Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebarrel a rifle

Options
  • 25-06-2012 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Lads, I want to rebarrel a .243 to a .308. Who do ye recommend to do the work? I heard there are a few lads in the country who can do it now?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭raymonjdevine

Once again .......... thanks ! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

Hi get your self a tikka super varmint in .308 trade your .243 in it will be as cheap if not cheaper you will have it as quick as your sub licence comes back to you no hassle of waiting . unless you want a special rate of twist the rebarrel route is not all cracked up to be i know a few lads sorry the went down that road

The OP has expressed an interest in long distance target work. So the twist rate is secondary. The 30" barrel is the reason i would imagine. A Tikka, while a fine rifle, has what, a 24" barrel. It'll be at a loss from the get go against a 30" or 32" barrelled target rifle.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Ezridax wrote: »
    The OP has expressed an interest in long distance target work. So the twist rate is secondary. The 30" barrel is the reason i would imagine. A Tikka, while a fine rifle, has what, a 24" barrel. It'll be at a loss from the get go against a 30" or 32" barrelled target rifle.

From what i read from below i see no interest in longrange in this post or target work if it is thats a different matter

Lads, I want to rebarrel a .243 to a .308. Who do ye recommend to do the work? I heard there are a few lads in the country who can do it now?

• Advertisement

Check the target forum

Check the target forum

I am looking on this forum and i sent a reply to the op post and i still cant see were he said he was interested in target shooting in this post the op asked

In this thread on going to watch long range target shooting the OP posted about going to the midlands to see it.

In this thread about the last development shoot the OP asked about attending to see what long range is about.

You said not to bother rebarreling as a Tikka will do, and i said that if he is interested in long range then a rebarrel to a 30" (or longer) barrel would be needed. Assuming he went for a rebarrel, and not trade for an FTR rifle. Also assuming he is actually asking about rebarreling for target shooting. Like you i am posting/commenting based on assumptions about what the OP wants to rebarrel his .243 to a .308 for.

Correct me if i'm wrong a 24" barrell will shoot 1000 yards with the right ammo. If the op could not afford a full ftr rig the 24 " would be a good starting point and if 6 months down the road the op decided it was not for him he would still have a decent rifle to trade or keep but by some buying a 30" barreled rifle with the way things are it would be a lot harder to sell or use out stalking there are lots of pros and cons in barrel choice if the op is set on a target rifle that would be a another tread

In this thread on going to watch long range target shooting the OP posted about going to the midlands to see it.

In this thread about the last development shoot the OP asked about attending to see what long range is about.

You said not to bother rebarreling as a Tikka will do, and i said that if he is interested in long range then a rebarrel to a 30" (or longer) barrel would be needed. Assuming he went for a rebarrel, and not trade for an FTR rifle. Also assuming he is actually asking about rebarreling for target shooting. Like you i am posting/commenting based on assumptions about what the OP wants to rebarrel his .243 to a .308 for.

When i read the op tread i took it it was a straight forward rebarell job now i dont know the make of rifle it might not be possible or worth doing again depending on make, action ,stock, trigger it is a big question sometimes it is cheaper to buy new as not all rebarrelled work out

• Advertisement

Correct me if i'm wrong a 24" barrell will shoot 1000 yards with the right ammo.
    A 24" barreled .308 with the right scope, and rail will shoot 1,000 yards. If the OP wants to be competitive later then go for a factory rifle with a 30" barrel, rebarrel his current rifle, build a full custom, buy a custom rig from someone else, etc, etc. However a Tikka against a dedicated FTR rig would, as i've already said, be at a disadvantage.
    If the op could not afford a full ftr rig the 24 " would be a good starting point
    What price do the Tikka's start at? €1,300, €1,400? Another couple and he a brand new FTR factory rifle.
    or use out stalking
    I never recommended that the OP rebarrel, he done that of his own accord. He asked about where he would get it done, and i answered. You recommended the Tikka for a starter, and maybe hunting. As i have not seen any posts from the OP with regards to hunting, and only in threads about long distance i informed you that he only posted in threads about such, and perhaps that is why he is asking about rebarreling rather than buying a 24" Tikka or any other short barrel rifle.
    if the op is set on a target rifle that would be a another tread
    Exactly so i fail to see why this has turned into such a point of contention. He asked a question about who to go to to get his rifle rebarreled, and he got an answer. Everything after that is not thread/topic related, and with this conversation it's only going further off topic.

As you put the link up Here ya go. there are other rifle builders in ireland why not list them all and factor in the time scale involved . I know a few guys were let down by some of the rifle builders not by weeks but months this must be factored in a true picture of whats involved if the op is new to this type of shooting the are in for a wake up call . As far as i can see the op comes from a hunting back ground looking to getting into range shooting i hope the do decide to do a bit of longrange shooting its a great sport

steyrman2 wrote: »
    As you put the link up Here ya go. there are other rifle builders in ireland why not list them all ..............
    I suggested the only one i have used. I would never recommend anyone i have not used.
    ............and factor in the time scale involved . I know a few guys were let down by some of the rifle builders not by weeks but months this must be factored in a true picture of whats involved if the op is new to this type of shooting the are in for a wake up call .
    He never asked for any of that. Only a name. Feel free to add to it.
    As far as i can see the op comes from a hunting back ground looking to getting into range shooting i hope the do decide to do a bit of longrange shooting its a great sport
    Don't know about the hunting back ground, but i hope he at least comes along and has a look and sees if he likes it or would like to try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭raymonjdevine

I only asked who lads would recommend to re barrel a rifle :eek:

My background is hunting but I've done a lot of smallbore target shooting.

Now I fancy long range stuff ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Did anyone ever have a barrel relined rather than replaced ? Some older rifles (nice old mausers etc) would loose value with a replacement barrel but the rifling is worn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

It's about the same cost to reline as it is to replace. I hear where you are coming from - to keep the classic external appearance of the older gun, relining is the only way to go, but here in UK [where there is a greater choice of gunsmiths] that is going to cost you around 600-700eu, depending on the rarity of the calibre and the type of rifle. My 1912 open-sighted Mauser Model B only cost me £80 to begin with, so relining it is definitely out of the question, especially as I keep it for the love of it, and the story that goes with it, rather than use it as a gun-on-the-hill.

An acquaintance of mine, who builds classic-style Rigby sporters for a living, would happlily relieve me of a couple of thousand £££ to replace the barrel and make it look exactly the way it does now...but not being one of you Celtic Tigers, that is way beyond my pay-scale.

tac

Advertisement