Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland needs a taoiseach with this guys attitude

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

We don't have men like David Cameron here in Politics, they are all rat basterds here out to make as much as they can for themselves and all those connected to them, damn the people and damn the rules what ever the damage as they have the power to do as they please. Uneducated parasites and or slimy greedy connected pigs.

English Politics is different, many of them have a proper education, even Nick Griffin went to Cambridge, all we have over here are idiots and scumbags who inherit their family seat or buy it through dirty connections,we are screwed over here until there is a war or revolution after which the likes of Fianna Fail and Fine Gail will be banished to the history books.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

If you had €1m in cash and you could stick it on deposit in Ireland and pay 30% DIRT on any interest or stick it on deposit in the Isle of Man and pay no tax on any interest, which would you do?

(Just a theoretical example - Not claiming that you can do this)

There is nothing legally or morally wrong about arranging one's afffairs in the most efficient way possible and in accordance with the law.

In your opinion. David Cameron expressed the opinion that it was morally wrong.

But then it turned out his Dad had done just that.

This is the issue that people have.

But that's not comparing like with like.

Jimmy Carr allegedly entered into an aggressive income tax avoidance shelter which I understand is being challenged by HMRC on technical grounds. That's "I pay lots of income tax...what contrived mechanisms are out there to help me pay no tax". Legal? Perhaps (that remains to be seen). Moral? Probably not.

My understanding is that Cameron's father took "after tax" money out of the UK to set up a hedge fund in a foreign jurisdiction. Profits and gains arising to the fund wouldn't be taxable in the UK but they would if they were repatriated to the UK. That's a simple case of "I want to do X (set up a hedge fund). There are a few ways to do it. I'm opting for the most tax efficient one". Legal? Absolutely. Moral? Absolutely. What Cameron's father did is no better or worse than a GP deciding to incorporate so he can max out his pension contributions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Cameron is doing such a fine job that Jersey is not threatening to break away from the UK http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/26/jersey-threatens-independence-tax-backlash.

His bully boys tactics re:Scotland are pushing them closer to independence. Jersey is grumbling now.

Cameron may succeed in actually dismantling the United Kingdom - SF must just love him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Look, I accept that we spend too much on Welfare, but it really saddens me that there's a bigger witch hunt and more venom directed at genuine social welfare claimants than there is against the financial class which got us into this mess in the first place.

In other words, my position is, by all means make whatever cuts are necessary to fix our economy, but not before everyone named as a crook in the tribunals and anyone who was connected to the Anglo scandals has actually had justice served, even if that jutice does indeed mean walking away freely.

It's absolutely astonishing that so many people in the country are willing to put up with that, yet spit daggers at the entire social welfare class including those who are in it through no choice or fault of their own. Seanie, Drumm, Ahern etc are far bigger monsters and should be dealt with first.

The cuts and taxes we have to endure would be a far less bitter pill to swallow if we knew that those responsible for them were being forced to pay for their roles in causing it.

Amen to that. Blaming people isn't good enough. I will need to see people in jail (in some cases for life) for what they've done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

squod wrote: »
    Look, I accept that we spend too much on Welfare, but it really saddens me that there's a bigger witch hunt and more venom directed at genuine social welfare claimants than there is against the financial class which got us into this mess in the first place.

In other words, my position is, by all means make whatever cuts are necessary to fix our economy, but not before everyone named as a crook in the tribunals and anyone who was connected to the Anglo scandals has actually had justice served, even if that jutice does indeed mean walking away freely.

It's absolutely astonishing that so many people in the country are willing to put up with that, yet spit daggers at the entire social welfare class including those who are in it through no choice or fault of their own. Seanie, Drumm, Ahern etc are far bigger monsters and should be dealt with first.

The cuts and taxes we have to endure would be a far less bitter pill to swallow if we knew that those responsible for them were being forced to pay for their roles in causing it.

Amen to that. Blaming people isn't good enough. I will need to see people in jail (in some cases for life) for what they've done.

We can't jail them for incompetence though.

Unless it can be proven that crimes took place, nothing will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

We can't jail them for incompetence though.

Unless it can be proven that crimes took place, nothing will happen.

Reading a paper now and then would help. Lenihans guff about Europe making him save all the banks, his mates and anyone who visted the tent in Galway vs reality. That the decisions that were made (and are being made) were unilateral, made in the dead of night and without consulting Europe.

It's an absolute disgrace that a bunch of farmers from Cork were the first people from this country to ask for a write down on the banking debt. With all the anger and vile you seem to be able to show to some minority in this country, you won't extend your feelings to those who caused you such pain in the first place. As a nation we're the laughing stock of the world.

While Greece is set to receive another 70-€100bn in write downs, these FG criminals want us to shut up and take FFs punishment for them.

Advertisement