Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbours have deserted dog for a month...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Hi again everybody.

First off, Jake is still very well and happy :)

Unfortunately, due to a change in personal circumstances (my girlfriend & I deciding to break up) we won't be able to keep Jake, and so she will need to be rehomed.

I feel so horrible having to rehome her (I feel like she's being abandoned by people again :( ), but it just won't work with our changing homes and everything else.

As people who have read this thread will know, she's not only a gorgeous dog, but incredibly loving, friendly, playful and just a perfect family dog.
    She truly does deserve a forever home and people that will love her - I hope that she can find it soon.

Here are some pics, and please, please feel free to share this thread with anyone who you know is looking for a dog:

210336.JPG

211238.jpg

211241.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Dont think you are abandoning her. Its not fair on her to be in a home where she cant get the love and attention she deserves , your trying to find her a good home and not just throwing her outside like her previous owners.
    Its a pity it hasn't worked out because the two of them seem to be really good friends:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Galway 11

Contact some animal shelters and see if they would put her pics up on their website, with any luck one of them might be able to take her or maybe put her on a waiting list, so even if they cant take her straight away they could take her in a week or two or maybe be able to put her into a foster home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

So sorry to hear of this. I have often thought of Jake and wondered how she was getting on. Don't feel guilty. You did your very best for Jake. Think of the miserable existence she would otherwise have had if you didn't step in.

She's a lovely dog, and I hope something can be done for her. I'm not sure much can be done here in Cork, but I will try.

Incidentally - did you ever catch up with the scumbag former 'owners'?

<snip>

• Advertisement

Galway 11 wrote: »
    Contact some animal shelters and see if they would put her pics up on their website, with any luck one of them might be able to take her or maybe put her on a waiting list, so even if they cant take her straight away they could take her in a week or two or maybe be able to put her into a foster home

Ach, I don't wanna strain resources for a shelter though, and frankly I'd be worried that she might get put down, or given to people who won't treat her well. She can stay here temporarily, but it's with a view to rehoming.
    So sorry to hear of this. I have often thought of Jake and wondered how she was getting on. Don't feel guilty. You did your very best for Jake. Think of the miserable existence she would otherwise have had if you didn't step in.

She's a lovely dog, and I hope something can be done for her. I'm not sure much can be done here in Cork, but I will try.

Incidentally - did you ever catch up with the scumbag former 'owners'?

Nope, I can't figure out of they returned or not.... they might have moved out in the meantime for all I know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

I would take this lovely girl in a heartbeat, but my cat is a bully who beats up German shepherds for fun!

True story

MajorMax wrote: »
    I would take this lovely girl in a heartbeat, but my cat is a bully who beats up German shepherds for fun!

True story

Poor Jake is still a bit scared and wary of the cat here! :D She realises that felines are bosses!

The majority of animal shelters have a NO KILL policy so they will stay for as long as it takes to find their forever home. Also the new owners will have to pass a homecheck before they go to make sure the new home is safe and secure. They might also be able to put her picture up on their website while you have her if they dont have space at the moment so she may not even need to go into kennels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

OP fair play to you for being determined to see this thru to the last.
    I can understand your reluctance to part with her until you are 100% sure about her new owner and living conditions.
    Having 2 cats would be the obstacle for me, altho she is a gorgeous girl!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Just read through all 11 pages of the thread. Absolutely disgusted with the owners, hope they got a fine or prison!!!

It's such a shame that you can't keep the dog due to circumstances, would it not be possible for you to keep Jake and your gf to keep the other dog?

I would love to take the dog but trying to convince the other person who lives here! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

That is such a terribly sad story, but hopefully will have a happy ending for that lovely little dog.

The amount of ignorance/cruelty regarding animals is just unbelievable.

Our laws are far too lenient with regard to dog ownership, bad breeders, puppy farms etc in this country.

The law needs to change, more funding for the ISPCA and for shelters and last but not least, children need to be taught about animal welfare in schools, so that they grow up knowing how to treat animals.

I could write a book about the number of times I have seen children kick dogs, treat them badly, walk them with ropes rubbing into their necks, abandon them on the main road when bored with them etc etc.

Then we have the types who for some unknown reason, with no real knowledge of animals and the care they need, purchase or avail of dogs, only to leave them all day, either locked in, or tied up in the garden for hours on end. It beggars belief how so few neighbours bother to report such issues and so the poor animals continue to suffer.

These creatures who ask so little and give so much and sense so much more than we realize need proper care and love from day one and if we are not in a position to give it, then the answer is simple; don't get a dog.

One could say that people who treat animals badly are dysfunctional in some way, but then is it not up to their neighbors or those passing by, or calling with mail or whatever to report it? Do we not have a duty to do so?

I have kept dogs all my life and all I have received is the greatest joy, fun, affection, loyalty and the best of company. How many of our fellow human beings can give this kind of unconditional love? How many of us greet each with such enthusiasm, regardless of how we may feel at the end of a long day?

How much longer can one close their eyes to cruelty, just because someone else is the perpetrator and the victim is voiceless?

So sorry about the rant, but feel so passionately about this subject as I know all of you on here does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

OP would it be possible to set up a fb page for Jake to get word out? Just a thought?

Just read through all 11 pages of the thread. Absolutely disgusted with the owners, hope they got a fine or prison!!!

It's such a shame that you can't keep the dog due to circumstances, would it not be possible for you to keep Jake and your gf to keep the other dog?

I would love to take the dog but trying to convince the other person who lives here! :(

No, unfortunately my ex-girlfriend isn't in a position to keep either dog once she moves. It's still up in the air about whether she can take the cat... so there really isn't an option to keep Jake.
    zef wrote: »
    OP would it be possible to set up a fb page for Jake to get word out? Just a thought?

That's actually not a bad idea! I might try some animal rescues first, and if not, then I'll try that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

I too would definitely recommend the Rescue centres, as just putting an add in makes you open to all kinds of callers and sadly unless you have the time to access their home for suitability and a questionnaire to establish if they would even make suitable owners, then as a true animal lover you would always be worried as to what kind of life the little dog was having.

Rescue Centres do make sure that the animals are not just being let off to a fate which could possibly be little better than that which they came from in the first place, so the responsibility is enormous.

Sadly there are huge numbers of good, well meaning people who without giving the idea too much thought, take on a little dog out of kindness and compassion, only to find that they did not consider that they are out all day, garden too small etc etc. Also the feeding, vaccinations, possible medications down the line and so on; all of that needs consideration before committing.

Just down the road from me is someone who keeps bringing in stray pets, which on the face of it sounds very commendable, but the poor lady cannot really afford to feed them good nourishing food, walk them all and so she now has to give them up. So sad that these little guys regained their sense of security only to have it taken from them again and be shuffled around to a new environment.

Just to conclude this story, and let everyone know... I've decided to keep Jake. She's just too much a part of the mini-family now with Molly the dog and Oscar the cat, and it doesn't cost much extra to keep her.

So yeah :) Unless something changes drastically, she has her forever home.

Thanks to everyone on the thread all the way from the start with advice and offers of help and everything else. I'm sure Jake would thank you all too :)

292486_10150891061871307_1525636828_n.jpg

223752_10151047445316307_895470817_n.jpg

46527_10151047445531307_1314941324_n.jpg

282356_10151047445556307_1802790705_n.jpg

66527_10151047445611307_1884184428_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Well done you! that is one lucky lucky little dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Oh I'm delighted Jake has a forever home with you. Fair play to you, brilliant outcome :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Hurray for you and hurray for Jake, I mean how could you resist that face?!
    ps, love the giraffe type cover on that seat!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

aw jimmy, so delighted for her. and you. and that last pic would bring tears to the eyes od a stone :o

• Advertisement

I knew that would happen!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Absolutely delighted! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

Just to conclude this story, and let everyone know... I've decided to keep Jake. She's just too much a part of the mini-family now with Molly the dog and Oscar the cat, and it doesn't cost much extra to keep her.

So yeah :) Unless something changes drastically, she has her forever home.

Thanks to everyone on the thread all the way from the start with advice and offers of help and everything else. I'm sure Jake would thank you all too :)

292486_10150891061871307_1525636828_n.jpg

223752_10151047445316307_895470817_n.jpg

46527_10151047445531307_1314941324_n.jpg

282356_10151047445556307_1802790705_n.jpg

66527_10151047445611307_1884184428_n.jpg

Just read through the thread from the start Jimmy Bottlehead.....one word, "LEGEND". Fair play to ya. I tell ya if Id seen this thread earlier Id have been soooo tempted to offer Jake a home with my 2 gsd's

Jake is so grown up now -She's quite the young lady! I've often thought of her and wondered how she was getting on, so thank you for keeping us posted. :)

Fair play to you JB for taking her on. She'll have a great life with you, with the best of everything.

Did you ever get hold of the scumbag neighbours?

Jake is so grown up now -She's quite the young lady! I've often thought of her and wondered how she was getting on, so thank you for keeping us posted. :)

Fair play to you JB for taking her on. She'll have a great life with you, with the best of everything.

Did you ever get hold of the scumbag neighbours?

Thank you :)

No, they must have come back and left quickly, there's no sign of them. Can't say they're a loss, really!

I'm just glad she's happy and safe here... breaks my heart to think she could have just been left to wander the streets and maybe get killed by a car, or worse around Hallowe'en time... goes to show that there's so many rescue dogs out there that are absolute treasures. All they need is a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

I remember reading this thread originally , very sad indeed . That's fantastic that the dog is now with you Jimmy . Good to see a positive ending to this story .

Thank you :)

No, they must have come back and left quickly, there's no sign of them. Can't say they're a loss, really!

I'm just glad she's happy and safe here... breaks my heart to think she could have just been left to wander the streets and maybe get killed by a car, or worse around Hallowe'en time... goes to show that there's so many rescue dogs out there that are absolute treasures. All they need is a chance.

Perhaps it's just as well they've done a runner. I wouldn't give much for their chances if you (or anybody on here) caught up with them! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Fair play to ye, he looks like he's settled in no bothers..... Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Well done Jimmy Bottlehead! Now let's sort out your diet of chocolate, chocolate biscuits, Oreos and fizzy drinks. ;) Glad to see you have some faults!

• Advertisement

madrabui wrote: »
    Well done Jimmy Bottlehead! Now let's sort out your diet of chocolate, chocolate biscuits, Oreos and fizzy drinks. ;) Glad to see you have some faults!

I noticed that too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I must do something about the brightness on my laptop screen because I suddenly have tears in my eyes.

That picture with the three of them all snoozing on the couch; they look so comfortable and relaxed and safe. I mean, look at her all stretched out like that. I think that's so beautiful. What fantastic news. So so delighted!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

madrabui wrote: »

I was just going to say I wondered if it was the doggies or Jimmy had the "sugar" issue :D

Seriously though, fair play to you Jimmy. She looks so content (as do they all!)

Very often this forum can get bogged down in "this is the right way and this is the wrong way" but what you have done is the right way to be a human being as far as I am concerned!

As I have said before its an amazing thing you've done and I am delighted you popped in to let us know!

Good vibes for you :D

I've just nominated this thread for legendary status :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055791292

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Sounds like the makings of a Hollywood Block buster. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Well done Jimmy!

crying-meme_large.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,576 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Jimmy you've just made my day. I read the first page of the thread and was in tears and was frantically going to the end to find out what happened! And then saw those beautiful pics you posted. Well done, I only wish there were more people like you - the world would be a better place, though it's a better place anyway with you in it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Fantastic stuff Jimmy!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Floggers

Lovely hurling Jimmy, top man, fair play to you, hope you have many happy years with Jake :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Excellent story, the world needs more people like Jimmy, well done mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Fair play, well done etc. etc. A long and happy life to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Well done Jimmy, she's a beauty. Hope ye all have many happy years together :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I'm a sucker for a happy ending. Well done Jimmy, people like you are the antidote to cynicism. May you share many happy years together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Fair Play Jimmy Bottlehead!! Class Act!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Great outcome, fair play for giving her a safe home :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Fair play Jimmy, you will be rewarded :)

Jake is sooo cute...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Lovely happy animals. Great outcome and fair play to you. Wish them a long and happy life together :D

Just to update you guys, Jake hasn't been well lately. Since Christmas time, her co-ordination has been off, and she won't turn her neck to the right. She tends to bump into things on that side too.

Really hoping she recovers. The vet can't figure it out yet, but she's on her third round of antibiotics and steroids to rule out an ear infection or a mite attacking a nerve. If that's not it, it'll be x-ray and then maybe MRI to see if it's neurological :(

Not sure why I'm updating really, but I guess I needed somewhere to vent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Just to update you guys, Jake hasn't been well lately. Since Christmas time, her co-ordination has been off, and she won't turn her neck to the right. She tends to bump into things on that side too.

Really hoping she recovers. The vet can't figure it out yet, but she's on her third round of antibiotics and steroids to rule out an ear infection or a mite attacking a nerve. If that's not it, it'll be x-ray and then maybe MRI to see if it's neurological :(

Sorry to hear that and hope all goes well. Do you know if they've ruled out canine peripheral vestibular syndrome?

Often wondered if you kept her or not. Vestibular disease could be a possibility. I can't say I know alot about it or how its treated but I know it gives symptoms similar to a stroke.

• Advertisement
Advertisement