Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cashing a cheque

Options
  • 25-06-2012 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Hi Can you please tell me what the policy is on cashing cheques?

I do not at the moment have a bank account and I was awarded a prize from a local GAA raffle of €180

They made the cheque out to cash for me, can I pop into their issuing bank and cash the cheque with I.D. ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi Donkathon,

Yes, if the cheque is made out to cash and has no crossing, you can go into the issuing branch with photo ID to cash it. This is subject to there being sufficient funds to meet the cheque, it hasn't been stopped, etc. You can find details of opening hours and directions to all our branches here.

If you have any other queries, please let us know.
    Thanks,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭who what when

Speaking from personal experience its not quite as straightforward as that, particularly if its a substantial amount. When I tried it a few weeks ago i thought they were auditioning me for a quiz show with the amount of questions.
    And the lady behind the counter made no secret that she wasnt happy handling a cheque made out to 'cash'!

Advertisement