a rant, and also I want to ask people on here what would you do in this situation? And what can we do?

I'm honestly in shock that a family would leave their dog in this tiny fenced off area, four stories up in the air, no exercise, wallowing in his own filth, lonely, no exercise.... it's ****ing pathetic.

I'd be giving the DSPCA / ISPCA a ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

Jimmy Bottlehead, I’ve put off reading your thread for days out of cowardice of reading about an animals suffering. But I’m glad I overcame that and just read it from start to finish. You’re such a brilliant person for doing what you’ve done. I hope that under no circumstances they get that sweet little dog back.

Last year I fell out with a family member for months after pointing out how badly she was treating her dog. Despite being quite well off, she refused to bring her dog to he vet and instead let it suffer. She just didn’t give a f**k. I very calmly pointed out to her that her dog was obviously suffering and would she please treat it. Well, after a lot of screaming (her) she didn’t speak to me for almost a year, and to this day there is an atmosphere between us. The good out come of this was that she was shamed into bring her dog to the vet after our discussion.

Well done again, your a great person :)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

I only found this thread today, and am so glad that Jake's future is looking brighter. Jimmy Bottlehead, you make me want to be a better person! You will definitely find a good home for Jake, whether through Boards or otherwise, I'm sure. We gave a home to a little dog that was found by another Boardsie exactly a year ago, and he has gone on to be the most gorgeous little pet...funny to think we found him just by clicking on a new thread about a dog found on Sydney Parade one morning...
    Best of luck to you, your GF and Jake!

• Advertisement

I said in my last post that our dog and cat are still trying to adjust, and it's still tough. The two dogs are female, and thus are both trying to compete a lot for attention and dominance. Poor Jake is terrified of our cat Oscar, who is usually the most placid cat in the world, but is very quick to throw a claw at Jake.

Anyways, my girlfriend left yesterday to volunteer in an orphanage overseas until early August, which leaves me in charge until then. It's not easy with a full time job, training, and the three animals.

There is a possibility that Jake might not be suited to our household :( If the tension with the animals continues, we will have to look at re-homing the poor thing. It breaks my heart to say it, as she's been rejected already.
    I'm just wondering if it does come to that, would there be any interest from Boardsies who might want a dog?

- Incredibly energetic
    - Needs a home with at least a back garden, preferably country-side with big gardens and/or fields. She isn't an apartment dog.
    - Seems very young - has the daft energy of a puppy. Also does the silly nibbling of a pup. My girlfriend estimated she was less than a year old.

The decision hasn't been made yet, but my gut is telling me that as much as I love the dog, she isn't right for us in our current situation :(

Let's hope that with all the goodwill if da Cat can't adjust to Jake, that someone will be able to help this desperate little fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

If only I had the space for a 3rd dog, I would have taken her in a heartbeat :(

Hope she finds a good home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

one4on wrote: »
    I'd be giving the DSPCA / ISPCA a ring.

How many times does the OP have to say that he already has? Is it that you'd rather shove in your own 2 cents than actually read the thread first?

Jimmy, well done, hope it all works out OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

- Incredibly energetic

Jimmy; it takes a while for dogs and cats to settle together so give them time?

Our two never totally openly gelled but they would miss each other something terrible. Collie is of course fixated on the cattle so spends hours lying by the fence; wee dog does not realise where she is and starts whining and crying for her. They still six years on will not sleep together and there can be ructions over which bed who gets. Getting them to get on with the cats is a lost cause but we are used to that now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭blue.jester

Sometimes animals get put down as a result of situations like this. Sadly the "animals" that allowed it to happen aren't the ones that get put down. God almighty myself and my girl are going away in Nov for 5 days and we already have our dog's holiday housing sorted. How can people treat a dog (particularly one that seems to just pour out friendship as this one is) like that.

Fair play to you OP. People like you restore my faith in humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭salsagal

Jimmy

As other posters have said, don't feel bad if you decide your situation isn't suitable to keeping Jake...the welfare of your other pets has to be considered too.

It might help to bear in mind though, that cats take 6-8 weeks to adjust to other animals entereing the home (so I was told by a veterinary nurse when trying to foster a kitten, alongside my own cat), so give it time. Although if Oscar stops eating then that's the sign to act immediately.

Would it help to find a neighbour/friend who might walk the dog(s) while you're at work/training? Getting Jake out of the house for a while might help calm down some of her youthful energy, and give Oscar some 'down' time.

I'd be willing to help with the occasional dog-walking, if it was feasible (pm me if you're interested in floating the idea).

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

PS I hope you're taking on board all the praise you're getting - you both deserve it for being so decent!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Jimmy, well done for stepping in and helping Jake. Who knows what would have happened to her on that balcony and, if she survived that long, when the so called owners returned.
    As you know, I'm fostering one myself at the moment, and we did have some issues with the resident dogs at first. He appeared to be taking quite a dislike to my female. However, we made sure not to let anything escalate, and things settled down. Those two are as thick as thieves now. Of course, every situation is different, and two females, cat/dog dynamics may or may not sort themselves out so smoothly.
    If you do feel that you need to rehome her, don't feel guilty in any way. It wasn't you who decided to get a dog that you wouldn't care for. You didn't leave a dog on the balcony, and you didn't threaten to chuck a dog out on the streets. Instead, you decided to step in and deal with the mess that someone else created, and fair play to you for that.
    I'm currently trying to rehome the dog that I took in. It's not easy mind, as all the rescues are under huge pressure. One could have taken him, but I decided not to send him there as their standards were somewhat questionable. I am waiting to hear back about another possible rescue space, while another rescue is now advertising him and will carry out the homechecks etc if anyone shows interest.
    As these things all take time, it might be an idea to start making enquiries now. Please send me a PM, and I can let you know, through my own recent experiences, who might be able to help

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

This whole thread is amazing. So incredible to know there are good people out there willing to step up and do the right thing! So appalled at the conditions the owners left her in though, and I'm fairly sure you're right in that they wouldn't have cared if something bad happened to her, if that's not what they'd already been planning in the first place :mad: shocking!

Best of luck in finding her a home if it doesn't work out at your place...you've more than done your part!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

FiveSive wrote: »
    Definately ring ISPCA and contact Gardai. I see cases that dont seem to be as severe and the animal is taken by ISPCA and owners can oftern be prosecuted and get a ban from owning any pets. It blatant cruelty, the photo alone is plenty of evidence for gaurds even if the mess is cleaned up.

Um. Read the thread. He has already spoken to the Gards as well as the DSPCA!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

hi just stumbled upon this, unbelievable, should be against the law!

Good on you for doing something, you should be proud of yourself. You could start a facebook page about this and you are sure to get a home for her. I am sure you could link it to the different rescues pages. I can start help to spread it around, <snip>. It is a great story, I have not heard of anything so disgusting and we should all call over to have a word with these people enmass when they return, why not, it is a free world. This should be a case for the Gardaí. Hightlight this story as most people do not know the extent of animal abuse that goes on in the country, people need to be made aware. Could you get this into your local paper?

I had a neighbour that was keeping a goat in a dog kennel in their back garden. I was tossed between the Council and the Gardaí after a lot of calls and lots of verbal abuse (from me) the goat was removed. It was a council owned house and when i looked up the detail the occupants are not allowed to keep non domestic animals. The council were even stating that it was not one of their houses, it is the only house with a council bin!!

Jimmy - How is Jake getting on? Give her a hug from me! :)

Jimmy - How is Jake getting on? Give her a hug from me! :)

Hey :)

Jake is doing great :) She's settling down a little, which is good, and the other animals are getting used to her. Her house training is still not great, but it's not easy for her when I'm out for a good part of the day during the week.

Here's a few pics from the last week or so...

Asleep beside me:

574899_10150862021806307_1871692761_n.jpg

Molly & Jake checking out Northwood Park:

295202_10150862022146307_1483120434_n.jpg

Looking quite happy!

575472_10150862022396307_1730962298_n.jpg

Terrible photo, but she looks so smily :)

211238.jpg

211239.jpg

She LOVES playing tug of war with this toy...

211241.jpg

211242.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

I’m welling up looking at those pictures of Jake. To think that someone could mistreat her is just horrifying. She looks so happy with you, I hope things work out well for you all. :):):)

Jake looks great!! And she seems quite happy playing tug 'o' war with Molly :). She's a lovely smiley dog who looks pleased with life...

Thanks for the update Jimmy - I was wondering how she was getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

So glad Jake is doing well! Can't even imagine the poor thing out on that balcony in the weather we've been having. Keep giving us updates, love to hear how she's getting on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

She looks so happy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

She looks delighted with life.

What a wonderful amazing thing you have done for her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I love that fifth picture with Jake in the background. There's something about her head tilt and smile that makes it seem as if she's thinking "Ooh, photo op! Time to up the cuteness! They love that!" Heh. Gorgeous girl.

And as scdublin said, could you imagine her out on that balcony in the weather we've been having? My God! I've been leaving a few of the old dog beds in our garden shed because I know some of the neighbourhood cats have been using it as a shelter (the dogs go ape every morning sniffing around it but you'll have that) in this bad rain. There's no way in hell I'd let an animal I owned stay out in it.

You really did such a great thing for that little dog. No wonder he looks so excited & happy; you ve changed his world !!!

All the hail & savage rain today; he would have been alone & cold & shivering with no shelter or food on a bit of balcony. You really did a miracle for him. Thank you.

Are you still thknking that he will need to go elsewhere or might that brown bag of toys in the background secretly be for him!?!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I read this thread from start to finish and what you have done for that dog - literally saving its life - restores my often frayed faith in humanity.:)

You are a truly good person Jimmy and if only there were more out there like you.

• Advertisement

You really did such a great thing for that little dog. No wonder he looks so excited & happy; you ve changed his world !!!

All the hail & savage rain today; he would have been alone & cold & shivering with no shelter or food on a bit of balcony. You really did a miracle for him. Thank you.

Are you still thknking that he will need to go elsewhere or might that brown bag of toys in the background secretly be for him!?!!

She's growing on me :) Even when she's bold, there's just no way to stay mad at her. I'm probably going to wait for my girlfriend to return from her trip (she's volunteering overseas until August) before making the decision.

The only problem with her is that she doesn't really allow for any down time. When I get home in the evenings/night-time, I'll usually get them out for a walk but even then the two dogs are very active playing and wrestling.

But anyways, enough moaning...

Had a quick question... does anyone want to try and identify what breeds might be in Jake? I'm very curious as to what she might be :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Had a quick question... does anyone want to try and identify what breeds might be in Jake? I'm very curious as to what she might be :)
    It's hard to tell when you can't see her tail cos it's wagging so much :D

Just going by the picture of her asleep, the shape of the head & legs reminds me strongly of a JRT, so there might be some of that in her. But I'm really bad at guessing breeds.

i'm going to guess terrier as well, but maybe parson terrier? my cousin used to have a parson x and her head and feet kinda remind me of him. not that i'm any good at guessing breeds either!

and btw, those photos would bring a tear to yer eye. how completely different does she look than in the first photo you posted, how much happier does she look when she's allowed to be a dog and do doggie things? *sniff* :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Don't laugh but I swear I can see some GSD in her face! It's the eyes and nose! And her colour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

My god aren't there some w...Kers out there, some people shouldn't have pets. Makes me sick how some people treat animals. Fair play to you jimmy and your other half it's a pity there isn't more people like ye in this country and a big big heart felt thank you to ye both for looking out for a defenceless poor dog. Fair play to ye.

Magenta wrote: »
    Don't laugh but I swear I can see some GSD in her face! It's the eyes and nose! And her colour!

I think so too :) There's something bull-ish about the head :D

306642_10150874537761307_269969341_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Oh dear, it wasnt her!!!! :D

It was like that when she got there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Just read this thread from beginning to end now. Kicked the desk in anger when I saw the pics and read the story at the start :rolleyes:

But as it went on, the sore big toe doen't seem as bad - jakes rescue and the brilliant pics have worked as an anasthetic lol.

Well done on the rescue and the act of pure selflessness that you and the gf showed in giving Jake a loving home, new friends and toys (the destroyed pillow.....nearly wet myself when I saw it).

Make sure to keep us up to date with her progress.....with plenty of pics :D

Oh JAKE!!!! :D

She's a moo, isn't she?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

She's so brave, saving you from that exploding cushion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Green Eyes, A little bit of the Hulk in him. :)

Don't make him angry like the cushion did earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Macker1 wrote: »
    Green Eyes, A little bit of the Hulk in him. :)

I keep wanting to make a green-eyed monster joke but unless the cushion was a favourite of the cat or the other dog it just doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

She's mine!! I know how to treat green eyed doggies :D Lots of tlc and no cameras. God, couldn't you just eat her up lol

JB - think you really one of the good guys in this crap world. You saw a puppy in a hell of a situation. You stepped up and got involved and because you did, you have a new family member.

Am raising a pint to you and what you and the GF have done (not sure if she was named but she should be lol) Have to know at least nicknames of the proud parents :D

John

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

We went through this when we got our (rescue terrier) - table legs eaten, hole in the back of the sofa, corner of a duvet, lumps of coal etc. - he grew out of it. Looking back, it's funny! You're a good person to help that dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Dogs are hilarious - especially when they have that "bite me" look on their face after engaging in naughty behaviour!!:D

''your evidence is circumstantial. and your cushion was hideous.''

artyeva wrote: »
    ''your evidence is circumstantial. and your cushion was hideous.''

Yeah. I did you a favour getting rid of it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

Been there,had that done to my cushions :D.
    Maybe the cushion started it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

She reminds me very much of my childhood dog, who was, I think a Border Terrier x Jack Russel.

Advertisement