Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbours have deserted dog for a month...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that and hope all goes well. Do you know if they've ruled out canine peripheral vestibular syndrome?
    ryanf1 wrote: »
    Often wondered if you kept her or not. Vestibular disease could be a possibility. I can't say I know alot about it or how its treated but I know it gives symptoms similar to a stroke.

Thank you so much.

Jake moved down to my parents in Sligo about 18 months ago or so, so she's been so happy down there with an entire countryside to roam and play in, and she gets spoiled by my own family home as well as my grandparents and uncle & aunt who live a minute or so away.

My father has been taking her to the vet so I've asked him to suggest that to the vet as a possibility if it hasn't been considered yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Thank you so much.

Jake moved down to my parents in Sligo about 18 months ago or so, so she's been so happy down there with an entire countryside to roam and play in, and she gets spoiled by my own family home as well as my grandparents and uncle & aunt who live a minute or so away.

My father has been taking her to the vet so I've asked him to suggest that to the vet as a possibility if it hasn't been considered yet.

Afaik, it's not something that every vet would consider straight off. Sounds like she has a great life. Hope she will be ok!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

I hope Jake will be ahppy where he is now and gets well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭AppleD

Aw hope little Jake is ok, the poor girl. You have been so good to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Oh Jake! Very sorry to hear she isn't well. Sending good vibes her way...

Get well soon! xxx

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Ah jayney op, sorry to hear she's not well :(
    Vestibular disease is *usually* accompanied by repetitive circling usually to one side, and they have a distinctive flicking of their eyes from side to side which they can't control. So hopefully that's not what it is, though it does sound neurological/nerve related. Will keep everything crossed for her :)

Good news!! :D:D

Talked to my dad today and he said the vet independently came to the suspicion it IS vestibular disease (great call, OldNotWise, Ryan1 and DBB!) which means its treatable.

She has been given two more days worth of steroids but she's showing signs of improvement.

I'm SO happy :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Lol, don't give me any credit, I cast doubt on it being vestibular disease as she wasn't showing the really classic signs!
    Glad to hear there's a good prognosis for her now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Brilliant news!! I often think of Jake roaming the wilds of Sligo, and really happy to hear she'll be OK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I love this thread. Please keep up posted! She is a trooper and I love the story behind her name. Hope she recovers well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Talked to my dad today and he said the vet independently came to the suspicion it IS vestibular disease (great call, OldNotWise, Ryan1 and DBB!) which means its treatable.

She has been given two more days worth of steroids but she's showing signs of improvement.

You can thank RSPCA Animal Rescue on Discovery Animal Planet for what I know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Delighted. I only suggested vestibular disease as I'd had experience with it. She's lucky to have you and your family. I love this thread :)

Bad news :(

Jake seems to have cancer. Vet thinks it's in the lymph nodes. We're waiting on biopsy results but right now I'm preparing myself for the worst.

Poor thing is only about 5-6 years old. I just don't know what to think. She's still living with my parents so I'm going to go home in the next few days so I get to spend time with her in case her condition deteriorates quickly and before she loses whatever makes her her.

Jake seems to have cancer. Vet thinks it's in the lymph nodes. We're waiting on biopsy results but right now I'm preparing myself for the worst.

Poor thing is only about 5-6 years old. I just don't know what to think. She's still living with my parents so I'm going to go home in the next few days so I get to spend time with her in case her condition deteriorates quickly and before she loses whatever makes her her.
    its only natural to prepare yourself for the worst but try not to jump there before you need to. I remember the last time my guy got sick we knew it was bad but until you get those results you have to be optimistic. That took 2 days and when we got them they painted a pretty hopeless picture but I really think there's no point in going down that road too soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

We all hope she makes it. If it comes to the worst you can hold your head up in the knowledge that Jake had a great few years thanks to yourself and your parents, and she'll be always grateful for that. Just remember where she came from (look at the pic on Page1) and look at where she is now. She's had a great time.

Hope it works out well for ye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭noel50

hope for the best she was loved if she does pass away best of luck and best wishes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Jimmy, she could easily have jumped off that 4th floor balcony of misery. The poor dote somehow had a notion that her life might improve and it did. In spades. While I hope she doesn't have cancer, what you and your parents have done for her over the last few years is marvellous. Kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭snor

Any update Jimmy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

Let us know x

No update yet folks. The vet took a second set of biopsy samples last week, so we should know by the end of this week.

Not sure if the second set is a standard thing or if it's any sort of a good sign but fingers crossed for Jakey.
    She's still unaffected anyways, playing and dancing around the place as usual :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

What a rollercoaster of a thread!! Really hope she's okay but like others have said, you and your family have given her so many happy years of life that she wouldn't have had otherwise. Give her plenty of cuddles when you see her next! Keep us updated.

scdublin wrote: »
    , you and your family have given her so many happy years of life that she wouldn't have had otherwise.
    Whatever happens, never forget this.
    It sounds like she's still able to enjoy life which is great. That means even if its not good news you still have some time together that can be enjoyed. But as I said before, don't go assuming the worst case scenario before you need to.

Got the news. Not good.

She has about 1-2 months to live. It's a very aggressive cancer. We're not considering chemo or tablets because both would be sh1t for her to go through and for only a little extra time that's not even guaranteed.

I actually lost my gran there about 10 days ago, she had been diagnosed with an aggressive cancer too. Not a good end to 2016 :(

Poor Jakey. She's gonna be spoiled rotten and we won't let her suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Got the news. Not good.

She has about 1-2 months to live. It's a very aggressive cancer. We're not considering chemo or tablets because both would be sh1t for her to go through and for only a little extra time that's not even guaranteed.

I actually lost my gran there about 10 days ago, she had been diagnosed with an aggressive cancer too. Not a good end to 2016 :(

Poor Jakey. She's gonna be spoiled rotten and we won't let her suffer.

Only saw this thread a few days ago and I'm genuinely heartbroken :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Only saw this thread a few days ago and I'm genuinely heartbroken :(

Same here!

Treats and hugs +++++ for jakey!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

same :( gutted for you.But you gave her a life she wouldn't have had otherwise so be proud of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

bobskii wrote: »
    same :( gutted for you.But you gave her a life she wouldn't have had otherwise so be proud of yourself.

It's awfully sad indeed. But Bobskii is right Jimmy, if you hadn't of rescued her she'd have gotten ill anyway but she'd have suffered so much more. She can live the rest of her life happy because of what you did for her. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Only read through this all this morning and really enjoyed her journey- but heartbroken now for her.. Jimmy, if her time is coming to an end, it's time to create special memories..a bucket list.Do everything with her one last time take pictures and enjoy her. And, once again, when the time comes...

If it should be that I grow weak 
    And pain should keep me from my sleep, 
    Then you must do what must be done, 
    For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.
    Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
    For this day, more than all the rest,
    Your love for me must stand the test. 

We've had so many happy years.
    What is to come can hold no fears. 
    You'd not want me to suffer so;
    The time has come -- please let me go. 

Take me where my need they'll tend,
    And please stay with me till the end.
    Hold me firm and speak to me, 
    Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see 
    The kindness that you did for me. 
    Although my tail its last has waved, 
    From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve -- it must be you 
    Who had this painful thing to do. 
    We've been so close, we two, these years; 
    Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

What a rollercoaster of a thread this has been.
    As someone who took on a rescue dog for the first time this year, I'm completely sold on the idea now.

What you've done, was an incredible act of generosity, compassion and concern. I'm sure your dog knows this and is thankful for the day you took action. She was going to get this diagnosis anyway, you helped her live life at a peak in the rollercoaster.

RIP to your Grandmother too.

Thanks so much. That poem actually got to me!

If anyone has any ideas for a bucket list for her, I'm all ears as I'm still pretty rattled by the news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Anything she loves. Go eat hamburgers with her. Beach walks. Filet steak.Visit her favorite places,take car trips. Let her come on the couch or sleep in your beds - anything that is a big no no usually.(unless it's damaging to her.) In a few words..spoil her rotten. :'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Just do all the things you've done with her already buddy, you'll know what she likes and doesn't like. Does she have people / other dogs she likes seeing? Take her to see them.

Just spend as much time with her as you can and enjoy the next few weeks/months that you have. Do plenty of the things you spent the last 4 years enjoying together and spoil her a bit more than usual.

Thought I'd dig out a few newer photos of her :)

She has a big smushy head:

403914.jpeg

And gets paint on her ears sometimes...

403915.jpeg

And is a big fan of lie-downs:

403916.jpeg

403917.jpeg

She loves her toys:

403919.jpg

And gives subtle hints that she wants you to throw them...

403920.jpeg

And sometimes finds muffins when out for walks :D

403921.jpg

403922.jpg

403924.jpeg

403923.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭volchitsa

She looks so happy and confident compared to the first pictures you posted of the poor thing left out on a balcony, Jimmy. It's sad she's had this diagnosis, but imagine what those intervening years could have been like if you hadn't got involved. Well done again. And I'm sure she's returned the care and love she got many times over. You deserved it!

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

She's so cute and her eyes are just so loving! I don't know if I can read that article....have me crying in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

So sorry...you did right by her anyway.x

I got home yesterday evening. On the way, my mum told me she's starting going down hill just that day or the day before. And she is. The tumours in her throat have started increasingly affecting her breathing and she can't really eat anything too big or solid.

My folks broke their rule by letting her sleep with me last night in my room. I'd say she still doesn't know what she did right to get to sleep inside on my bed :)

We played there today and she had a lot of fun. But overall, she's nowhere near as happy as she always is, so I think we may out her to sleep this evening.

I'd prefer to be able to do it on a day where she can still eat some food, play outside, go walkies. Leaving it another day or two won't cure her and she won't get any better.

My heart is aching for her though.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Its such a hard decision Jimmy but just remember that even if you don't get to do stuff on her last day, you provided her with SOOOO many years of happiness!

I only started reading this thread recently and read it right back from the start. You are an amazing person for taking her from the situation she was unfortunately left in and you have provided her with a life that was robbed from her before. You made her world a happy place again and never forget that.

Its probably the hardest decision you will make in your life but know that you are making the right decision for her. The poem that someone posted earlier sums up perfectly how a dog feels in this situation. As heartbreaking as those words are, do keep reading that to yourself and have no doubt that you did EVERYTHING right since meeting Jake.

Hugs to you and Jake! xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Such a tough and heartbreaking decision :( I had to make that same decision myself earlier this year and stood firmly on the belief that it's better to let them go a week to early than an hour too late, their last memories will be of happy times where they can run and jump and play, eat all the yummy things they shouldn't be eating (not that is matters at that stage!) and be comfortable enough to enjoy all the cuddles and attention without being in pain.
    Before we let my Dude go, he spend the night in bed with me (which was a major no no as he was incontinant) and had a cup of tea and a biscuit before we headed off. And although he was in pain, we could still see he enjoyed every last second of it.
    I'll be thinking of ye :( xx

Breaking rules is perfectly fine at this stage. We never got a chance to have those last few days and to things like that more than usual.
    You gave her 4 more enjoyable years of life and remember that always. I know too well what it feels like to be able to do absolutely nothing only end their suffering and it takes time for that to go but know you have done everything you could have.

• Advertisement

All done. Buried her there in the field next to our house.

I stayed with her when the vet put her to sleep. Poor thing. I hate that we had to go to the vet and couldn't get a home visit. But we filled today with wafer thin ham and yogurt (both easy to swallow), chasing the balls lots and millions of hugs and cuddles and rubs.

As far as last days go, I think she had as good a one as could be hoped for.

Heart is broken. Poor Jakey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Heart is broken for you. You and your parents made her life incredibly happy. Please take some comfort in that, she passed after a wonderful life, a happy day and surrounded by love.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I'm so sorry for your loss. You were the shining light in her life amongst the darkness of being left out on the balcony. You gave her so much in her life and please think of the happier times you had with her. Mind yourself too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oh Jimmy, I'm so sorry. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Very sorry for your loss.Youre a good person for all you did for Jake

• Advertisement
Advertisement