Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland needs a taoiseach with this guys attitude

• 25-06-2012 5:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭

He is dead right, its an absolute must, its been going on for far too long now, the growth of our social welfare problem is almost exponential at this stage.

A lot of the new policies he mentions are quite similar to scandinavian countries.

http://news.sky.com/home/politics/article/16252690

Snippet:
    David Cameron has outlined moves toward slashing benefits for families and young people - warning that the welfare system is causing deep social divisions.

The Prime Minister has laid out plans to strip housing benefit from the under-25s, forcing them to live with their parents.
    He has also floated time-limited unemployment benefit, and hinted at restricting handouts for those who have large numbers of children.
    To his core supporters, Mr Cameron's welfare crackdown is a new solution to an old problem - how to make sure people do not do better out of work than in it.
    But, to his detractors, it is a cruel shifting of the goalposts, with the Government ducking its responsibility to ensure the economy generates employment.
    Undeterred, the Prime Minister said: "We have, in some ways, created a welfare gap in this country - between those living long-term in the welfare system and those outside it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

no we need reform not simple cuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Oh yeah, we need him alright because you know, the UK is doing so well :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

sup_dude wrote: »
    Oh yeah, we need him alright because you know, the UK is doing so well :rolleyes:

Did i say anything about needing him ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Ah , I was thinking only the other day that After Hours was overdue a Social Welfare bashing thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

There isn't a container large enough in existence to hold all the popcorn one would need for this thread.

Actually, I'm not a big fan of popcorn. It gets stuck in your teeth for feckin' DAYS even if you brush and floss to the point where you're bleeding out. No, no popcorn for me.

I think I might sit down with a nice packet of digestives - my GF just bought me a pack the other day. I think I'll sit down, grab my biccies, and then go about the business of this thread.

I can't now though because I'm at work (although I'm technically on my lunch break so I'm not skiving.) As I mentioned in a different thread I'm thinking about buying shoes. I'm looking to get a pair of nice balmoral oxfords, tan preferably with a leather sole. My budget is $200. You'd think it would be easy but it's bloody not. I've gone to so many places and it seems most don't stock this type of shoe anymore; not only that but those that do tend to be speciality stores. I was quoted $500 for a pair in a store the other day and that's just too much stretch for me.

I'll return to this thread later on this evening, maybe after dinner. I've been told that I'm having roasted chicken with stuffing. I'm looking forward to that. I'll probably have a beer with dinner and then when I'm fully sated, and probably half-exhausted I'll come back to this with a digestive to see what state it's in.

• Advertisement

Overflow wrote: »
    Did i say anything about needing him ?

*Looks at title of thread* Erm... well yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yes because the best way to engage with a disaffected underclass, such as we saw during the London riots, is to make them homeless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

There isn't a container large enough in existence to hold all the popcorn one would need for this thread.

Actually, I'm not a big fan of popcorn. It gets stuck in your teeth for feckin' DAYS even if you brush and floss to the point where you're bleeding out. No, no popcorn for me.

I think I might sit down with a nice packet of digestives - my GF just bought me a pack the other day. I think I'll sit down, grab my biccies, and then go about the business of this thread.

I can't now though because I'm at work (although I'm technically on my lunch break so I'm not skiving.) As I mentioned in a different thread I'm thinking about buying shoes. I'm looking to get a pair of nice balmoral oxfords, tan preferably with a leather sole. My budget is $200. You'd think it would be easy but it's bloody not. I've gone to so many places and it seems most don't stock this type of shoe anymore; not only that but those that do tend to be speciality stores. I was quoted $500 for a pair in a store the other day and that's just too much stretch for me.

I'll return to this thread later on this evening, maybe after dinner. I've been told that I'm having roasted chicken with stuffing. I'm looking forward to that. I'll probably have a beer with dinner and then when I'm fully sated, and probably half-exhausted I'll come back to this with a digestive to see what state it's in.

good luck I hope you get nice shoes:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

By forcing people to live with their parents surely you are hampering the employment prospects of people from rural areas who have gone to college but have no employment opportunities where they are from but stand a good chance of finding employment somewhere else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

There's a need for reform alright but we did have unemployment as low as 4% not too long ago, this strongly suggests that the vast majority of people want to work.

Retrain, up skill, make it easier for existing business's to operate ect ect.

Why not crack down on the ten thousand children who live abroad who are in receipt of child benefit from Ireland at a cost to the State of €20m annually or on the thousands of people who are welfare tourists first.
    I'm sure there's more areas we can save money on that are fair for everyone.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/resentment-is-growing-as-the-dole-queues-get-longer-1720332.html
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ash-cloud-crisis-exposes-welfare-tourists-2245558.html

• Advertisement

Yes you are right, it requires a shift in the way people think, it wont be easy and it will take a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

good luck I hope you get nice shoes:cool:

Thanks. I'll keep you updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

So what we need is a taoiseach to make a rousing speech to appease his unhappy grass root support, while all the time knowing that those sweeping changes haven't a hope of been implemented because there is no way his coalition partners would agree to any of it? In other words, a bull****ter of the highest order - no thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Ah yes - the man who is the product of inherited wealth complains about people's sense of entitlement to money they didn't actually work for. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

That ash cloud bollocks has been debunked here numerous times.
    Reports that the recent Icelandic ash cloud prevented non-Irish nationals from flying into the country to sign on the dole have been exposed as an urban myth by the Department of Social Protection.

It had been suggested that an increase in the number of 'no shows' at social welfare offices in April and May was evidence of 'welfare tourism' with foreign residents unable to jet in to claim their payments. But figures supplied to the Sunday Tribune show that if anything there were fewer 'no shows' for the week ending 18 April, when airport closures were at their height, than when they were operating normally.

Just over 3,500 people failed to sign on the live register in the period ending 18 April when airports were closed, just 2.3% of the 151,000 who were due to sign on.

The number of no shows in the week ending 21 February, when the ash cloud was not a factor, was 3,311, which represents 2.2% of the 152,000 due to sign on. The percentage of no shows in March was 3.9%, the figure for May was 2.2% and the figure for June was 2.5%. "There was no significant difference ... compared to weeks where the volcanic ash was not a factor," a department spokeswoman explained.

In July 2008 then social welfare minister Mary Hanafin changed the system so that all new claimants have to attend their local post office weekly to get paid. Pre-July 2008 claimants are still paid into their bank accounts and so do not have to turn up.
    http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2010/jul/11/volcanic-welfare-tourism-exposed-as-urban-myth/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Not a chance in hell we need social welfare cuts. The worst off in society have suffered enough and during the recession the gap between rich and poor has widened. This society is a divided society and to be honest a lot of what I see directed at recipients of a social welfare are indicative of a general dislike of people born into less fortunate circumstances. And no Im not on social welfare by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Camerons a tool.

Its all well and good bringing in reform that wont affect him or anyone in his immediate family/social circle.

As a 24year old, unemployed graduate this housing benefit thing will leave me homeless.

Theres no room for me to live with my mum and dad. If my 'time limited' jobseekers runs out I am screwed altogether as there are NO JOBS.

The economy is so bad that shops are closing and people are losing work. Nothing new is being generated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Ah yes - the man who is the product of inherited wealth complains about people's sense of entitlement to money they didn't actually work for. :rolleyes:

I know a ton of people complaining about social welfare who recieved in essence welfare from their parents for doing nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

''David Cameron has outlined moves toward slashing benefits for families and young people - warning that the welfare system is causing deep social divisions.

The Prime Minister has laid out plans to strip housing benefit from the under-25s, forcing them to live with their parents.
    He has also floated time-limited unemployment benefit, and hinted at restricting handouts for those who have large numbers of children.
    To his core supporters, Mr Cameron's welfare crackdown is a new solution to an old problem - how to make sure people do not do better out of work than in it.
    But, to his detractors, it is a cruel shifting of the goalposts, with the Government ducking its responsibility to ensure the economy generates employment.
    Undeterred, the Prime Minister said: "We have, in some ways, created a welfare gap in this country - between those living long-term in the welfare system and those outside it.''

Didnt this guy dodge inheritance tax when he inherited a million pound estate after being eton college educated?

Coming from him,i dont think it gives the argument much credence,what is he really saying when he says people on the dole should ''work'' for their handouts?

Btw i agree with him on the subject of those who have lots of kids just to get more welfare,and it should be limited to 2 children..

But the other side of it is these free welfare work schemes,these free labour schemes create unemployment,making them mandatory is a huge mistake,creating an unemployment market.

Take fas and jobbridge in ireland for example,they suck what could have been a paid job advertised right out of the communities they proport to ''help''..

If you look at the positions advertised on their website you can see they could have been(And should have been) paid jobs..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

rabble rabble social welfare rabble rabble public service rabble rabble politicians etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Moves to force those happy to live on benefits to work should have been taken when the Celtic Tiger was booming, not when people who have paid into the system for years and lost their job are at their most vulnerable.

They should be trying to stimulate growth rather than cutting welfare at this point in time.

• Site Banned Posts: 222 ✭✭bee_keeper

Yes you are right, it requires a shift in the way people think, it wont be easy and it will take a long time.

unfortunatley we dont have time

reform is a nice little fuzzy inoffensive , non specific , generalised open ended term which goverment apparatchiks love to use

sitting on the fence beard stroking is no longer an option

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

its all very well saying cut more welfare,cut more welfare,but where is the job creation in all this,does he not realise outside his million pound inheritance bubble and his own salary bubble,there are people strugging with the current standard of expense living with property tax and bills etc..

He should be made to live on welfare for a whole year to see the dilemmas people go through on it..

Its all very well tough talking stance on welfare recipients but what has cameron done to create jobs..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

It's amazing how much some people glorify rich politicians cutting the money from the most vulnerable in society.

Let's face it they've voted for that ilk for many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

This is the man who left his child behind in a pub .............:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Digestives AND roast chicken with stuffing on a Monday. Thats decadence that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

He is dead right, its an absolute must, its been going on for far too long now, the growth of our social welfare problem is almost exponential at this stage.

A lot of the new policies he mentions are quite similar to scandinavian countries.

Snippet:
    David Cameron has outlined moves toward slashing benefits for families and young people - warning that the welfare system is causing deep social divisions.

Undeterred, the Prime Minister said: "We have, in some ways, created a welfare gap in this country - between those living long-term in the welfare system and those outside it.

Hard to argue with any of those mentioned. The trouble is now is not a great time to be implementing them with next to no jobs available.

But they make perfect sense for normal times. Particularly the one about capping the money unemployed baby making machines can get. I'd cap it at 3 children.

Also there should be a time limit on the dole. After a couple of years you drop down to vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

Forcing adults to live with their parents is an odd one.

Would welfare payments be enough to support the adult child or would the parents be expected to continue to support them?

Also, I wonder what the effect would be on the young adult, having independence curbed until such a late age.

Mind boggling..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Cameron heads a country with some of the biggest welfare spongers on the planet. Just look at that Windsor family, for example ---:):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It's utterly pathetic how easy it is to divide and conquer.

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Cameron heads a country with some of the biggest welfare spongers on the planet. Just look at that Windsor family, for example ---:):):)

How dare you, British royal family.... best in the world... British wasters... best in the world...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

similar to scandinavian countries.

Was about to say F off and live there so.... then.... well.... carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

It was quite funny then that when Barack Obama came to Ireland and says "Yes we can" everyone was so happy and optimistic. Pity he was the head of the most in debt country in the world.

:rolleyes:

Casillas wrote: »
    Forcing adults to live with their parents is an odd one.

Would welfare payments be enough to support the adult child or would the parents be expected to continue to support them?

Also, I wonder what the effect would be on the young adult, having independence curbed until such a late age.

Mind boggling..

I think it means the parents wouldn't need rent (or as much) living at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭paul4green

He's dead right. I'm from a council estate in Dublin and I'm fed up with these "mammy's and daddy's" who are mine own age,18(AND YOUNGER!!).

They join this Social Welfare gravy train once they pop a baby. It makes me sick what they're entitled to. My sister's friend is one of them and I know her well.

€400 before the baby was born from the social welfare relieving officer BEFORE the baby is born. Got this payment twice. Referred to him as a "scabby C.u.n.t" and did he not know how dear maternity clothes were.

She and her drug dealing bf now have 2 kids. They're on €380 a week. live in a 2 bed apt on rent allowance costing ~€1000 a month. Along with a €300 child benefit payment on the first Tuesday of the month. To top it all off they get SVP every bloody week and use their vouchers to get the groceries!!

The Social Welfare system encourage young women from poor areas to have a baby and they see this as "being sorted". It's a really scummy attitude and has to stop.

The options for kids where I live are have a baby, get a job or do a plc. Very few end up going on to 3rd level education. I can count on one hand how many of the people where I live have gone to college, I count myself lucky :)

As my nan said to me one they, they should put the pill in their bloody porridge. It's a wrong attitude to think you can scrounge off the welfare system for the rest of your lives.

It's not right.

• Advertisement

*Looks at title of thread* Erm... well yeah

Fail, says we need a man with his attitude. Not him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

What he is proposing is reforms and not cuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Snippet:

Meanwhile back in the real world..... soup kitchens.
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/26446-soup-kitchen-new-face-recession

We don't have Cameron's problems and you certainly don't. What we need is jobs. That's the actual reality. There aren't gonna come from this government or their plans and that I can agree with.

Back when we had 4% unemployment this wasn't an issue. What we should be doing is focusing in on efforts to grow the economy. As Google, facebook Vodafone et al are bending over backwards to invest our government are busying themselves with schite talk and local politics.

paul4green wrote: »
    To top it all off they get SVP every bloody week and use their vouchers to get the groceries!!

The more i hear of what they (SVP) spend their money on the less likely i am to give them anything ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

We should have people fight for social welfare payment.
    People can place bets on who is going to win and the government get 5% of all wining

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Snippet:

and what about those of us under 25s who dont have the option of living with parents:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

woodoo wrote: »
    The more i hear of what they (SVP) spend their money on the less likely i am to give them anything ever again.

The local volunteers will tell you where your money goes. One of the best organisations to give money, time or stuff to IMO.

Samich wrote: »
    Fail, says we need a man with his attitude. Not him.

Same principle...

Samich wrote: »
    It was quite funny then that when Barack Obama came to Ireland and says "Yes we can" everyone was so happy and optimistic. Pity he was the head of the most in debt country in the world.

:rolleyes:

Not getting the relevance? :confused:

PucaMama wrote: »
    and what about those of us under 25s who dont have the option of living with parents:mad:

That's the problem right there, this sense of entitlement you seem to have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Patrick Cleburne

Of course he is right. Young teenage girls getting pregnant only so they can get a house and claim housing benefit. That is why there is a huge problem with the welfare system. They know the system inside and out.

About time they take some responsibility for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Of course he is right. Young teenage girls getting pregnant only so they can get a house and claim housing benefit. That is why there is a huge problem with the welfare system. They know the system inside and out.

About time they take some responsibility for themselves.

Nice one there Patrick.

That's the problem right there, this sense of entitlement you seem to have.

Not a sense of entitlement, just a sense of not wanting to live on the streets.

The next ****ty thread you create will no doubt be "were did allz da homeless come frm??!1111, dem junkies should b locked up!111!!".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Patrick Cleburne

Nodin wrote: »
    Nice one there Patrick.
    Can't argue against it because it is true and everyone knows that is the major problem. It is despicable bringing a young child into the world not because you want a child but because you want the child benefit and housing benefit.

See it all the time. It is time these people get sent to working camps and learn how not to become the filth of society.

Nodin wrote: »
    Nice one there Patrick Keith.

FYP :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement