Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yeast and sugar measurements?

Options
  • 25-06-2012 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

right i'v watched some vids on youtube with people using 2litres of 100% fruit juice and followed the instructions 100% and everything else and when it was supposedly ready i filtered through a thin clothe (grandmother told me thats what they used in the old day thanks nan x) and had 1 glass of it i knew for a fact i wasnt drunk but there was something some kind of high like sniffing petrol or something for a buzz. is this wrong? and are there proper measurement for how much yeast (im currently using bakers yeast) to how much sugar?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Are you in prison?

I don't know what you were expecting to get by adding bakers yeast to fruit juice, but it's never going to be pleasant, as you've now discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭chris2286

BeerNut wrote: »
    Are you in prison?

I don't know what you were expecting to get by adding bakers yeast to fruit juice, but it's never going to be pleasant, as you've now discovered.

ha ha no prison ya see i started about a month ago so im still a real proper noob and i googled how to make your own homemade wine the easy way and 100's of vids showed fruit juice and if you didnt have wine yeast bakers yeast would also do so i did.

but the main question is how do i measure the sugar with the yeast like 1 cup of sugar to added with how many grams of yeast

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

chris2286 wrote: »
    how do i measure the sugar with the yeast like 1 cup of sugar to added with how many grams of yeast
    You shouldn't be measuring the yeast, or even letting anything touch the yeast. Proper yeast comes in single-use portions: usually dried in a packet of about 10g. These provide enough viable cells for almost any normal-strength homebrew batch from 5L up to 30, and maybe more.

My advice:
    don't use bakers yeast
    don't use fruit juice
    don't use sugar
    if you want make something that's nice to drink.

All that said, if you really want to know how much yeast is best to use in any given batch, you'll find the answer here.

thanks for the link man very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

You can use Fruit Juice ciders/ wines to make drinkable beverages, but it actually takes a lot of skill to make them taste nice or pleasant to drink.

As an alternative to bread yeast, use wine or cider yeast, it makes a huge difference.

It is actually easier to follow a home brew recipe properly to obtain a pleasant drink. Honey wines for instance, with perhaps something to flavour it (like pulped fruit, spices or herbs) are really nice and are super easy to make.

• Advertisement

Honey wines for instance, with perhaps something to flavour it (like pulped fruit, spices or herbs) are really nice and are super easy to make.[/QUOTE]

iv actually only seen the honey one bein made last night. the nicest homemade wine i ever had but was giving to me was strawberry and banana it was around 21% and man it would blow the head off ya but you couldnt help but to drink more

Advertisement