Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Test lab setup

Options
  • 25-06-2012 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Im starting off my study for MCSA and later the CCNA and im looking to replicate a working office environment. I know there are technet test labs to aid study but I want to recreate an office environment as closely as possible with the hard ware I have. I think that it will stand to me better if I operate a break and fix network of my own that I can study with.

I want to keep the hardware footprint to a minimum (as im renting). I have a small server, a cisco 2600 and another x24 cisco switch (forget the model) which im going to create a test environment with. Im hoping to separate the domestic network and this virtual office network so as not to effect other peoples internet connectivity while im playing around. Separate VLAN's maybe.

I believe I can get a copy of Microsoft Server 2003/2008 through Dream spark, however im hoping to visualize as I want to create a DC and separate exchange server to begin with. Then hopefully add things like VPN server, application server, print server etc as time goes on. I want to try run an Apache server too to get some time with Linux/Unix configuration but this might be later.

Im just looking for advice from those who have configured this type of network. Maybe im aiming too high here and should just image the server with MS Server and go that direction but im trying to get lots of different experience with limited resources.

Any direction would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Why not use virtual machines? One decent box, load up VMWare ESXi. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

I would not be spending any money on server rental just yet. As JDxtra said, set it all up at in-house using virtualisation (I'd use Virtualbox myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

The Server is not rented. I actually have an old one and its not of a very high spec. Ive never used ESXi and am relatively new to virtualization. Virtualbox sounds like a good option. Any opinion on what the host OS should be?

Oh I see, I misread about the renting thing.

The host OS can be whatever you want, good support for most OS. The limiting factor in a test lab will most likely be the amount of RAM the server has.

What are the server specs (is your laptop or desktop spec good)?

No worries. My laptop doesnt have great specs really. Its about 4 years old. I was thinking of getting another old laptop and installing virtualbox on it. That way I can simulate different client OS configurations and set ups. Windows XP, 7, Vista etc. So I can connect to the server, make AD group policies and test them using a client machine. My only worry is that with the virutalization process, ill be adding additional network complications and headaches. From my experience troubleshooting network problems on virtual machines is a headache. Having said that, my experience is still limited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Taking a realistic look at things, for a MCSA(new or old) you don't need anything besides a half decent 4/+ core machine, loads of ram, a fairly large SSD and a traditional drive for storage.

For the CCNA you need three 2950 or above switch's and the above pc with a good few network ports using add in cards. You can emulate both clients and routers using virtualized Xp clients and a virtualized linux box running GNS3.

I'd start with checking your "old server" and seeing if the processor is capable of running 64bit and has the virtualized extensions. If its doesn't it would be a dead duck in terms of energy usage alone. Let alone the noise(shudder).

If your prepared to throw some money at it, you can get a half decent lab setup.

Crapbag wrote: »
    No worries. My laptop doesnt have great specs really. Its about 4 years old.

If your whiteboxing it doesn't matter, everything is remote desktop into the whitebox.

I was thinking of getting another old laptop and installing virtualbox on it. That way I can simulate different client OS configurations and set ups. Windows XP, 7, Vista etc. So I can connect to the server, make AD group policies and test them using a client machine.

Waste of money. I have a I5 with 8 gigs and a 500gig drive and it struggles with the host OS and one VM running.

My only worry is that with the virutalization process, ill be adding additional network complications and headaches. From my experience troubleshooting network problems on virtual machines is a headache. Having said that, my experience is still limited

ESXI, burn to a CD/DVD. Slot it in, run the install. Configure the network IP and HTTP into the IP. Download the client and connect to the IP when running the client. Vsphere management consoles gives you direct control over the network. You can completely isolate every running VM to certain network ports or simply to a dedicated internal network within the Whitebox. Its piss easy to do.

If your worried about that, I'd drop the MCSA and CCNA and move towards another career.

Hmmmm... maybe I need to pull back on my expectations of what I want to deploy. The old server 64bit capabilities but no virtualization extensions. Sorry im havent posted the actual specs but its not hooked up at the moment and buried amongst other gear. I may have to be content with my crappy gear for now as I cant really afford to throw money at it for the moment.

I might be conservative to begin with. Virtualbox with 2 x MS Server 2003, one as DC and other as exchange server. Then if I get my hands on an old laptop, use it for the client machines or as you mentioned, just use the same box for the client. Ill leave the routing and switching out until I need it and tackle Linux/Unix boxes at a later date. Ill just focus in the MCSA stuff and have an environment I can use in conjunction with CBT nuggets etc.

Im working as level 2 at the minute but havent been in it long. I just want to get up to speed quickly as I find myself tip toeing around. So it would be nice to have something I can trash

If you want to do the MCSA, two servers does not a network make.

I ended up with a couple of DC's, DNS servers, file servers, clients of different types, exchange servers etc. You need a whitebox and a meaty storage array or a large capacity SSD.

Waste of money. I have a I5 with 8 gigs and a 500gig drive and it struggles with the host OS and one VM running.

That is a surprise. VMware or Virtualbox, and what are the OS's involved?

@Crapbag - You do not need to deal with Exchange for MCSA. Server 2003 as VMs will not be a resource hog (once they have booted). Remember, it is only a test lab with you as the only user. I'd move away from Server 2003 at this point.

• Advertisement

druidhill wrote: »

a variety of them, mainly windows OS's. I'm using it to look at Server 8. The issue is that the laptop hard-drive can't handle the IO load. Even when a single VM is running the drive slows to a crawl between the host OS and the VM trying for stupid small caching writes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

What whiteboxing software is best?

ESXI, burn to a CD/DVD. Slot it in, run the install. Configure the network IP and HTTP into the IP. Download the client and connect to the IP when running the client. Vsphere management consoles gives you direct control over the network. You can completely isolate every running VM to certain network ports or simply to a dedicated internal network within the Whitebox. Its piss easy to do.

If your worried about that, I'd drop the MCSA and CCNA and move towards another career.

Ill look into ESXi. Its not even that I dont want to end up with the headaches, not even that they are headaches. Its just when gearing towards certification, its easy to run off on a tangent troubleshooting virtual machines and forget what you're studying. I'd get lots of VM experience :-)
    druidhill wrote: »

@Crapbag - You do not need to deal with Exchange for MCSA. Server 2003 as VMs will not be a resource hog (once they have booted). Remember, it is only a test lab with you as the only user. I'd move away from Server 2003 at this point.

Good point. Server 2008 r2 it is so. Was just thinking it would be slightly less resource heavy on an older machine.

All good advice here. Ill have to play about with different options. Unfortunately I dont have the money to go investing in different hardware at the minute. So im actually looking forward to the challenge of trying to get something suitable with limited resources

Advertisement