Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Canada Oct 2012...

Options
  • 25-06-2012 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey all,

I've just been granted my IEC and plan to move to Canada (specifically Toronto) in Oct. Problem is I'm finding it frustratingly difficult to find information about moving there, can't find any decent websites to check out possible accommodation and the job websites that were recommended to me at an Expo (theworkplace.ca, nicejob.ca, hotjobs.ca etc..) are terrible and look like they haven't been redesigned since 1996.

If someone can recommend any good websites for information on moving to Canada that they have come across, I would seriously appreciate it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pollynat

JenMo wrote: »
    Hey all,

I've just been granted my IEC and plan to move to Canada (specifically Toronto) in Oct. Problem is I'm finding it frustratingly difficult to find information about moving there, can't find any decent websites to check out possible accommodation and the job websites that were recommended to me at an Expo (theworkplace.ca, nicejob.ca, hotjobs.ca etc..) are terrible and look like they haven't been redesigned since 1996.

If someone can recommend any good websites for information on moving to Canada that they have come across, I would seriously appreciate it!

You can try Monster.ca or Workopolis.

Also depends on what type of work you are looking at. They tend to be everything corporate.
    For accomodation, I would recommend a hostel first, as you really need to see the areas you want to live in before you rent somethings.
    HighPark, Yonge/Eglinton, Yonge/StClair, Yonge/Davidson, are good areas.

Normally to get an apartment you would need a letter of employment and first and last months rent..

Happy planning, you'll be grand once you get here !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

if you want to land on your feet, apply for a job at a tim hortons (big chain of coffee shops here) as soon as you arrive. they hire literally everyone, and it'll be a job to keep you going and show potential landlords that you're working, then you can worry about getting something decent afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

What line of work are you looking for Jen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JenMo

I've got a degree in Film and Video Production so anything related to media whatsoever. That's the ideal area anyway, the ultimate goal. Like Helix mentioned above, I know I'll have to get any auld job to tide me over in the meantime. I'm wondering if a job in an Irish pub would be a possibility, though I've no bar experience :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15 irishoverseas

Hey all,

www.gc.ca www.loonlounge.com for info on jobs etc www.kijiji.com/toronto or www.rentfaster.ca for accomodation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

I'm wondering if a job in an Irish pub would be a possibility, though I've no bar experience :(

from speaking to a couple of chaps running irish bars, don't even bother handing in your cv. despite being of irish descent, they won't hire irish people because they're apparently horribly unprofessional

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Helix wrote: »
    from speaking to a couple of chaps running irish bars, don't even bother handing in your cv. despite being of irish descent, they won't hire Irish people because they're apparently horribly unprofessional

depends on the bar i know a girl from athlone who mc veighs hired mc veigh generally will only hire an Irish girl i met Irish people working in the beer store and other places

beer store in Ontario is the government run store for beer u will see a few odd things when u come over like u cant buy beer or alcohol in a store u have to buy it from the beer store or lcbo which both are government run

u could also try temping http://ca.drakeintl.com/default.aspx is a good agency they pay better than others theres also kelly services but they pay less than drake for the same job

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JenMo

pollynat wrote: »
    You can try Monster.ca or Workopolis.

Also depends on what type of work you are looking at. They tend to be everything corporate.
    For accomodation, I would recommend a hostel first, as you really need to see the areas you want to live in before you rent somethings.
    HighPark, Yonge/Eglinton, Yonge/StClair, Yonge/Davidson, are good areas.

Normally to get an apartment you would need a letter of employment and first and last months rent..

Happy planning, you'll be grand once you get here !

Thanks for the all the info. Did you find accommodation very expensive? I was told it's New York prices which I'd imagine is quite pricey...

Advertisement